GT780DX Upgraded to GTX 980M & i7-2960XM

Discussion in 'MSI' started by ac007, Jun 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AdamManMsi

AdamManMsi Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have used battery care to monitor the usage of the electricity the wattage, I have used it to monitor that while I was playing games and while idling and it would run somewhere around 111 to 115 Watts at an idle and when I would power up a intensive game it would go up to 187 to 192 Watts. I plugged in the 230 watt power supply and I continue to monitor it and it went all the way up to 207 Watts. There was no issue with the play ability or the availability of power. This was in a MSI GT 685 with the 2960xm and the gtx980m card. That is basically the same exact machine as the GT 780, ms1761 that you have. There was no issue with anything. It's simply allowed the video card to go all the way up to 90 degrees instead of throttling back at 76 to 79 degrees. That video card should run somewhere between 88 and 90 degrees at Peak Performance. You can use MSI afterburner to adjust any settings that are available for that card. I'm not sure how to attach pictures but I can show you a first generation gt660 which is in the same family. With a 920xm and gtx 880m 8 gig video card. Get uses 217 Watts at full power. Any machines I build that I put a 80 series card in I almost always get the 230 watt power supply. I built these professionally and my best friend is a programmer for 3M. We have done our research and have come to this conclusion. You should also invest in the .65 amp fan if you don't have one already. Instead of the .36 or .45 amp fan that comes in those. The 4th generation machines they upgraded the cooling. They created the heat sink that has this secondary arm on it that goes over in connect to the processor heatsink. You should purchase that as well if you're going to put the 980 card in there. They make two versions of it for the 70 series and the 80 series cards. Make sure you get one for the 980 because it is different than the 770. The grid layout of the cooling platforms is different

2. AdamManMsi

Reputations:
    You should have no problem. You have one of the most powerful laptops ever created. The motherboards are such high quality and the Machine is built out of Parts on a different caliber or a different level of performance than standard gaming laptop parts.

3. ac007

ac007 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thank you for that info. I did buy the heatsink with the arm, designed for the 980m. I will be using Fujipoly thermal pads and Prolimatech PK3 for the GPU and Coolaboratory Ultra on the CPU (I know it is conductive and to be very careful applying it).

I did not know about the .65amp fan, but I will get that and the 230W power adapter because I believe you know what are talking about.

I always understood that this model was capped at 180W, are you able to tell me anything about the "NOS" feature controlled by the notebook's EC firmware?...I will using the latest BIOS and a vBIOS from Svet.

If I can occasionally bounce questions off of you I would appreciate it and will post them here.

Thank you again for the additional information!

4. AdamManMsi

Reputations:
    Google MSI NOS feature and go to the MSI website. It should be easy to find.That only applies to 3rd and 4th generation, MS 1762 or 3 and only certain models like the dominators and the dragon Edition. That feature is not available in your laptop, even when it is available it is to supply more than 180 Watts when necessary. By using the battery and the AC adapter at the same time. There's a list on the MSI official website of all applicable models. It's mostly the GE and GS models some GT 60s and some GT 70s, it's more prevalent in the gt72 in GT80 models. If it is not listed as an option in your bios to turn that NOS on and off, then it is not an option for that machine. I know from experience that those machines will use what power is necessary. I've spoken with professionals other than myself, and we have never had any problem with power. NOS does not limit the power anyway, it is there to help the machine provide extra power above and beyond the 180 Watts when necessary.

5. AdamManMsi

Reputations:
    You have a rare computer right there. It's the first generation 17in, it's special because it is direct video.its the only 17in model they made that way. It has no Intel HD hybrid graphics. Only the gt660 ms16 F1 and ms16 F2 GT680 and the gt780. The first and second generation models do not have Hybrid graphics. I have an MS 1762 gt70 and it has hybrid Intel graphics. You will get better playability and better frame rates and smoother transitions with your machine than I will with mine. Not having the hybrid graphics is a major advantage. The gt780 is the only 17 inch model that they made that did not have hybrid graphics. All the way up to the GT 80 have hybrid Intel graphics. The gt80 went back to direct video and bypass the Intel graphics. They realized that the hybrid graphics was not such a good idea. It works good for battery life but forcing the GPU to go through the CPU limits it. Your machine is video direct to screen or direct to HDMI, the second generation gt70 like mine, has the Intel processor in the middle as a middleman. And it can limit your frame rates and throttle your machine if things are not exactly perfect. I learned that the hard way.

6. ac007

Reputations:
    Ok, I will get the 230W

7. ac007

Reputations:
    I love the machine and that's why I'm willing to invest a lot in it. I also bought it on Craigslist for only $100, I got very lucky. The person who sold it to me wanted to upgrade and the only thing wrong with the laptop was that the right side hinge was broken. I have since fixed it and want to turn this laptop into a gaming monster. It is already awesome with a 570M overclocked and 2760QM.

Question: can this machine handle 32GB of RAM? I am currently running 16GB. If so, what kind would you recommend? I think 10600 is the limit, that is what I have now. Thank you for all of your help!

8. AdamManMsi

Reputations:
    Yes it can handle 32GB of ram. It can also handle PC3 14900 1866megahertz Ram. Since u have the 2960xm. 10600 is the base Ram that it can use. I would definitely upgrade the RAM to at least 12800. You also need to be very careful with modding the BIOS. If the BIOS Edition model number that you have is the same as what is listed on MSI website then it is not necessary. There should be no reason to flash the BIOS unless the video card is not recognized. If you purchased an MSI video card not a Dell video card then you should have no problem. The MSI video card will have a number stamped on it like ms10w51, or something like that. If you have issues you can follow the steps to flash the BIOS and it will also Flash the V bios if necessary. As far as I know there's no way to separately flash that V bios unless you remove the card and hook it up to another computer. If it is recognized by your motherboard then flashing either one of those biases is not necessary. It also has to be done from a cold state meaning that it's done from a boot to an external thumb drive not from a executable program. It is very tricky and very risky. I've seen many of them bricked by trying to flash the BIOS and it not being necessary. If you already have the BIOS Edition that is listed as current on the MSI website, and you try and Flash the same addition over it, it runs the risk of bricking it.

9. AdamManMsi

Reputations:
    The best bang for your buck will be Kingston hyperx impact PC3 12800 cl9 Ram. You can pick up 8 gig sticks ordered from Walmart which is about the cheapest, look on their app or on their website and you can pick them up for somewhere around $75 a piece. The 1866 megahertz cl11 Ram will not add as much of a benefit as the price entails. It's just not worth it.

I live in Southwest Missouri and I wish there was some way that I can meet with you and build that. You have the machine that I've always wanted to build. I have built 16 in models of the same generation the same way that you're building that one. I told you about that. And I have built 3rd generation gt70 very similar to that. But I have always wanted that specific machine because it is a rare unique item. In the programming world that machine you have is very sought-after because of its direct video capabilities

10. AdamManMsi

Reputations:
    In all honesty 16 gig of RAM is enough, as long as it's the 800 megahertz or 933 megahertz Ram. Unless you're a programmer or doing very heavy video rendering or program compilation you will never use more than 10 gig anyway. Even the newest games that I play rarely use over 10 gig

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.