GTA V discussion

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by pinoy_92, Jun 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Livestreaming Master

Reputations:
    Nope, doesn't force any higher GPU usage for me. In fact, most of the settings seem to do little, except I think shadows, to my overall framerate in the city etc. In the mountain, where most people say their framerates dip, I actually have the highest FPS. I have no idea how they managed to force a CPU bottleneck with every single CPU available on the market XD.

BUUUUUT this is how GTA IV started for me. I distinctly remember that from patch 1.05 through 1.07, CPU utilization progressively got worse and my GPU began to be taxed far more, eventually resulting in below 30fps in most of the game at settings I was always accustomed to using. I thought it was a bad thing back in the day because my GPU was weak for my CPU (a 280M and an i7-950? Obvious where bottleneck is amirite) but now I'm realizing that when the strongest CPUs on the market aren't enough for these new graphically intense games... no GPU on the market helps. GPU bottleneck is almost always preferred (though unoptimization is always a bad thing).

2. DEagleson

DEagleson Gamer extraordinaire

Reputations:
    Basically a bottleneck caused by the CPU not being able to calculate enough draw calls for the GPU or something that. Could explain how the PS4 is keeping up with most PC setups while having a inferior CPU. Maybe Rockstar would drop some Dx12 love into GTA5 later on. (Probably not)

Anandtech did some tests using Dx12 enabled 3DMark you can clearly see some issues with Dx11 not keeping up with the high end GPUs.
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/9112/exploring-dx12-3dmark-api-overhead-feature-test

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
  3. n=1

n=1 YEAH SCIENCE!

Reputations:
    It was a general question, not directed towards you specifically. Although I'm surprised to hear your results, since nVidia's own guide shows the 4 settings I listed to have a sizable impact on framerates.

4. D2 Ultima

Reputations:
    Their tests were with a 5960X at 4.4GHz and performed at 2880 x 1620 resolution, which forces GPU bottlenecks, and uses two Titan X cards.

If they tried that at 1080p it'd be insane. It's why many many people are reporting the game runs almost as well or even better at higher resolutions than at 1080p, because they're unknowingly forcing a GPU bottleneck instead of a CPU bottleneck. But for someone like me who sits and stares at my util in real-time all day because of my overlay... well... XD

5. thegh0sts

thegh0sts Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Anyone notice that if you alt tab out of the game Windows feels sluggish when typing in an IM etc?

6. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
    The keyboard lag is a confirmed bug I believe

7. thegh0sts

thegh0sts Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    OK. i wonder if it's better to play in offline mode?

8. D2 Ultima

Reputations:
    Doesn't happen with borderless windowed. I refuse to use fullscreen since the first time I alt-tabbed it crashed upon tabbing back in.

9. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
    @D2 Ultima is performance better in fullscreen?

10. D2 Ultima

Reputations:
    As of patch 0, no. I will check later today, however. Patch #1 and #2 did help performance a bit, I believe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.