GT72/GT72S and GT80/GT80S Owners GPU Upgrade Discussion

Discussion in 'MSI' started by hmscott, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Rycorlin

Rycorlin Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I had gotten my email recently. It took 3 days from when I responded for him to respond back and that happened on two separate emails going back and forth.. response took 3 days. Of course it all depends on whats going on, but it's odd that he has not responded to you at all. I also asked about a discount.. not in straight words.. but in a "I'm losing my mechanical keyboard just to get an upgrade on a GPU that I should have been able to do from the start" etc etc.. and he responded that prices are firm and hes never been approved for a price drop. So that's my situation.

2. Kwincy

Kwincy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

Today he answered my email and told me a discount isn't available, but he did offer the following for $200:

GT62 DOMINATOR GSYNC i7-7700/GTX1060/16GB/256G+1T/Win10

MSI GT62 Dominator 15.6" G-Sync Desktop Performance Gaming Laptop Intel Core i7-7700HQ GTX1060 16GB DDR4 256GB SSD +1TB Win10 VR Ready

I'm thinking about doing the trade in. It'll be a smaller screen, but g-sync will still be there and a gtx 1060 6GB.

3. ryzeki

ryzeki Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    Ask MSI to check if they can offer you a GT62 with a 1070 and a good price. The natural update to your GPU to have a very good jump in performance will be a 1070. Maybe they can get you one for less than 500.

They initially offered you a GT73 with 1070 for 700, so a GT62 with a 1070 would be a good compromise to not spend so much in the models with SLI or 1080 that seem expensive enough.

Otherwise, the 1060 is still an upgrade, just not as big.

4. Rycorlin

Rycorlin Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    G-Sync would be great, but I know for me I couldn't drop down to that size screen.

5. damarsh33

damarsh33 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey all. Newcomer to the thread.

I have a gt72s 6qe (980m) and I literally learned about this upgrade debacle 2 days ago as I was trying to source out the cause of a sudden power failure of my laptop under load. It ended up being some unregistered temperature spikes due to old paste on the GPU that subsequently fixed last night :D (yay for temps of 15c lower and no wonky graphs anymore!).

I sent an email to MSI yesterday requesting that I be included in this program. I'm the original owner of my laptop but for whatever reason after I registered I was never notified of this from MSI. I'm guessing they were purposefully not proactive about it.

Am I too late to the game for my upgrade request? Should I just go to eBay and buy a 1070? Do I need a new heat sink for that 1070?

I'm trying to work through 480 pages of thread but I was hoping maybe one of you folks that have been with this since near the beginning could give me the TLDR.

What would be my best bet as of this point?

MiSJAH likes this.
  6. Rycorlin

Rycorlin Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    As far as I'm aware the reason why this upgrade is happening is because they can not honor their promise of us being able to upgrade into the 10xx line of video cards like we were originally supposed to be able to do. So you won't be able to do that. The best thing you can do, I would say, is just wait until you hear from Ming and get your options and see if any of them meet your satisfaction.

7. Kwincy

Kwincy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I ended up taking him up on the offer and I shipped my laptop on Monday. It should get to them by Friday and I'll report back once I get the new laptop. For the people who haven't done this yet, there still seems to be time to join the upgrade program.

hmscott likes this.
  8. damarsh33

damarsh33 Newbie

Reputations:
    Just got an email from Ming this evening and filled out the form. I can confirm that the trade-in program as of now is still being honored.

We *can* upgrade the video card, but it takes either a different heat sink or a modification of the existing one in order to put a gtx1070 into the PC (it's about $630 now for an MXM 1070 that fits).

I'd honestly just rather have MSI give me a new box, though. For the same money I can get all new tech and a new warranty, so why not?

hmscott likes this.
  9. Rycorlin

Rycorlin Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    What are the opinions on MSI VR Ready GT73VR Titan SLI-058 (Offered at $900) vs MSI GT73VR TITAN PRO-872 (Offered at $1000). I don't care about weight involved I'm just curious what the better deal turns out to be vs performance with gaming and price. I imagine the SLI has better total GPU performance but has the lesser processor. However I imagine that for gaming I wouldn't need the increased processing power?

Also has anyone tried to ask for an 18' with a full sized keyboard for trade? I love my full sized mechanical keyboard in my GT80.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
  10. Rycorlin

Rycorlin Notebook Guru

Reputations:

I did end up asking about the 18' options and were given these options:

GT83VR TITAN SLI-253

GT83VR TITAN SLI-213

GT83VR TITAN SLI-252

GT83VR TITAN SLI-212

However I decided I'd rather have the 120hz screen instead of the IPS screen.