GT72/GT72S and GT80/GT80S Owners GPU Upgrade Discussion

Discussion in 'MSI' started by hmscott, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Heidern

Heidern Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I do not wonder, my GT80S has the same temperature, under load ... and the msi always told me that it was "totally absolutely normal, feel free to use it" were the exact words.

hmscott likes this.
  2. CARL JONES

CARL JONES Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Like the new GT83VR
    More technology should be put into cooling and making things smaller will help with that by making more room for more effective cooling solutions.

3. CARL JONES

Reputations:
    I think that if we want to discuss this further we should do it "off line"
    Or it will be removed we should stay on topic

4. CARL JONES

Reputations:
    You guys think someone should contact LTT and ask for someone to elaborate more on the comment about the GT80 series not being upgradable? And what that should mean for those that bought one and now can't upgrade. I wonder if they would give their thoughts on what we have been discussing.

hmscott likes this.
  5. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The laws of thermodynamics are immutable - there is little else that can be done except reduce the heat generation.

You can use external cooling, like Asus GX800VH Watercooling, but it's tough to carry with you, and costly to duplicate at other destinations.

No other magical wiggle waggle is available.

6. Q937

Q937 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    This is true, but there's still some room for improvement when it comes to heat transfer and disposal.

hmscott likes this.
  7. CARL JONES

Reputations:
    You know sometimes I think you like disagreeing with me and shooting down my ideas :)

hmscott likes this.
  8. thegreatsquare

thegreatsquare Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    This upgrade program better be the freaking deal of two lifetimes, because I see very little reason to give out cash I'm pretty sure I don't have right now ...nor have later most likely, on top of giving the laptop I do have when it still does this stuff like this:

[​IMG]

hmscott likes this.
  9. hmscott

Reputations:
    It's the "immutable" part that got ya, right?

It's rough going when running up against the walls of nature, they're made of stone.

Unless you are Paris Hilton...

"The Paris Principle is now threatening the universe; Paris Hilton cannot be contained by even the immutable laws of thermodynamics, and I've set it all in motion. "

The heat has to go somewhere, so stop generating heat, convert heat to useful work, or move it along elsewhere outside the system that is generating it.

And, yes, turning the heat into Steam to run a Calliope spinning atop the laptop would work. :D

You could condense water from the air, generate steam, and blow it out an exhaust vent stack over the laptop.

Your idea's aren't limited except by the... yeah, you got it ;)
    Or, was it the "magical wiggle waggle" that tipped you off that I was having a giggle? :confused::eek::Do_O

For me it was the "making things smaller will help with that by making more room for more effective cooling solutions".

That started me going, I'm still giggling :)

'cause ya gotta make'em bigger to give more surface area for the conduction of the heat to the surrounding air.

You can pack many plates of heat conduction to make the efficiency of the heat exchange(r) increase, but that is making the surface area larger too - not smaller where it counts.

Think of it as a really hot cookie.

Then you take the heat of the cookie and distribute it evenly over a pizza.

That cookie sized amount of heat wouldn't even start to melt the cheese, so it would be a cold pizza.

That's what we need, a giant laptop shaped like a pizza, generating the heat of a single cookie. :D

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
    MiSJAH likes this.
  10. hmscott

Reputations:
    There are more and more examples of Pascal overheating laptops of all sizes, but I thought this review posted here was particularly helpful. He has gone through 2 GS63VR's, and come to the same conclusions:

"Got my replacement GS63VR in.. Same issue, I'm to expect all of these units have a high pitched CPU fan (right side looking at the unit)"

"Of course everything works fine at a cost of complete high pitched nonsense noise."

"I find this laptop to not be recommendable by anyone who's not okay with vacuum cleaner-like noise levels. The fans cannot be tuned to be quieter without hitting 90+C on cpu and gpu. "

"I am done with the GS63VR and I wish you all good luck, it's a good looking laptop and has amazing weight and size but it's pretty much garbage on the heat/noise levels in my books."

"It also spits out so much heat it makes the keyboard area uncomfortably hot and forget about putting your hands anywhere near the back sides of the laptop, it will fry you alive."

http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...ro-owners-lounge.795498/page-14#post-10338287

"This laptop is far too thin to be taken seriously and for the money spent on one. My final thoughts and update are above post #132. I absolutely under no circumstance would ever recommend this to anyone. It runs too hot and is far far far too loud. On to other laptops, good luck guys.

And if you're just seeing this, I've had two GS63VRs.. Both identically bad."

http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...ro-owners-lounge.795498/page-14#post-10338338

And, the GS73VR has the same fans as the GS63VR, giving the same symphony of fan music:

"I have both and they are both about the same. The fans are identical."

http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...ro-owners-lounge.795498/page-15#post-10338424

The Clevo P870DM3, the MSI GT83VR, the GS43VR, the GS63VR, the GS73VR, pushed to heavy sustained GPU use when gaming or even light benchmarking they all fold under the load of the Pascal GPU.

Here's the @GenTechPC review of the GT83VR, check out the temperature results for 3dmark Firestrike - for some reason the 3dmark11 results weren't shown...18:00 for the Fire Strike results + temps, go back to 16:28 to see the FLIR view of the heat put out by the laptop - remember this is a brief test. And, go back to 15:15 for fan noise during test run, and back to 8:21 for full 100% fan noise test. And, don't miss the complete tear-down of the laptop starting at 21:30.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016