GTA V discussion

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by pinoy_92, Jun 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thegh0sts

thegh0sts Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    It might be harsh but because modding the game even in SP ruins the integrity of the game's infrastructure and as a result the server you connect to, even if you're not in GTAO, can't control its effects and therefore the only way to keep it "vanilla" and fair is to block the user. Remember when you play in SP you're actually online by default unless you specifically tell the game to stay offline.

So there's a risk for taking mods while playing online even if you're not in GTAO.

So if you want to mod then play offline then the possibility of being banned might be less.

2. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
    Going after a small percentage of cheaters with the proverbial sledgehammer instead of scalpel. Just brilliant, Rockstar. :rolleyes:

3. Cormogram

Cormogram Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I don't think they care about the cheaters. They just don't want anyone profiting from their products for free and perhaps even taking a bit of their market share on DLCs -- business as usual.

4. Starlight5

Starlight5 W I N T E R B O R N

Reputations:
    thegh0sts, uh-oh, let me think... maybe they should have made a game with proper physics right from the start, then? =\ It was a problem in GTA IV, solved by mods (as well as many other problems, solved by mods as well), it is in GTA V. Their ridiculous policies encourage piracy - one may simply download the game and mod it according to his desires, without paying anything to R* and risking getting screwed by them.

5. thegh0sts

Reputations:
    i don't think the physics in the game is meant to be realistic at all (but hyper realistic) just because of the game's nature of being a satire/parody.

explain how blocking mods = piracy? it sounds like a cheap excuse.

6. Starlight5

Starlight5 W I N T E R B O R N

Reputations:
    thegh0sts, first of all, keeping two copies of GTA V - one normal for GTA Online, and second one - cracked - for offline with mods - isn't appealing at all, when all the difference is couple of files. And for those not willing to play online, but mostly offline with mods - banning-for-mods policy destroys any reason to buy the game since they'll end up banned anyway. Such measures are... idiotic to say the least, I don't know how else to call it! Software developers ALWAYS benefit from user-created content in the end.

Last edited: May 2, 2015
    TomJGX and Cormogram like this.
  7. thegh0sts

Reputations:
    if you need mods to make the game better then you didn't really enjoy the vanilla experience to begin with IMO.

modding is not an excuse to pirate a game in any scenario. it's not like GTAIV or dark souls where the ports were crap enough to need mods to make them playable - that's just poor development....GTAV is far from being a poor port.

that being said, the proverbial ball is in R*'s court to see if they will support mods like dying light but with rules of course.

Getawayfrommelucas likes this.
  8. Getawayfrommelucas

Getawayfrommelucas Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    While its lame that people are getting banned for using mods, I don't believe in the whole philosophy that one crappy action from a company justifies pirating a game. Good games deserve to be bought.

9. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    What pipe are you smoking? This is one of many reasons games are laden with DRM, full of bugs and crap. Because fanboy idiots support everything a dev does and supports it without thinking even if the idea is dumb. And requiring online connection for single player is dumb. It was a bad idea from day one that any single player game needed to be connected to the internet, period. Only exception is if the single player environment was driven by an online server farm like in Elite Dangerous. But single player game should be a single player game that a user should be free to mod however they like.

LanceAvion, TomJGX, Cormogram and 5 others like this.
  10. thegh0sts

Reputations:
    i don't support their rules to degree, i just work within them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.