GT72/GT72S and GT80/GT80S Owners GPU Upgrade Discussion

Discussion in 'MSI' started by hmscott, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Kevin

Kevin Egregious

Reputations:
    Why would it be?

2. Johnksss

Johnksss .

Reputations:
    If it's possible, You would run into a heat sink fitting issue I would think....

3. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    $1200 - $1500 for GPU upgrade alone, it's going to be hard to say.

Johnksss likes this.
  4. pietro.tordini

pietro.tordini Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    In the today video by LTT (on a sager laptop review) a brief comment on the Msi promised update that failed to deliver. Go to 8.00-8.20 to hear it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    07:58-08:22

Linus said "that I can see a near future..."if we fix that" desktops just aren't necessary anymore"

"That" being "upgradeable laptop GPU's can happen", even though upgradeable MXM GPU's failed to materialize for MSI - he didn't mention Clevo.

Boy howdy, that's ballsy.

Linus mouths MSI's promise of 2 generations of GPU upgrades for the GT72/GT80, which fail to happen.

Now Linus starts up that whole fantasy of laptop upgradeable GPU's again, at the same time MSI and Clevo are failing to deliver "that"?

What a Schlemiel, and we're the Schlemazel's...:confused::eek::D:rolleyes:

Another Secret of Life Revealed, 00:02-00:04

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  6. BigKid1973

BigKid1973 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I just wanted to leave a statement here too... MSI better gives us some answer within the next few days or people might decide that it is time to take this to a lawyer...
    MSI adverted the upgrade ability for GT72 and GT80 with GTX9x0M of at least one generation. Now they are not able or willing to deliver. So this is a hidden defect. MSI should better come up with a suggestion how they want to handle this SOON for ALL customers and not just for UK and US.
    I for one am not willing to just forget about this and move on.

I'm starting to wonder if we can't get some pressure by making the hardware press and hardware sites aware of this...All of them reported about the upgradeability and the upgradekits MSI offered for GTX8X0M GT72 and GT80s... Someone here should know someone who knows someone...

I will not be enthusiastic about getting the option to upgrade to a GTX1070 as I'm owning a GTX980M and so I would consider a GTX1080 the right successor - however a GTX1070 would still be acceptable. I would also accept a trade in program to a fair price or a send in to upgrade program. But I won't accept this silence MSI seems to think is the right way to deal with customers outside US and UK where they offer a trade in or send in program.

OnlySLI and hmscott like this.
  7. CARL JONES

CARL JONES Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I think this is great.. And I also think desktops are a soon to be thing of the past. It's about the motherboard and power supply if our GT series laptops would have something like interchangeable parts (GPU ect..) and manufacturers would agree to it like with desktops it could happen. Had MSI partnered with nvidia I think there was a good chance the 2 gen if upgrade would have worked. And we wouldn't be here.

MiSJAH likes this.
  8. hmscott

Reputations:
    That's all happy Kumbaya thinking, but it's likely Nvidia was at the heart of this move to have only desktop GPU's that are way outside the heat / power envelope supported by our generation of laptops.

Which made it impossible for the vendors to also implement "M" level power/thermal model MXM GPU's for our upgrades.

A world like you dream of is the dream of all MXM laptop owners - generational MXM GPU upgrades, but apparently is a nightmare for Nvidia :confused::D:eek:o_O

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  9. CARL JONES

CARL JONES Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I would think that nvidia has it right. No more M only have one type of GPU and figure out now how to make power supply's and all the other components smaller and BTW looking at better air flow by using intake ducts or something I think Asus has a new laptop with intakes.

hmscott likes this.
  10. hmscott

Reputations:
    All the new Pascal laptops run hot GPU under load, it's not good if the top performing laptops, including the GT83VR 1080 SLI run 91c CPU and 90c GPU temps on short benchmarks.

And, slim 1060 / 1070 laptops have loud fans and hot bottoms :confused:

It's not good to have these added increased heat issues, we were really barely cooling before, now it's worse. o_O