GT72/GT72S and GT80/GT80S Owners GPU Upgrade Discussion

Discussion in 'MSI' started by hmscott, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Q937

Q937 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The 1080 physically cannot fit. GDDR5X requires a layout which makes it impossible to have the die be in the corner like in a standard MXM card. For the GT80, there's also constraints with maximum power since it was only certified to use 330W. But there's zero reason to have the 1070 not be a standard MXM drop-in replacement for the 980M. It has similar thermals and has no layout problems. I'm even 99% sure that you can use the 1070 in the GT80, since it has the same shape as the 130W 980 MXMs and uses less power. The tab on the card is literally there just so people can't use it easily as an upgrade.

2. hacktrix2006

hacktrix2006 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    GTX1070 uses upto 127-130w off the bat. I have seen this kind of power draw on a gt72 already. However the card is smart enough to only use what it can before Vrel'ing out and cutting core clocks. The GTX1060 in mine has even burst fired into 100w a few times before doing the same. GTX1080 wouldn't fit nore be able to have enough power to be beneficial over a gtx1070.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Kevin@GenTechPC likes this.
  3. OWNORDISOWN

OWNORDISOWN Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    How about the Gigabyte P57xv7? I will have a full review on it on my channel by the end of the week www.youtube.com/ownordisown

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

sicily428 and Kevin@GenTechPC like this.
  4. hacktrix2006

hacktrix2006 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Not understanding what you mean are you asking about power of the GPU on that system?

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

5. sasuke256

sasuke256 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well they did offer switching program in USA, in europe they offered the "nam" (nothing or 1200€ for a downgrade of the machine + a 1060 gpu).
    Means they could have offered upgrade kits to 1060/1070 but they said, "meh, nope". moar cash is better, moar moar !!!

Mr. Fox and tiliarou like this.
  6. Nathan M

Nathan M Newbie

Reputations:
    Great News, Did you finally receive it? Also, did they give you paperwork, I have recently sent in the form for the second time, missed the first Deadline of Oct 31 and then Missed the Second as I got busy with holidays. I was wondering if you got paperwork so when they make an offer like your first one, I can say "That aint gonna work! and maybe show them your paperwork, could help out some folks. For anyone wondering, I received an email today 7/17/17 and they said to ignore date and that they are busy with alot of submissions. I think there original plan was to try and sneak this under the radar.

7. Kevin

Kevin Egregious

Reputations:
    Could one of you guys still in the process, ask your contact if the GT75VR is going to be added to the trade in options?

Midas Touch likes this.
  8. Midas Touch

Midas Touch Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I guess I'm in.

They finally replied to my email (after 3 weeks)

I have a question tho

What does this mean? "*You may opt out for this generation upgrade and go with 2nd generation upgrade (TBC). *"

I just sent an email asking about this so stay tuned.

9. Midas Touch

Midas Touch Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @hmscott @Kevin

[​IMG]

Then they suddenly updated to the last minute.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    There is not much of an option here, I don't need 4K or SLI tbh. I'll either be desperate to get one of the models or wait for the 2nd generation (which I'm afraid of the possibility of them changing the policy for the trade-in program).

Though I'm still grateful that they let me into this trade-in program.

@Kevin

What is your Cinebench R15 FPS with your GTX 1070?

@Vasudev

I'm not sure if I should upgrade my GT80S (980M SLI) to a GT73 (GTX 1070) after seeing the result here:

(Skip to 5:40)

(Skip to 3:27)

It seems I've got almost better result than than any of these MSI newer models: http://i.imgur.com/fmcni8p.jpg now I know you can OC a GTX 1070 but meh.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
    MiSJAH and hmscott like this.
  10. thegreatsquare

thegreatsquare Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    MSI is on my crap list. I never even bothered with the trade in program because I don't want W10. Now I see they have these new "Max-Q" version of 1070/1080 that can run 100w. MSI should honor it's original pledge, ...but they continue to be the kind of scum that walks away from a guarantee.

MiSJAH likes this.