GTX 1070 on HP EliteBook 8770W DC - it works!

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by mirage_bg, Oct 31, 2019.

1. mirage_bg

mirage_bg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The right .inf file is “nvcvi”, not “nvcvwi”...

2. RogueLizard

RogueLizard Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    If you want Windows switch off driver sig enforcement you can use windows 7. There's an ISO on archive.org that's fully updated thru 2018. Using Win7 on my 8770w cuz win10 is a PITA.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2020
  3. mirage_bg

mirage_bg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    For those of us who are using DC screen , win 7 is no go, as the GPU needs pure UEFI OS. Both Maxwell and Pascal.

4. RogueLizard

Reputations:
    For some reason I doubt that, I think that you just need GPU UEFI support.

This laptop with the DC screen launched before Windows 8.

The 8770W was released with the dreasmcolor screen in 2011. Windows 8 was not released until the end of October 2012. They shipped with Windows 7.

Pascal has native UEFI driver support, and despite this, the 8770W shipped with either Fermi or Kepler graphics on launch.

I'm not calling you a liar, but facts are facts, and they say that you are wrong.

The main issue is that you may not be using Windows 7 SP1 or an updated kernel with UEFI support. Native NVME support wasn't added int Windows 7 until 2018 either. Try that updated ISO I mentioned.

5. mirage_bg

mirage_bg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    As I said it previously - I won’t try to convince you anything. I speak out of personal experience, you - out of presumptions.

(Go and read the researches of Eurocom regarding 8770W and last gen GPUs if you don’t believe me)

Try it and tell us if it works.
    Still waiting to hear from you about P4000 and non DC screen.

6. RogueLizard

Reputations:
    I speak from available factual information from NVIDIA, HP website, and reliable reviews. Maybe yours is broken. Your 1070 broke how many times now? That isn't a 1070 problem, you're trying to draw too many amps from the MXM slot.

Still waiting for the P4000 from China. It's stuck in customs, even messaged the seller.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2020
  7. Codex573

Codex573 Newbie

Reputations:
    I just saw this gtx 1070 for 220 USD and planning to buy it.
    [​IMG]

Do you guys think I can have on my 8770w without any heat sink mod?

Thank you all.

8. RogueLizard

Reputations:
    Do you have the single heat pipe sink or the dual one? Only the dual one is capable of 100+W dispersion.

Codex573 likes this.
  9. mirage_bg

mirage_bg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hi,

Without 4 heatpipes mod you will see temps around 88-90C and you will need to reduce the clock/voltage of the core to get the temps in safe range. The single heatpipe heatsink is not for MXM-B GPUs in anyway, only fir MXM-A.
    Dual heatpipe heatsink is not enough to hold full power of 1070 even on Liquid metal as the GPU pulls around 120-125W in most recent games.
    Besides, you must have Dreamcolor panel to get 1070 lit the internal display.

Codex573 likes this.
  10. mirage_bg

mirage_bg Notebook Deity

Reputations:

Now I see that you are about to buy a Zotac 1070. You will have to grind the sides where the mosfets are located even on the default two pipes heatsink in order to get flat contact to the GPUs die and all mosfets covered with thermal pads.

I am against Zotac's GPUs as their VRMs are weaker than the ones on MSI GTX 1070 and tend to have high failure rate, but at the end it is your call of course!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020