GT72/GT72S and GT80/GT80S Owners GPU Upgrade Discussion

Discussion in 'MSI' started by hmscott, Aug 22, 2016.

1. ryzeki

ryzeki Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    Since the next gen is Volta, I suspect we won't be hearing about the new trade in until the first quarter of next year. nVidia is in no rush to push volta due to lack of competition.

MiSJAH likes this.
  2. gh0stx

gh0stx Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Wow good for you guys over there at UK.

Are there any updates on US side? Like improved offers as well? Thanks

3. ryzeki

Reputations:
    So far we know the program is still going and that models get updated with available SKUs. For example, the initial orders used 6th gen CPUs, then they removed those and used 7th gen.

I am curious as how the updated model list will work. Current GT73 has been demoted to "mid range" and GT75 is the high end, due to chipset and configurations. I suspect the GT73 would eventually become the "cheaper" upgrade path, but sadly with caveats due to HM175.

In general, MSRP of machines everywhere has either increased or remained the same, so I don't think we will have a good offer yet. When volta launches, I just hope there are affordable, high end chipset options, without terabytes of SSDs and hundreds of GB of RAM.

aunit and MiSJAH like this.
  4. aunit

aunit Newbie

Reputations:
    So true ryzeki. In the time it took for them to get back to me. The model of laptop I wanted is no longer offered, in it's place is a machine that has far too much ram imo at 64gb's and more expensive oem SSD space than I would like. Which makes it $800 more than I wanted to spend. Not to mention, I am downgrading and losing a m.2 sata space and a bluray player. This loss of features that I actually want and use is not reflected in the price and I haven't made any headway with getting the price down at all.

Still trying on that one. I'm asking for a refurb unit, or the model I wanted as I don't want to have to be forced into spending much more money for a decent machine with sli. The only other options below this one are the single 1080 models Which are still at hellishly high prices for a trade in downgrade way to low.

Hopefully something works out or MSI has lost my business for good. This was such a botched attempt and so shady. Luckily someone started the class action or I doubt we would have seen any kind of program.

MiSJAH likes this.
  5. ryzeki

Reputations:
    The program started before the class action. The problem was that MSI was caught completely off guard, and it had to take time to assemble a dedicated team. Then keep in mind users are worldwide, so the pressure and questions came literally from everywhere. I wish things would have gone smoother so that users interested in the program would have been able to choose different tiers of options. As time passes, SKUs come and go, I can see the problem where your options are either wait, or go too high, or go lower. So it's not ideal.

At this point maybe the best course of action is to wait for the first wave of volta offerings, otherwise the deal might become more expensive than necessary.

Kevin@GenTechPC likes this.
  6. aunit

aunit Newbie

Reputations:
    Yeah, but I'm sure at the 2nd gen upgrades if you skip first gen they are going to value your machine slightly lower.

I just went thru a large email about MSRP and how the model I was trying to get has been at significantly lower prices on amazon and other 3rd parties for longer than 5 months how I don't believe it is fair to give me the MSRP value as I could buy one from xotic pc for $450 under MSRP and have been able to do that for 5 months now. Which is really a shaft to the customer. If I sold my laptop for $1500 and just bought one from xotic pc I would pay less than the trade in price. Which I think is a bit of a sad fact.

tiliarou and MiSJAH like this.
  7. spurst

spurst Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This is my struggle as well. I have an outstanding email to Ming, and emailed him again just now. Hopefully he returns my email.

If I can get the GT75VR I may take them up on a trade. My requirements that I shared back when they first contacted me with the initial trade-in offer - Top tier GPU / GTX 1080, single power adapter, and Mechanical Keyboard - basically the same as what my GT80 has. I refuse to carry around 2 bricks, buy an aftermarket solution, and I didn't want a 1070 SLI.

If they can get me into a GT75VR-202 for a reasonable price, I'll turn back in to a happy customer. That model is $2,799.00 at various resellers.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
    tiliarou likes this.
  8. sasuke256

sasuke256 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    nothing new for france, they simply ignored the whole thing xD

9. gh0stx

gh0stx Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I just hope the lawsuit results to something atleast.

1. They didn't even publicly announce the trade in program.
    2. Not all countries participated (I was also told that my country is not participating, so unless I go back to the states and ship it to them, I cant participate. )
    3. The prices offered was outrageous and inconsistent.

Was very disappointed with my laptop, Ill just sell it instead seeing the offers didn't change

sasuke256 and MiSJAH like this.
  10. aunit

aunit Newbie

Reputations:

Unfortunately I asked about the 75vr's and was told they will not be included on this round of trade ins.

Just wanted to let you know I got my offer reviewed and they sent me back a literal offer I cannot refuse.

My suggestion would be to decide on a model you can live with and do some price research with camelcamelcamel.com and highlight the differences between models as much as you can plus price it is commonly being listed at on amazon. Tell them how you are feeling taken advantage of by the trade in program and they will make you a much better offer. This will be better for you when the volta trade in's come as you will have a newer machine that is valued much higher than your 2 gen or older notebook.

At least that is my take on it. Try as hard as you can for the 75vr model you want. You never know just try, I did and it turned out better than I even dreamed by a lot. Be polite and make them want to help you. really focus on how you feel like they are taking advantage of you with the trade in offers, if you don't make a fuss they will happily sell it to you at max price. So make a fuss but still be polite and treat them like humans. It helps a ton.

MiSJAH and Kevin@GenTechPC like this.