GTX 1060/1070/1080 upgrade on m18x R2

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by yokotsumo, Oct 19, 2016.

1. vulcan78

vulcan78 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    loafer987 likes this.
  2. loafer987

loafer987 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks. I was pretty concerned It wouldn't work, but I jumped in head first and got lucky more than anything. I'm just glad it didn't require a full custom heatsink.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

3. usmc1488

usmc1488 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So I just posted my 18x R2 for sale but if this works that my change!!!! So we can put in a 1060/1070 and we are gtg? Is the performance of one 1060/1070 really that much better than a 680 SLI/7970 Crossfire?

4. vulcan78

vulcan78 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    A 1060 is already up and running in someone's R2 here and a 1070 is theoretically possible as well but so far no-one has done that yet. You should be the first!

A single 980M is about as fast as 680M SLI (what I upgraded to and from) without the SLI nonsense and a 1060 is about 20% faster than a 980M (about as fast as the desktop GTX 980 but in MXM form factor) and a 1070 is basically as fast as 980M SLI without the SLI nonsense.

jaug1337 and aaronne like this.
  5. Rotary Heart

Rotary Heart Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I just made the buy with @woodzstack so I will have a 1060 running on my R2 soon too. This will definitely be a huge improvement to my machine

6. woodzstack

woodzstack Alezka Computers , Official Clevo reseller.

Reputations:
    Yeah it pretty much beats the usual SLI options it's send with by a fair amount and with 1 card, leaving all that extra power from the PSU for the CPU overclock.

Rotary Heart likes this.
  7. woodzstack

Reputations:
    Your M18X-R2 is LVDS

8. woodzstack

Reputations:
    This was because the HD intel drivers from November would not install, only the earlier versions from like August would, and they had no Pascal support, thus very poor performance in optimus mode on Switchable Graphics mode.
    If the supported HD intel drivers install and come with the pascal support they in theory should work. Months and months of waiting and I never heard any reports of them working, and after trying to get it to install the newer HD intel drivers for 6 months I gave up testing it every week.

9. woodzstack

Reputations:
    Yes, no issues getting the HD Intel drivers with the Pascal support to install on MSI laptops, never been the issue there. The issue is, they would not install for Alienware's - if I had to guess, it was because DELL refused to pay INTEL or asked them not to support it or it was simply some oversight or just missing hardware ID's in some inf file somewhere similar to the modded drivers we do on a daily basis here for our aftermarket upgrades.

10. woodzstack

Reputations:
    So I mentioned most of why this didn't work on Alienware and yet worked on other laptops a few times in this thread. just have to go to device manager and see which version of HD Intel graphics is installed, then see if that is a supported version on an MSI and works with Pascal, if anyone wants to run the back and forth and see if certain driver versions work on thier MSI with a pascal card, it would technically tell us the same for Alienware, if those same driver versions would install on the Alienware, even if before you have the pascal card installed, i.e know in advance thanks to some help if possible from others helping you out by checking thier MSI hardware ID's.