GT75VR 7RF Titan Pro-202 vs. MSI GT75 8RG TITAN-056

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by ThegamingARCHITECT4life, Apr 9, 2018.

?

Is the i7-8850H six-core "Coffee lake" worth the the upgrade from i7-7820HK quad-core "Kaby lake"??

1. Yes

4 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. No

6 vote(s)
    60.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThegamingARCHITECT4life

ThegamingARCHITECT4life Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi guys! Newbie person here, I'm in need of help. My brother @HardCoreGamer4Life
    just bought a beast laptop a year ago @hidevolution @Donald@HIDevolution, especially to @Phoenix 's help in the adjustments, I'm so amazed of its performance it was incredible. Note that it's really rare to see a GT model in our place, and how he customized it with additional SSD is even better!!. Recently he posted here on my behalf that was 2 weeks ago http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/help-in-finding-my-brother-a-good-laptop.815026/, comparing GT73VR 7RF w/ 7700HQ non-overclockable vs. GT75VR 7RF 7820HK overclockable. And now with the latest release of 8th Gen. processors "Coffee Lake" I'm more confused of what I should pick between the MSI GT75VR 7RF Titan Pro-202 w/ i7-7820HK vs. MSI GT75 8RG TITAN-056 w/ i7-8850H. I need your suggestions and advice in choosing the best laptop for me. My main question for this 2 MSI TITANs is it's CPU, "kaby lake" vs "coffee lake". The i7-7820HK can run up to 4.3ghz in overclock, while the i7-8850H can run up to 4.3ghz in turbo (w/o overclock). Which is better? Which is worth it to buy? As my forum name, "thegamingARCHITECT" I play Games and also do Render for a living. Thank you so much for any advice and help you can give me.

http://www.hidevolution.com/msi-gt75vr-7rf-titan-pro-202.html

http://www.hidevolution.com/msi-gt75-titan-056.html

However if you guys can suggest other options given it won't get past the budget. Please feel free to offer them. Thanks!

P.S. Since I'm a newbie at tweaking my own RIG, the cost of letting @hidevolution changing the CPU and GPU's thermal pastes and some other upgrades should already be included in the budget.

1) What is your budget?
    $2500 - $3000

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    a. Netbook; 10" screen or less
    b. Ultraportable; 11" - 12" screen
    c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen
    d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
    e. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen

3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.

USA (HIDevolution)

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like: preferably MSI
    b. Dislike: none
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?

NO

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?

GAMING and since my brothers an architect, 3D rendering and Lumion (cpu eater)

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?

Both

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?

Yes, (DOTA2, DIABLO 3(24/7), PUBG, STARCRAFT 2, OVERWATCH, MONSTER HUNTER WORLD(PC if release), and other AAA games.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?

Not that important

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?

NO

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.

Windows 10

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. (Scroll down to see screen resolution information.)

1920x1080 120hz monitor 3ms or 5ms

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (Scroll down to see explanations.)

MATTE

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?

NO

15) When are you buying this laptop?

ASAP

16) How long do you want this laptop to last?

AS LONG AS POSSIBLE preferable more than 5 years

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive?

1 TB HDD and at least 250gb-500gb SSD

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner?

NO

2. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    If you're just unclear between the cpus, the 8850H has 6 cores. So if the clocks are somewhat similar the 8850H has quite an edge over the 4 core 7XXXHQ or HK cpus.

3. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    @ThegamingARCHITECT4life

Since you tagged me, people here know me, I either go for the best or I don't!

I suggest you up your budget a little bit somehow, some way and go for the 8950HK CPU which clocks up to 4.8 GHz stock and has 6 cores AND is overclockable since it's an HK processor and moreover since you're getting it from HIDevolution so make sure you select the Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut thermal liquid for the CPU and the Fujipoly pads for increased cooling.

Custom Built MSI GT75 8RG TITAN-094 17.3" w/ G-Sync nVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080

If you really can't up your budget in any way, then get the 8850H

but you know what the legend says pare.... go big....or go home... [​IMG]

4. Galm

Reputations:
    @Phoenix I'd appreciate it if you could also mention the other options that exists I know you don't like the keyboard on the P870, but when people are asking for the best I really don't understand (reading through his last thread) that there were like 30 posts and no mention that the P870 exists with a real 8700k, prema bios, up to 1080 sli, and all modular parts so you can upgrade down the line as needed... When you're saying go big or go home that's the machine at the top feature wise... Ergonomic issues aside. Especially considering the dual gpu heatsink option on the P870 which will have far better temps than anything else end of story.

Certainly the GT75 should also be mentioned in the discussion, but let the buyer know what options are on the market.

Which would be:
    MSI GT75 (8th gen mobile, 1070 sli or 1080)
    Clevo P870 (8th gen desktop, 1070 or 1080 single/sli)
    Clevo P775 (8th gen desktop, 1080)
    Asus G703 (8th gen mobile, 1080)
    AW 17 (8th gen mobile, 1080)

I'm only inclined to warn about the Asus quality control and that the AW needs a repaste/cooling pad work, but even then if OP loved it one from HIDEvolution should be mostly okay. The P775 is also probably a skip just because it's just a worse P870 and will get hot. I really at this point place very little weight on the brand names... People have horrible experiences with every brand under the sun. I've had issues with Asus, MSI, and Clevo. Picking the reseller is the more important facet to overall experience in regards to reliability and service.

Chris S likes this.
  5. Spartan@HIDevolution

Reputations:
    If you want to suggest a certain laptop that I missed, do that yourself. don't tell me what to recommend or post. I will recommend what I think is best and so will every one else. Who are you to judge my recommendations and why I didn't recommend this or that?

Also, if you configure the P870TM1 with the vapor chamber heatsink, add 32 GB of RAM instead of the standard 16GB, add a 256GB SSD, and choose the 8700K, the laptop exceeds his budget by a 1000 USD not just a little bit. That's why I didn't recommend it.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
    saturnotaku and Vasudev like this.
  6. Galm

Reputations:
    You were encouraging him to up his budget. A reasonable P870 config would come out to around 3400 which is close to the i9 GT75. 32GB of ram might push it a bit higher but that's not necessary for most of his workloads at the moment.

I was saying that for the sake of the person asking for advice. I don’t like it when someone tells me how to post either. But be open to input and change is never a bad thing.

You are correct that you can say whatever you want. But if you want to help the buyer more you can give him more advice than saying buy this: "HID link". You give no context as to why it's good versus the rest of the market. That's all I was saying. Context is what makes a recommendation worth something. I'm not starting a flame war with you.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
  7. Spartan@HIDevolution

Reputations:
    The guy clearly stated that he's buying off HIDevolution because of his brother's awesome experience with them and posted the links to the laptops he's buying, so I just posted a link to another model which I recommend! If you think I missed something, just freakin' recommend it rather than telling me what I *should have recommended*.

I don't work for you buddy and don't need your approval for my posts!

Galm likes this.
  8. Galm

Reputations:
    Alright message received. I’ll do my best. Good on you for sticking to your guns.

9. Spartan@HIDevolution

Reputations:
    Thanks bro [​IMG]

10. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I feel that you are comparing apples and oranges. The i7 7920HK should not be compared to the 8850H, but to the i9 8950HK. You can't compare a fully locked down CPU with a locked multiplier and a 45W TDP limit (which can only be exceeded for 28 seconds) to a CPU that can clock as far as the silicon allows. You should be comparing the GT75 Titan 093 and Titan 094 to the GT75VR model. Also keep in mind you're doing a cross comparison of a 4 core unlocked and power unlocked CPU to a 6 core locked CPU. These comparisons cause difficult problems. It's like, saying "what is better? A GTX 980 with 8 GB of RAM to a GTX 1060 with 6 GB.

Either way, we don't know what the retail 6 core locked CPU's are fully capable of yet. All we do know is that the TDP is 45W and the BASE clock is 2.2 ghz, which is actually WORSE Than 2.9 ghz base clock even with the 2 extra cores. So we don't know when the CPU will fall back down to 2.2 ghz or what it will throttle to. Ordering something based on information we do not know is a fool's errand, as we have NO retail units or any end users reviewing them.

That being said, I would HIGHLY suggest as I said, the i9 unlocked version, because at least you can be MORE sure, since the chip is unlocked, as to what you will be getting in the end.
    So as brother Phoenix said, please consider upping your budget a bit. Even if you have to stop eating out for a few weeks or cut back on something. It will be worth it in the end so you don't wind up getting a locked down CPU and then wind up complaining about why is it throttling, later in the future!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.