GTA V discussion

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by pinoy_92, Jun 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TBoneSan

TBoneSan Laptop Fiend

Reputations:
    You need to add some msaa and it will appear

2. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
    Since TXAA is a type of MSAA, I wonder what happens if you have MFAA enabled in Nvidia Control Panel and TXAA enabled in-game. Wish I had the game to test.

3. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Livestreaming Master

Reputations:
    TXAA can't be enabled in-game without MSAA being on, so if you have MFAA overriding MSAA, then TXAA simply won't activate.

Mr Najsman likes this.
  4. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
    If that's the case, might as well use MFAA if you have the option and performance to spare since TXAA is garbage

5. D2 Ultima

Reputations:
    As Kirrr said, this is a luxury afforded to the:
    M17x R4 and R5, AW17 R1 and MSI GT72 notebooks.

That's literally it.

M18x R1 & R2, AW18 and MSI GT80 Titan can disable their dGPUs and run off the iGPU, but that's it. They cannot use Optimus anyway, so while they contain the MUX switch, they don't have optimus to "disable".
    Yes, MSAA and TXAA is HUGELY impacting in GTA 5. In my case, I noticed a full 20fps hit from no MSAA/TXAA to 2x TXAA. 80fps down to 60.
    It is also noteworthy that it is impossible to use 8x TXAA though 8x MSAA is possible. 8x MSAA on reflections can be used without regular MSAA being used.

The game with absolute 100% maxed out graphics (every single thing on ultra except FXAA. 4x TXAA and 8x reflection MSAA are on. No "long shadows" etc in advanced graphics) looks like this:
    Shot #1
    Shot #2

These are the only two shots I have of all the graphics turned up as I turned off MSAA for higher average FPS.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
  6. splinterfaction

splinterfaction Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Sick! This is the kinda kinda benchmark result I've been looking for =)

Can't wait for my Batman to arrive!

7. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
    @D2 Ultima another thing to think about is, since MSAA calls are intercepted and converted to MFAA at driver level, the game has no way of knowing that you're using MFAA not MSAA, so automatically disabling TXAA may not be a thing.

Edit: I just read Nvidia's tech docs. No problem using TXAA w/MFAA. They're actually similar in some ways.

How do the graphics compare to Sleeping Dogs and Watch Dogs?

8. D2 Ultima

Reputations:
    This is true... but again, if you set the AA to "override" then it'll disable MSAA and use MFAA, which means it'll disable TXAA too. That was my train of thought.

The people on the street and stuff are very nice quality. Good detail in them all. Especially nice detail with the cars; something sleeping dogs lacked for the most part I'd say.

The world itself is okay. It's great for an open world game; Sleeping Dogs didn't have as-good world textures except for the roads and buildings, which was understandable as beaches etc were rare. GTA has pretty good stuff all around. GTA however has HUGE performance demands for its "generally same level of graphics" and it makes me feel it could do with some optimization, though texture pop-in is not an issue thankfully and I've not run into any people or objects being there and invisible. Though I did run into this one where I hit a wall at 120fps and fell through the game world. Maybe it doesn't like superfast FPS? I dunno. I rarely got such high FPS so maybe it does hate it and we just never notice cuz FPS is always low in the game world.

Sleeping Dogs still had better character models for the main characters, even though lesser characters/NPCs don't have high poly counts etc. Sleeping Dogs is still king of the character models as far as main characters are concerned, that is for sure. By a mile, in fact.

Sleeping Dogs also had very good blood, which is something GTA also lacks. The blood splatter if you hit the road or something is nice, but the character clothes don't bleed or get bloody or anything like that, they just have bloody spots that appear instead of looking "wet" etc.

Sleeping dogs, BY FAR, by 10 years, beats GTA 5 in its rain and reflection environments. There is no contest. Hong Kong at night and in the rain is by and large 10,000 times better looking than GTA 5. They knew what they were doing with Sleeping Dogs' lighting. Another thing that pissed me off about GTA was that as much as its first person mode is nice, even with the best reflection quality I can enable, its wing mirrors and rearview mirrors in cars and on bikes do not work. They just show a muddied version of what's behind you, like Watch Dogs does. Sleeping Dogs I cannot remember if it worked, but a first person mode was not touted as being "fully playable" for it, so I must give GTA the hit for that. It makes first person driving very difficult to do; more difficult than it needs to be, as I know working mirrors have existed in games in the past, and a simple overlay would have worked like they do in driving games.

Overall, I'd give GTA 5 the nod in general graphics quality etc, and its animations are nice and fluid etc, but I can't say it's better by a ridiculous amount, except for some instances of texture quality on the desert/beach/etc type areas. Also underwater looks quite nice, which sleeping dogs doesn't really have.

Watch dogs I cannot compare to, as I've never played it, but a graphics-whore youtuber I watch claimed that Watch Dogs with the graphics mod & sweetfx looks better than GTA 5. I'm inclined to agree with him too, even though I never played it. GTA is a very nice looking game, and one of the best open-world type titles for it, but it, like Watch Dogs, is too demanding for what it produces (in my opinion), even though like Dying Light, a simple ~15-20% performance improvement would be all it needs to be perfectly acceptable optimization-wise for me, and the graphics aren't something I'm completely blown away by.

I will also make sure and point out that I did NOT play sleeping dogs' definitive edition; my comparison is to regular sleeping dogs with the high resolution texture pack for PC. Also note that since Sleeping dogs included a SSAA as part of its graphics options AND that 4x SSAA (extreme AA preset) runs better than GTA 5 without MSAA, I must compare their running abilities as such, even though without SSAA sleeping dogs has a decent amount of jaggies. In fact, I'd say that the "medium" SSAA (high AA preset) in Sleeping Dogs allowed me to sit well above 100fps 24/7 in the game, rarely even approaching 80fps, far less 60fps, and is a good option to consider if avoiding the extreme AA option for graphics comparisons.

9. Kirrr

Kirrr Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yes the weather and lightning effects were far more beautiful in SD than in the previous GTA's.

10. TR2N

TR2N Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Can anyone else tell me if you are getting much higher temps with AMD 15.4 beta drivers?
    I just hit 100C (first time ever on 7970m) and am curious if its the driver or my system.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.