GT72/GT72S and GT80/GT80S Owners GPU Upgrade Discussion

Discussion in 'MSI' started by hmscott, Aug 22, 2016.

1. KommandantKavu

KommandantKavu Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I used the 'LMGTFY' link you provided and still can't find an accurate list of what's not supported.. Even the mentioned recent Wolfenstein titles I don't recall having issues with when I forced the sampling.. Hmm.. *shrug* And I'm quite an avid gamer.. -- I was just wondering if you personally could recall any newer titles that had this issue.

So you're only saying the 1080 SLI is better than the 1070 SLI to the 1080, because if it doesn't support SLI you're getting the same performance either way? Ok, I can see that.

Not a big concern for me, still waiting for VR to mature a bit.

This has not been my experience at all recently..

Also a non-problem for me. I used to carry a 60+lb bag with me everywhere full of my text books and the additional measly 8lb laptop I slung over my arm throughout college.. even if they're slightly bulkier than the large GT80's. God forbid I need to shift a few pieces of desk things around.. lol (If they can be stacked without worry of fire-hazard, hell, might even be better than my GT80's) -- I mean think of the workout! Free exercise functionality included with purchase! ;)

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
  2. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Yeah, the GT83VR / GT73VR are huge thick in back, look at the side views in review videos.

They are both definitely instruments of war, when you run out of ammo, pick up your SLI laptop to bludgeon the enemy, then tie them up with all those power supply wires ;)

There is so much mass in the bag with the GT80 + one heavy 330w PSU, I can only imagine what it will be like with 2x 330w PSU + adapter box, plus GT83VR's bulk. Wow.

Most lists of games for SLI are lists of games that support SLI, not lists of games that don't support SLI.
    http://www.game-debate.com/news/10694/complete-list-of-compatible-nvidia-sli-supported-games

I don't buy non-SLI games, I only have one in mind from watching for SLI support over a long time - ARMA - that I wanted to get, but it didn't support SLI, but now it does. Otherwise I check each game out when I get interested in it, I don't keep a list of non-SLI games handy.

There are a lot of games I recall that didn't support SLI, but months or a year later they finally did.

Remember I am a proponent of SLI, so I am always going to think positively about it, so I need to be careful to not over promote it, gotta mention the pitfalls too :)

It's important for someone thinking of getting an SLI computer to know all the pitfalls before hand, otherwise they are gonna come back later and complain that you didn't tell them their favorite game doesn't support SLI!!

I am not gonna dedicate my life to keeping a list of SLI / non-SLI games, especially when they change so frequently. New Nvidia drivers break SLI all the time, as often as new games get SLI support in new drivers, it's an ever changing list.

You are welcome to build such lists, keep them to the minute updates, and publish them for all to benefit :)

@KommandantKavu

Here you go, you can always count on an SLI detractor to climb out of the darkness to bad-mouth SLI, and you can count on them to keep an up to date list of a handful of the latest games that don't yet support SLI as their *huge* reason to poo-poo SLI :)

That list used to include almost every new game at release.

After a few months each and every one drops off the list as SLI support is added.

DX12 might take longer, but it already supports multiple GPU rendering - not SLI - but still it will use both of your GPU's, eventually.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2016
    bennyg likes this.
  3. Carrot Top

Carrot Top Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    If you don't mind me asking, how many unofficial SLI fixes for games have you published, and what is your knowledge of NvAPI, DRS API, and SLI-related bits and driver hacks? Just food for thought before you poo-poo my educated assessment of SLI. ;)

briedfox, bennyg and hmscott like this.
  4. hmscott

Reputations:
    I didn't say your educated assessment wasn't true, I just said you can always count on an SLI detractor to pop out of the darkness with a list of new games that don't currently support SLI :)

If you look back at the recent SLI discussion posts here, @KommandantKavu was looking for a list of non-SLI supporting games, and there you are with just that list at the ready :)

5. Carrot Top

Carrot Top Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    On the contrary, most of the SLI fixes I've published have been for older games or games whose SLI support has been broken in more recent drivers. It's much more difficult to hack in SLI for newer titles due to non AFR-friendly rendering techniques and the limited number of SLI-related functions in the driver.

briedfox, bennyg and hmscott like this.
  6. KommandantKavu

KommandantKavu Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Are they larger than the GT80's?

See, tons of possibilities! Turn those double power brick into some kind of Nunchaku!

I was in no way presuming you'd do such a thing. I almost never even check now for SLI support, it's never been a real issue for me (besides flickering). Total War and BF1 come to mind for shadow issues (but I've even fixed those with modified in-game settings).. But Titanfall 2(though I purchased it over thanksgiving, so it's probably gotten patches) I haven't seen ANY issues with.. runs smooth as butter. (The rest aren't my kind of game)

I don't want to sound like I'm being a contrarian, I just personally from my limited anecdotal experience, have had almost no issues with SLI besides very few select instances.. But no more than any new single GPU.. Maybe I'm just extremely lucky?

This is fair!

I'm not even sure why we are discussing this in the fashion of you being against it and me defending it. My request was fairly innocuous, I had no ill-intent, was simply curious.

hmscott likes this.
  7. hmscott

Reputations:
    Well you kinda need to be able to argue a point from both sides to be able to understand all the facets of something. :)

Yeah, the GT83VR is big time bigger in back than the GT80. Looking at the internals you can see why, the cooling system is multi-level and too tall to have fit in the GT80 height case.

This video has some interesting views.

04:30-05:00 PSU's, connector box, cables, weight 6 lbs 9 oz

05:20-06:00 laptop weight 11.7 lbs, and side view of huge height 3" in back 2" in front.

8. Kevin

Kevin Egregious

Reputations:
    Anyone have the address on hand, that we're shipping our laptops to in the US? I accidentally deleted the email with the info, and don't feel like waiting for them to respond to an email requesting it again.

hmscott likes this.
  9. shin01176

shin01176 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    GT80 SLI-001 weighs 9.9 lbs + 1x power brick/cable
    GT83VR SLI-024 weighs 13.13 lbs + 2x power bricks/cables

So yeah good bit of difference.

Side note.. would still love a non-generic mass reply from MSI....

hmscott likes this.
  10. hmscott

Reputations:
    Look at your outgoing replies, maybe it's in the chain of reply text in your most recent reply email?