GT72/GT72S and GT80/GT80S Owners GPU Upgrade Discussion

Discussion in 'MSI' started by hmscott, Aug 22, 2016.

1. spurst

spurst Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You are essentially taking an early Gen 2 trade in. You don't have to take the GT75VR trade. It is optional. As I already said, the GT73VR 058 was the best "deal".

2. Midas Touch

Midas Touch Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I understand now why it's no longer qualified for the 2nd gen. trade in program. The 73VR 058 is loaded for bear but those two power bricks...I fink I'm gonna get crushed because a I'm relatively small person. I also find the micro stutter in SLI setup to be annoying, the reason why I'm tossing my GT80S 980M SLI out of the window. :(

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
  3. spurst

Reputations:
    FWIW, I was told that my GT75VR will have a full 2 year warranty - I have it in writing via email and I specifically asked. I also offered to skip my 2nd upgrade since they were making a special accommodation to fit my needs, but that was not one of the terms they required when I accepted my GT75VR Trade-in.

It sounds like they are now formalizing some type of process for those users who want a GT75VR. From my perspective, the GT75VR was the first model they offered that met my needs of a replacement given my requirements at the start of the program (single power brick, GTX1080, mechanical keyboard).

Given the costs and headache involved, I will likely still skip that 2nd trade-in unless the next round is truly amazing. I only game at 1080p, so the GTX 1080 is enough for my needs at this time. The only reason I could possibly see myself going for another trade if is they get a stronger single power brick, and then I may reconsider the GT83VR as a viable option.

tiliarou and Midas Touch like this.
  4. spurst

Reputations:
    Just curious - why isn't it - what did they tell you?

5. Midas Touch

Reputations:
    I guess you're lucky to have that now and still qualified for the 2nd gen. trade in program. and if something bad happen (I hope none) you're still covered with 2 year warranty.

They didn't tell me why.

Tbh, I'm at the fence right now. It's either I get any of the GT73VR that they offer now and trade it later on for the 2nd gen. The problem with this is that I don't live in the U.S so I'm sending it to someone that I know for $200 shipping fee and another $200 + Tax ($300 estimate) on it's way back here or I get the GT75VR now but worried that If they offer a lot better with their 2nd gen. trade in program I'm no longer qualified.

P.S

I already sent the laptop 2 weeks ago in the U.S because it needs repair, some defect somewhere in the laptop and it's covered with MSI warranty service. After it gets repaired it will be sent to someone that I know in the U.S until I decide what to do next.

6. spurst

Reputations:
    you're already having issues and it is in warranty repair services. At the very least I would take the trade and refresh your warranty period. You can also take a GT73VR with a single 1080 GTX that will only need 1 power brick. Were I in your shoes, I would want something with 2 years warranty coverage and a 6th gen CPU so you get better pricing on the trade. There is room to negotiate on the remaining 6th gen devices.

Had I been offered only a 1 yr warranty or they truly required me to skip my 2nd upgrade I might have picked the GT73VR SLI-058.

tiliarou and Midas Touch like this.
  7. Midas Touch

Reputations:
    Based on what is written in all the MSI reseller sites e.g HIDevolution and XoticPC all the models only have 1 year warranty.

Since I don't like having two power bricks, 4K display and SLI setup, I've narrowed down my choices (downsides highlighted in red):

GT73VR Titan Pro-865: FHD, GTX 1080, i7-7700HQ, 32GB memory, 512GB M.2 SATA 6Gb/s SSD, 1TB HDD, 1 yr. MSI + Global Warranty = $650
    GT73VR Titan Pro-872: FHD, GTX 1080, i7-7820HK, 32GB memory, RAID 0 (2x 512GB M.2 SATA SSD, 1TB HDD, 1 yr. MSI + Global Warranty = $950
    GT75VR Titan Pro-202: You know the specs, 1 yr. MSI + Global Warranty, Adios 2nd gen. trade in program = $700

I already have 2 x 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws 2666Mhz RAM, 120GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD, 2TB Seagate Firecuda SSHD. So pretty much the stock memory and storage are gonna get replaced.

8. Rycorlin

Rycorlin Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I just got my offer and "Trading in for: New GTxxVR Series laptop with GTX10xx Series GPU w/ 2 year Warranty"

Showing 2 year warranty

Kevin@GenTechPC likes this.
  9. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Congrats, North America has 2-year regional warranty, be sure to check with MSI to see if you are eligible for the accidental warranty on the first year. :)

Rycorlin likes this.
  10. Kwincy

Kwincy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Here's the reply I got from Ming a few weeks ago:

Your laptop: GT72 w/980M
    Upgraded Equivalent Unit GT72VR Dominator Pro w/GTX 1070 $700 - Out Of stock

GT73VR TITAN w/ 1070 $900
    In stock GT73VR
    Titan 4K-867*New

GT73VR Titan Pro w/GTX 1080 $1200
    In stock
    GT73VR TITAN PRO-865*New

GT73VR Titan Pro w/GTX 1080 $2000
    In stock
    GT73VR TITAN PRO 4K-858*New

GT73VR Titan SLI w GTX 1070 $2000
    In stock
    GT73VR Titan SLI-058

GT83VR Titan SLI w/GTX 1070 $2700
    In stock
    GT83VR TITAN SLI-213*New

GT83VR Titan SLI w/GTX 1080 $3600
    In stock
    GT83VR TITAN SLI-212*New

I emailed him back to see if there are any discounts available. I emailed him last fall and never heard back and then again at the beginning of this month.