GT72/GT72S and GT80/GT80S Owners GPU Upgrade Discussion

Discussion in 'MSI' started by hmscott, Aug 22, 2016.

1. TheQuentincc

TheQuentincc Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    1GreyGhost1 likes this.
  2. hacktrix2006

hacktrix2006 Hold My Vodka, I going to kill my GPU

Reputations:
    You can upgrade to GTX1060 or GTX1070 MXM from MSI depending on which version you have i.e 4th 5th 6th gen will depend on how you got about the heatsink change or modding.

Here is me doing the upgrade on GT72-6QD

This should help you.

Please note if you do the upgrade you'll need to install modded drivers each time and steel series latest version will not work unless you temp flash the DMI area so that the GT72 goes back to GT72-xxx where is xxx is model.

Also bare in mind since that video was made I have TDP modded my GPU to desktop GTX1060 specs and haven't had an issue just look in my signature for results.

As for RTX or even the 1660/1660/1660ti I do not know as I don't have any cards in MXM format to test with nor the heatsink that would be required, most of them cards are also now BGA as well.

Sent from my SNE-LX1 using Tapatalk

3. senso

senso Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Never read anything about the temp DMI flash, could you explain a bit more in depth how is that done?

4. TheQuentincc

Reputations:
    Okay thanks, do you know what is the max GPU TDP the GT72 board can handle ? I would like to try my Zotac GTX 1080 mxm (ouside of chassis).
    I will get two board of haswell GT72 and one from broadwell

5. hacktrix2006

Reputations:
    I wouldn't go for a GTX1080 MXM chances are you will end up having the system shutdown via EC. GTX1070 is the max your going to get working for sure I'd side with a max 150w total draw (peak) with a GTX1070 which is 115w TDP that will peak near 130w when pushed hard. My GTX1060 can hit that when benching with my 129w TDP vbios.
    Ya when you install a pascal card the GT72-xxx bit becomes just GT72, when installing steel series it looks now in the later version at the DMI for the model number and when it sees just GT72 it will not install everything thus the RGB will not work.

I temp flash the DMI before installing so when it goes to read said DMI it will show GT72-xxx (XXX is model number) thus it installs everything and the RGB works.after the reboot the DMI goes back to what it is due to dxe recovering the info and it returns back to GT72 but the RGB will still work as the one part of the driver is installed.

1GreyGhost1 likes this.
  6. TheQuentincc

Reputations:
    And can we modify the EC to increase the power capability of the mxm port ? Or the board is "hard locked" to 130w ?

7. 1GreyGhost1

1GreyGhost1 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
  8. 1GreyGhost1

1GreyGhost1 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    hatrix2006 is the man! he can help you out with the whole proccess. As for the 1070. I saw one floating around ebay for $430 us dollars I believe. You will need the proper heatsink though. There is a guy on here that might help you with that for a reasonable price. woodstock something or nother I think. maybe htrix2006 remebers who I'm talking about.

hacktrix2006 likes this.
  9. hacktrix2006

Reputations:
    If you want to brick your mainboard sure edit the EC firmware as it will kill itself if the checksum fails. So no EC editing is to risky to do so. I have only gone far as 130w on MXM port which is my safety zone wouldn't risk it any further just remember we have only a 230w PSU to use. Just get a GTX1070 (not from a vortex system) slap it in. Install modded drivers and call it a day.

10. hacktrix2006

Reputations:
    You mean majestic bud lol

Kevin@GenTechPC and 1GreyGhost1 like this.