GTX 1080/1070 EVGA Cards Reportedly Catching Fire Due To VRMs Overheating

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by hmscott, Oct 29, 2016.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 & 1070 EVGA Cards Reportedly Catching Fire & Dying Due To VRMs Overheating
    http://wccftech.com/nvidia-gtx-1080-1070-evga-cards-dying/

"A devastating issue plaguing Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 & GTX 1070 cards from EVGA causing them to burn out and die has been discovered. This came about after reports of EVGA ACX GTX 1080 and GTX 1070 cards suddenly going up in smoke started to pile up over the past week.

Hundreds of GTX 1080 and GTX 1070 owners have come out on EVGA’s forum ( #1, #2), the Nvidia ( #1,#2 ), Build A PC & PC Master Race subreddits to describe their shock as they saw their graphics cards literally go up in flames.
    One user reported his computer suddenly shutting down with a bright orange flame gushing out of his graphics card. While another reported seeing sparks followed by the screen suddenly turning black in the middle of a gaming session with foul smelling chemical smoke subsequently pouring out of his machine.

EVGA’s Entire Range Of Nvidia GTX 1080 & GTX 1070 Featuring The ACX Cooler 3.0 Is Affected"

Reddit thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterra..._gtx_1080_and_1070_cards_reportedly_catching/

"What To Do If You Have An Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Or GTX 1070 From EVGA"...

"ALL EVGA GTX 1070 models, and 1080 models that use the ACX 3.0 COOLER. *Except the Classified Edition according to the article"

Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
    Dr. AMK, Georgel, Paloseco and 5 others like this.
  2. hmscott

Reputations:
    EVGA MOSFET Failure Possible From Runaway Thermal Scenario
    By Steve Burke Published October 28, 2016 at 3:06 pm
    http://www.gamersnexus.net/news-pc/2661-evga-mosfet-failure-possible-from-thermal-runaway-scenario

"...The good news is that EVGA has already promised free provision of thermal pads for DIY modding by users. In our discussion with EVGA's Jacob Freeman on the phone, we also learned that EVGA would replace users' cards at no charge to the user. An owner would have to send the device in to EVGA in order to receive a new device with the thermal pads pre-applied. EVGA's thermal pad mod brings operating temperature of the VRM closer to 75C, which is actually pretty damn good. That allows more than enough amperage to the GPU, and ensures more efficient operation. The company deserves credit for this rapid response and free solution to an issue that we are still trying to understand.

We have also been informed that the factory is now making changes to products as they ship, ensuring that new batches of the GTX 1080 FTW and 1070 FTW products will include thermal pads pre-installed."

Dr. AMK, Jarhead and houstoned like this.
  3. hmscott

Reputations:
    Optional EVGA Thermal Pad Mod Request
    http://www.evga.com/thermalmod/

"The test used in the referenced review from Toms Hardware (Germany) is running under Furmark, an extreme usage case, as most overclockers know. We believe this is a good approach to have some idea about the graphics card limit, and the thermal performance under the worst case scenario. EVGA has performed a similar qualification test during the design process, at a higher ambient temperature (30C in chamber) with a thermal coupler probe directly contacting the key components and after the Toms Hardware (Germany) review, we have retested this again. The results in both tests show the temperature of PWM and memory is within the spec tolerance under the same stress test, and is working as originally designed with no issues.

With this being said, EVGA understands that lower temperatures are preferred by reviewers and customers.

During our recent testing, we have applied additional thermal pads between the backplate and the PCB and between the baseplate and the heatsink fins, with the results shown below.

We will offer these optional thermal pads free of charge to EVGA owners who want to have a lower temperature. These thermal pads will be ready soon; and customers can request them starting Monday, October 24th, 2016. Also, we will work with Toms Hardware to do a retest."

Request Your Optional EVGA Thermal Pad Mod
    Please check to ensure your shipping details below are correct. If you would like to ship your EVGA Thermal Pad to another address, please update your details below.

You must be logged into your EVGA account to request an EVGA Thermal Pad.
    MEMBER LOGIN or REGISTER NOW

Dr. AMK and houstoned like this.
  4. houstoned

houstoned Yoga Pants Connoisseur.

Reputations:
    i've been on the EVGA 10xx-series forum for about 4-5 months now and i see more threads reporting problems compared to threads that contain satisfied customers. my 1080 FTW Hybrid is the first EVGA product i've owned, so i don't have much experience with them. there seems to be this fanboy-like cult that posts on that forum. if i said ANYTHING good about another brand, or anything bad about EVGA, there would be a bunch of computer ninjas jumping in to defend EVGA like i just insulted their child. there would be alot of guys that liked to bash on any other product that was not branded EVGA as well. alot of the members over there annoyed the crap out of me.

i don't know what the issue is, but there seems to be some kind of quality control issue going on with EVGA. u can just goto the 10xx-series section of their forum and read complaint thread after complaint thread. my first 1080 FTW Hybrid was also the only 1080 that i had issues with. my MSI 1080 FE and Asus STRIX 1080 OC worked flawlessly -- straight plug and play. i'm glad that their customer service took care of me and my 2nd Hybrid is working well so far. i'm just not all in on their hype yet. the copper plate in the Hybrid covers the GPU and VRAM's, so i don't think Hybrid owners are effected by this "situation".

TomJGX and hmscott like this.
  5. hmscott

Reputations:
    Unrelated VRM component issue causing Black Screen issues:

GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100%
    http://forums.evga.com/GTX-1080-FTW-Black-screen-fans-spin-up-to-100-m2530081.aspx

"EDIT BY EVGA (10/24/2016)
    Recently, there are many customers wanting to know more details about the EVGA GeForce 1080 FTW “Black Screen” issue and we believe we need to make a clear statement to clear all kinds of speculation.

The EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW “Black Screen” issue was fixed as of the first week of September and this has been confirmed by all users who have received the replacement units with the issue resolved. Also, all new production has been confirmed to not have this issue after the first week of September.

This previous black screen issue was caused by On Semiconductor (VRM IC Manufacturer) VRM IC’s being out of spec, triggering the OCP (Over Current Protection) and will not cause any damage to your system. The percentage of the IC’s that were out of spec has been confirmed by On Semiconductor and is approximately 3% to 4%. Since then, EVGA and On Semiconductor have worked out the solution and RMA replacement action a couple months ago as we stated above. At this moment, all of the EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW’s have been corrected and all products in the field are working properly.

If you have any questions, please contact our support directly at: support@evga.com.

Thanks,
    EVGA"

6. TomJGX

TomJGX I HATE BGA!

Reputations:
    Wow thanks for heads up @hmscott.. Had someone I know building a PC with EVGA 1080.. Have been able to warn them about this hopefully they didn't buy one yet..

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

houstoned and hmscott like this.
  7. hmscott

Reputations:
    Glad you caught the news and could head off any potential problems :vbthumbsup:

TomJGX likes this.
  8. i_pk_pjers_i

i_pk_pjers_i As you're falling down, my heart beats the same

Reputations:
    It's not just 1070s and 1080s that are affected, it's 1060s too: http://www.tomshardware.de/nvidia-g...ikkarten-roundup,testberichte-242152-2.html#3

ANY PASCAL GPU BY EVGA USING ACX 3.0 IS AFFECTED.

You can request thermal pads for free at http://www.evga.com/thermalmod/

However, at the same time, the issue may not be as bad as we think it is. There was a reddit user who did a ton of different tests (even under multiple games at multiple fan speeds which is very useful) showing that the issue may not be as bad as we think it is. https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/58sf6q/thermal_imaging_of_evga_gtx_1070_ftw_under_load/

Said reddit user will also test his temps during those multiple different conditions after he has installed the thermal pads.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
    houstoned and hmscott like this.
  9. hmscott

Reputations:
    As I read it, it's a random issue where the constant high temperatures, normally ok even though high, over time can hit a thermal runaway condition causing the melt-down -- fire.

It's not something to take lightly, and EVGA will RMA the GPU to add those new thermal pads, hopefully providing added cooling to reduce the possibility of going "thermal".

I also posted the link below for the EVGA "Optional" Thermal Pad info.

Those thermal pads have been added to all new EVGA ACX 3.0 GPU cards, so maybe it's not as Optional as they would like us to believe.

houstoned and i_pk_pjers_i like this.
  10. i_pk_pjers_i

i_pk_pjers_i As you're falling down, my heart beats the same

Reputations:
    I'm not too concerned even though I have two 1070 FTWs because of testing by reddit user megarows: https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/com...ging_of_evga_gtx_1070_ftw_under_load/d9420bg/

At a higher fan speed, the VRM/VRAM only goes up to 67c in Fallout 4, and 60c in Battlefield 1 which is honestly not that bad and certainly wouldn't start any fires even without thermal pads. However, when you have the default fan profile combined with an overclock, yeah, you're much more likely to have a bad time and have your card literally go up in smoke and/or flames if you don't have thermal pads installed.

I can't wait for his thermal pads to arrive so he can show the VRM/VRAM temperatures after installing the thermal pads. He has done an amazing analysis thus far, and I have no doubt his further analysis will be just as impressive and thoroughly useful.

hmscott likes this.