GT72/GT72S and GT80/GT80S Owners GPU Upgrade Discussion

Discussion in 'MSI' started by hmscott, Aug 22, 2016.

1. woodzstack

woodzstack Alezka Computers , Official Clevo reseller.

Reputations:
    Oh wow, thank you for the mention, yeah, would be a shame if everyone anticipated upgrading to 1080 and bought the current version only to be slapped in the face with a "you need new motherboard and 330W PSU and heatsinks, and different bios and case etc.. to upgrade 2 weeks later.
    then you attempt to return it, and well, non-faulty returns are 25% restock, so not a very fun time for anyone. Buy what your looking for, and know ahead of time. However - I recommend the current build with a 1070NN and the 7700K (thanks to new bios) and the 120hz display with g-sync !
    Trust me, it's like 1,000$ less then it should be in value. Buy now before things increase in price.
    If your not sure what you should buy, I'm willing to discuss it on discord or convo me, or ask in these threads, more then 1 person has experience with these.

2. RandomID

RandomID Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hold on a sec... Isn't MSI 16L13 15.6"?

Upd.: Yeah, I wish there was a 17.3" version based on GT72VR... that would be great. But seems like no luck so far.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
    hmscott likes this.
  3. woodzstack

Reputations:
    15.6" we probably all just overlooked that being written, good catch !

haha he editted it afterwards too :p

I would do the same :=

RandomID and hmscott like this.
  4. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Hopeful thinking showing through, I want it to be a 17.3" offering too, 15.6" is too small for me. ;)

It's just a typo, ya edit it to fix it for future readers, no sense keeping incorrect information in a post - make it right so others aren't confused.

RandomID likes this.
  5. woodzstack

Reputations:
    it was wishful thinking :p

hmscott likes this.
  6. KommandantKavu

KommandantKavu Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It has now been 17 days with no further e-mail contact from MSI. -- Just an update.

So, what news has there been? From what I'm reading, they're out of stock on the single 1070 models? Pricing may be affected by what the restock with if potentially using that opportunity to throw in the new CPU's?

FFS.. I was really hoping for the opportunity to get this sorted by the end of the year, and now I'm hoping to at least hear back at some point..

hmscott likes this.
  7. woolfman72

woolfman72 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Been over a month for me.

hmscott likes this.
  8. Support.1@XOTIC PC

Support.1@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    I would continue to follow up to their email and see if they have any updates. If anybody who purchased a computer from us is still waiting for an update, reach out to me, and I'll see if I can find out any info on your computer.

hmscott and woolfman72 like this.
  9. Delme_21

Delme_21 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So I've been working with a MSI representative to do this trade in program but I'm having issues with their fax number where it's been non-stop busy/non-responsive. Has anyone gotten their fax number included with the CC authorization form to work or was given another number to use? The representative I'm working with wants me to email it as a pdf but there's no way in heck I'm going to send it over in a non-encrypted email.

hmscott likes this.
  10. woolfman72

woolfman72 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    if you are sending them a Credit card number why worry about the encryption? I have had a few cards compromised and it is the reason i ONLY use credit cards. It does not matter to me if the info gets stolen. Because its not my money. I pick up the phone and kindly let them know that someone has stolen their money . Please send me a new card.