GT72S 6QE 980m upgrade to 1070?

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Sup3rKillaX, Jan 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smartuy

smartuy Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Looks like a lot of manufacturers have gone anti-consumer and made upgrading impossible with the the release of Pascal.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

sasuke256 and tiliarou like this.
  2. woodzstack

woodzstack Alezka Computers , Official Clevo reseller.

Reputations:
    Not sure they went anti consumer, but I am curious as to why they did this, was it at NVidia's direction from political pressure or some contract or was it because the costs in doing what we've already done too high vs profits etc...

I think, personally, the whole MXM design was a nice idea, but increases cost, and was really nothing but a niche market for the larger companies, but this is my personal opinion. I would like to be wrong.

3. tiliarou

tiliarou Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    They potentially created the situation themselves ! Pretend upgrade is impossible for BS reasons, then "offer" a trade-in program to either sell you downgrade laptop (GT72VR) or overpriced "upgrade that you don't need" laptop (GT73VR but of course to screw us without Blu-ray drive) ! This is a scandal when you now see proofs that physically everything fits for a 1070 in a GT72 and that a simple driver mod make it work ! Chassis is compatible, PSU is compatible, screen is compatible, driver is compatible, I guess UEFI update would make the driver mod useless but guess what : MSI choose to screw us !

sasuke256 and briedfox like this.
  4. jinxted

jinxted Newbie

Reputations:
    Yeah, except the biggest issue with this is the list of people (me included) that got accepted into the trade-in program and then had MSI totally cut communication altogether. I've been emailing them since December 3rd and all I've ever received in response is a single "Welcome to the trade-in program, here is a spreadsheet of trade-in options, reply with your answer to these 4 questions". I don't know how many times they expect me to continually email them with the answers to those questions, but apparently I haven't hit that magic number yet over the past 5 months.

5. Support.2@XOTIC PC

Support.2@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Since my previous post it seems things have changed some, they did respond to the few requests we made around the time but I haven't really had contact with them on the issue since.

6. hacktrix2006

hacktrix2006 Hold My Vodka, I going to kill my GPU

Reputations:
    Just updating this for @cisco kidd and anyone else that was thinking on manual upgrading without trade in, GT72-6QD upgrade to GTX 1060 does work as i have done the MXM upgrade and using it right now.

MXM Card and GT72VR GPU Heatsink was all that was needed for mine as the connecting block from the GPU to the CPU was compatible.

For the GT72-2Qx you'd need to mod the GPU heatsink on the system to make it fit with the GTX 1060 MXM Module.

However you loose G-Sync due to the System Bios not having the device ID in the Gsync Cookie License and you have to mod the Nvidia driver to get the driver to install.

It works well in the system, I have had only it once go over 100 watt during my benchmark runs but its now stays below 100 watts on the MXM slot with the Boost clock going upto 1911mhz.

Here is the Proof

CPU/GPUZ Screen Shot: https://1drv.ms/i/s!As5OYvCszQehka4zlHySwthGXhLGTQ
    3DMark FireStrike (Stock Fan Curve): https://1drv.ms/i/s!As5OYvCszQehka4y_0Dpn5EMjgIF8w
    3DMark TimeSpy (Stock Fan Curve): https://1drv.ms/i/s!As5OYvCszQehka4tCiltJ41s3P7Umg
    Heaven Benchmark (Stock Fan Curve): https://1drv.ms/i/s!As5OYvCszQehka45olXxBWlc_tSe_w
    Valley Benchmark (Stock Fan Curve): https://1drv.ms/i/s!As5OYvCszQehka42sbvcW4r4rGWPdA
    3DMark Vantage (Stock Fan Curve): https://1drv.ms/i/s!As5OYvCszQehka4xrOpLMRtTc3diMw
    CineBench R15 (Stock Fan Curve): https://1drv.ms/i/s!As5OYvCszQehka4q7NqedIWeMF2jHA

To validate my claim here is my system info

------------------
    System Information
    ------------------
    Serial Number: 9S7178****48ZFA******
    Product Name: GT72
    Windows Product Key: 3V66T
    HDI Build: non-OEM
    BIOS Version: E1782IMS.11D
    BIOS Release Date: 2016/10/14
    EC Version: 1782EMS1.1091106201514:23:24
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz
    Memory: 32 GB @ 1066 MHz
    - 8192 MB, DDR4-2133, SK Hynix HMA41GS6AFR8N-TF
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060, 6144 MB
    VBIOS Version: 86.06.1f.00.05
    Network: Killer Wireless-n/a/ac 1535 Wireless Network Adapter
    Network: Killer E2400 Gigabit Ethernet Controller

I have stared out most of the serial but its enough to prove that it can be done.

tiliarou and Kwincy like this.
  7. cisco kidd

cisco kidd Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @hacktrix2006, awesome work man and thanks for the update. I dis not follow up on thread since i submitted my GT trade in and have new GT73VR.

I figured since I bought my GT72 2QE off ebay as a refurb and only got 6 mths warranty i would give the trade up a go dor the newer specs vs my 5th gen and to have a full 27 mths warranty upon registering. I went with the GTX 1070 option and 7820HK w 120hz panel. I retained mxm and gained DDR4 and NVME support, kept raid as well, cost was $800 and value given on trade in was basically what i paid for it.

Solid job on your upgrade! Shows it can be done.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

8. hacktrix2006

Reputations:
    @cisco kidd It can be done, wished i had the money for the GTX 1070 to test that as well. Only thing i lost was G-Sync which can be easy to gain back if MSI was to issue a new BIOS with an updated G-Sync License which i very much doubt that will happen ever.

9. sasuke256

sasuke256 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @hacktrix2006 : impressive :) How about the heatsink ? It's a little hard to deal with right ?

10. hacktrix2006

Reputations:
    For my version of the GT72-6QD it was a simple case of buying the GT72VR-6RD GPU Heatsink and replacing the GTX 970m heatsink. No fuss no issues. However i do know that the GT72-2Qx series laptops will need either a GT72-6Qx series / GT72VR-6RD / GT72VR-6RE CPU heatsink as the bridge between the GPU Memory/VRM's to the CPU is not compatible with the GT72-2Qx CPU heatsink. other then that it was pretty straight forward for me. I have a youtube video up showing my upgrade. However i have done MXM Upgrades before so have a little experience.

sasuke256 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.