GT72/GT72S and GT80/GT80S Owners GPU Upgrade Discussion

Discussion in 'MSI' started by hmscott, Aug 22, 2016.

1. aj0413

aj0413 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Eh.......At that point I'd just have one externally; no laptop is perfect. I mean, you sometimes get that perfect set up, but, and this is just my experience, that is incredibly rare.

If your lugging around the beast, your gonna need a large laptop bag anyway, so the external will easily fit in that and if your using smaller laptop you'll still be using something to carry it ... so you'll likely till have carry space for an external. Those things are pretty compact nowadays.

I do get what you mean though. All that money and investment....kinda defeats the purpose if it doesn't tick all the right boxes.

Actually, the GT72VR has an optical drive so you might prefer that option. You'll be losing out on MUX button for switching graphics cards, but....

Oh, and actually I spammed there email using different subject tag lines to grab attention. When I finally got someone I called instead of emailed. Worked much faster and got me a much better deal.

Here:
    Ming S. Rong
    PM Coordinator
    Tel: +1(626)913-0828 ext 147
    Email: mingrong@msi.com

He's the one who was my contact point and handling my trade in. He's pretty chill.

Try calling; might do you better.

Otherwise, yeah, it took me about a month to get someone.

EDIT:
    While getting the GT72VR will definitely save money and should realistically meet all your needs if you only want a 1070 and an optical drive....I don't know if they come with 6th or 7th gen CPU. If they come with the 6th, then I very strongly recommend against the 1080 as you'll just bottleneck it; it doesn't OC the same way that the 7820 does to take match the power of it.

You're going to lose out on SSD and RAM no matter which option you take, though as far as I'm aware. I know the 83 model can come with more, but it's waaaay overpriced when you can just install your own later if you absolutely need it. Otherwise, I doubt you'll feel the missing 16 GB RAM. The storage space might require some changes on your part, but ..... eh that's what the extra slot is for if you want to install another.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
  2. CARL JONES

CARL JONES Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi guys...Things are going OK on my end. However I have a request. Does anyone have the full advertisement from the MSI website about the GT80 and the GT72 before the release of the 10xx series before they changed it. I need the whole page if anyone has it not a clip of part. The one that use to be in the lounge for the GT80 desktop would be great.

tiliarou and MiSJAH like this.
  3. Q937

Q937 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The only thing I have is the screenshots I took back in 2016. http://imgur.com/a/OiHau
    You can try checking web.archive.org but last I checked they didn't have any copies of the model pages, and the Google caches have been updated to the new version by this point.

tiliarou and MiSJAH like this.
  4. hacktrix2006

hacktrix2006 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It's also in the boxes too.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

MiSJAH likes this.
  5. tiliarou

tiliarou Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    gt72fr-1.JPG gt72fr-2.JPG
    Sorry it's only from MSI French website, will dig up more for US version I think I might have it as well...

MiSJAH likes this.
  6. Zyxian

Zyxian Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello.

Even though I've read here that you have to pester them to get the upgrade going, I've been patient and waiting for them to call me. In the mean time a question crossed my mind.

Since the upgrade is suppose to be good for the next 2 iterations of the video card, has anyone heard when the 1100s might be slated to show up? I can't find anything on the interwebs.

Thanks for any input.

Zyxian

7. Kevin

Kevin Egregious

Reputations:
    Nvidia has never implied anything but a 2018 commercial release.

I'm pretty sure MS would've sat on the GT75 for a while, if Volta was imminent.

FredS likes this.
  8. Zyxian

Zyxian Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you Kevin.

Since I'm waiting for them to contact me and at the speed they seem to be moving it just MAY BE 2018 when I get a call. LOL

9. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The MSI 1070's from their Vortex G65VR went in easy into an old Clevo and work great - even on its designed-for-75W 2 piece 670M heatsinks - using 110W+ the cards sit on ~79C/86C (same temps as the original GPUs actually)

I cbf going back and finding my posts from late last year when I said I strongly suspected MSI was totally lying about how different the Pascal architecture was and how it needed a new chassis behind it... anyway here I am putting TWO in a 5 year old Clevo model with an Ivy Bridge CPU and getting perfectly normal 1070 SLI graphics scores in 3dmark off one 330W powerbrick ...

tiliarou, FredS and MiSJAH like this.
  10. Zyxian

Zyxian Newbie

Reputations:
    I know what you mean. Before my GT80 I had a GT780R. It came with a 560M card in it. I called MSI and if it could upgraded. I was told no because of the heat issue. Well the laptop stopped working, it was under warranty so it was sent in to MSI. When it came back it had at 67?M something in it.. It ran fine until one of the fans stopped working. Since it was no longer under warranty and I wanted an SLI machine, I got the GT 80.

So I was told by MSI "No it can't be upgrade: but yet they put the next gen card in.

Go figure...