GTA V discussion

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by pinoy_92, Jun 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. be77solo

be77solo pc's and planes

Reputations:
    I get noticeably better/smoother performance in full screen over borderless, and have in all versions.

D2, maybe just turn off the overlay and enjoy the game... :p

2. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Livestreaming Master

Reputations:
    I usually do, but there's times I open the game just to check performance and then I close it because I don't feel like playing it specifically right then XD.

My overlay is nice. I press num 6 and it toggles on/off, while still being functional (able to screenshot or record etc).

3. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
    Well, since you refuse to play in fullscreen, I guess you have no right to complain about performance issues or input lag, esp. since W8 doesn't allow you to disable Aero :p

4. Mr Najsman

Mr Najsman Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Which overlay is that? I'm guessing not hwinfo+rivatuner.

5. splinterfaction

splinterfaction Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Is anyone else finding that their graphics settings have been reset when you start the game?

It's frustrating that I seem to have to go through and reset everything pretty much every time I start to play.

Could it be NVIDIA's 'optimum settings' thing?

6. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
    PlayClaw

Mr Najsman and D2 Ultima like this.
  7. thegh0sts

thegh0sts Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I keep finding the game constantly prompting me whenever I enter the settings and it frakking annoys me to no end.

8. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    Windows 8 Aero isn't 'Aero' per sé any more. M$ got rid of all the cool transparency and glass effects from Windows 7 and made all the window borders straight edged. Looks strange, and to think the Windows 8 Technical Preview back in 2011 looked barely any different from Windows 7, although the Start Screen was already in place.

Furthermore, I experience barely any performance drop from full screen to borderless windowed - it's unnoticeable. And finally, Nvidia has this stupid thing where monitors lose their colour calibration when any application runs in full-screen mode, and any owner of the W230SS knows that the default calibration sucks.

D2 Ultima likes this.
  9. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
    The performance impact is app dependent, however DWM still engages double-buffered V-Sync which causes FPS drops and input lag when gaming in windowed/borderless windowed. I know because a couple years ago I had to play modded Halo Custom Edition on my 650M SLI in borderless (due to an SLI driver bug in certain DX9 games that caused massive flickering/screen tearing in fullscreen) and it would stutter like crazy whenever I dropped below 60 FPS. In Windows 7, at least you have the option of disabling DWM (Aero) to prevent this, but you can't in Windows 8.

Ionising_Radiation likes this.
  10. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Livestreaming Master

Reputations:
    As Octiceps said, it's playclaw.

You can see it being constantly on in this video I managed to grab with Shadowplay (which grabs other overlays):
    (Yes, this is the most shameless of self plugs, but enjoy the video nonetheless =D)

I can customize the size, position, colour, font, and whether or not each overlay is turned on/off (while in-game too to boot) and toggle all of them on/off with a single button. So the colours you see are what I like. I can also enable/disable them in screenshots and recordings taken by playclaw if I want.
    There is ACTUALLY a way around that for some games; mainly DX11 ones. But it's very tricky to get. You also need a second monitor to do it, if I remember right. DX9 games almost certainly will lose calibration but DX11 don't need to. You need to have an ICC profile, open colour management, "add" the default system profile and set as "default" for both monitors, then set the ICC profile for both monitors (the one you're using for the main monitor), and make sure system defaults are for ICC viewing, as well as "use my settings for this device" ticked for both monitors, then restart the computer. When you load most DX11 titles (like BF4 etc) the colour scheme will then persist.

Killing Floor 1 resets the colour scheme no matter what, but ironcially if you alt-tab and force the colour scheme again, it'll play with the colour scheme in-game.

IF the profile gets reset for any reason, or you change it manually, your games will start resetting the scheme again, so you'll need repeat the "defaulting" process then restart your PC again.

That's app-dependent for me, actually. It doesn't happen in Killing Floor 2 (single card though), or GTA V (unless I hit like 35fps, which I attribute to SLI's microstuttering) or Titanfall, or Mass Effect 1/2/3. But then again... I don't use vSync, which is a thing XD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.