GTX 1060/1070/1080 upgrade on m18x R2

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by yokotsumo, Oct 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jerryzago

jerryzago Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I made a dual psu mod with a power display. Throttling exists even with two power bricks. It goes away with the gfx switch method.
    I have a 3720qm and two stock 980m with Dell bios and during firestrike, power draw was over 500 watts.
    I was playing Arkham night the other day and it doesn't use SLI. Powe draw for single GPU was exceeding 330wats and momentarily was around 350 with a single GPU online.
    I will post some pictures later if anyone is interested!

aaronne likes this.
  2. AaronSV

AaronSV Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm interested as right now I have just one 980M, also does the Vbios matter at all ?
    My 980m is a G-sync model and although I was told it was an MSI card nvidia inspector shows it to be Dell ..I think.
    Also ran a benchmark for a laugh and the results were laughable.

Attached Files:

3. TheDantee

TheDantee Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Really.... I find that surprising! Cause the AW18 only comes with a 330W Power Brick and runs 2 980Ms

4. skindoe

skindoe Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    On the topic of power use, if I replace my current m290x's on my AW18 with 1 x 1070 (for example, the 115w unit linked to a few pages ago), am I correct in assuming I have up to 200w free to run it as the m290x's are a 100w card each?

Or is each MXM slot on the AW18 individually limited to 100w each?

I would like to upgrade to the 1070 as listed earlier, but the 115w power requirement has me worried as to whether I can power it properly through the 1 slot?

5. TheDantee

Reputations:
    If its works in the R2 it should work in the 18 the 115W should not be a problem. However Im not confirming it does work, you would have to see if someone has attempted this. We do know the 1060 works in the AW18

6. jerryzago

Reputations:
    IMG_20171108_044830.jpg
    I am on my mobile so this is a first glimpse.
    This is my second built since with the bridge rectifier the voltage drop was significant so the whole built tripped on high load. With two 20amp diodes, it seems a lot stable.

If the measurements are accurate, then the Powe draw is great. I believe the AW18 with an extreme cup suffers from throttling.
    Throttling occurs when 315watts are exceeded. My GPus are not gsync so I used premas public release and though it scored higher, power draw was almost at 600. So Dell bios give me a better everyday usage.
    R2 seems to have an internal power limit switch witch goes away when switching manually GPus through bios.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
    aaronne likes this.
  7. TheDantee

Reputations:
    Very interesting I'm using premas mod V1.1 (all I could find) with a pretty decent OC on the gpus and no power issues surprisingly. As for the MXM slot it does cap at 100W of power right? But for the other guys questions u could easily make it push 115W correct (some power limit adjustments I seen in maxwell vbios editor)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

8. kenny27

kenny27 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You have got me keen to finish my dual psu.
    I'm going to use a Schottky Diode which has a lower voltage drop then bridge rectifiers.
    Have you hard wired the psu's together?

9. jerryzago

Reputations:
    It might be a better idea than the bridge rectifier. The display showed me the output voltage was 18,7 volts. That was the voltage powering the laptop. That's why it tripped with high load (ex full SLI usage).
    With two 20amp diodes, output voltage is 19,5 without load, and 19,3 when booting up.

I bought two Dell extension cords from ebay so no psu is soldered together. Look closely my photo and you will see the two psu jacks. My mod is modular. I can even put a third psu anytime I like, but I don't see the point. Every wire is soldered inside the box, but the mod is modular. I can disconnect it and take with me only one psu.

10. TheDantee

Reputations:
    How does one do this? And could u not but the eurocom 780W PSU and Mod an Alienware adapter to it

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.