GT72/GT72S and GT80/GT80S Owners GPU Upgrade Discussion

Discussion in 'MSI' started by hmscott, Aug 22, 2016.

1. wrlutey

wrlutey Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I bought mine in January 2016. What was your offer? I tried going back through posts and looking but am on mobile.

2. Neo79

Neo79 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I looked at yours online and it looks like the same except my model number is GT72S 6QF(DominatorProGDragon)-094UK
    I was offered £2209. original price £2599
    Bought in june 2016

Does it go on time or is it a lottery ?

It just gets confusing, so many diffrent models which are all very simular.
    I do wonder what the diffrence is.

3. wrlutey

wrlutey Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    From looking at it here: http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/9S7-178344-094-MSI-GT72S-6QF(Dominator-Pro-G-Dragon)-09_1917427.html there's no difference in specs I can see, different included bag though.

4. KommandantKavu

KommandantKavu Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The 1070 SLI performs better than the 1080 solo from what I've seen..?

FYI. Since Saturday I have not had any further contact with MSI.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2016
    hmscott likes this.
  5. Sivirax

Sivirax Newbie

Reputations:
    I have not been contacted in 1 month 13 days.. almost 1 message every week.. still nothing... so.. be patient.. i guess.

briedfox and hmscott like this.
  6. KommandantKavu

Reputations:
    Did you receive an initial response though?

briedfox and hmscott like this.
  7. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    If the application software, game, benchmark, etc support SLI that's true, the 1070 SLI will outperform a single 1080.

But, if the software only supports 1 GPU, then the single 1080 will outperform the 1070 SLI - because the software only "see's" the single 1070.

That's the choice when building a computer with SLI of less than the top GPU.

If you have a 1080 SLI then even if the software only runs on 1 GPU it's still the fastest single GPU available.

It's a trade off.

I wrote a few posts ending in this last post about 1070 SLI, with other user comments, you might check out those thread posts for some additional perspectives:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...scussion-thread.794965/page-349#post-10409706

8. KommandantKavu

Reputations:
    Seemed like a weird comment to describe the succession of the single '1080' to be the '1080 SLI' if you're using the logic that SLI is a non-factor due to it being excluded from certain software? Then it wouldn't be supplanted by the 1080 SLI any more than the 1070 SLI would.

I thought maybe somehow the single 1080 GPU outperformed the 1070's in SLI and you were excluding it intentionally. Hence my question mark. :p

I will check out the post in a bit to see your additional comments.

Edit: Of all the software and games I've used or played recently, I haven't come across any that have not supported SLI..

A recent patch to Rainbow Six: Siege disabled SLI briefly, and I 'forced' it to render SLI in the Nvidia utility which caused no problems at the time..

Outside of that, nothing in recent memory.. Are there any popular titles or software tools that don't utilize SLI but are graphically intense enough to prefer a single 1080 over a 1070 in SLI?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
  9. hmscott

Reputations:
    It's funny, when I suggest SLI many point out the non-SLI supporting titles, of which there are enough to make sure people understand SLI isn't a slam dunk for being the top performer.

That's why I pointed out the 1080 SLI is the best SLI to get so that even if an app doesn't support SLI, you still have the highest performing single GPU to fall back on. With a 1070 SLI laptop it could be outperformed by a single 1080 laptop on software that only uses 1 GPU.

VR apps only use 1 GPU for the most part, I think some of the technical demos like the VR Performance test use dual GPU (VR SLI).

Many new games only come out single GPU, and then the developer puts out SLI support through Nvidia and/or a game update.

You need to look at every game to see if it has SLI support. Google it :)
    https://www.google.com/search?q=non...rome..69i57.2498j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Nvidia used to keep a list of games that support SLI, somewhere in their SLI section I assume, but I don't see it off-hand:
    http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/sli

The real drag (pun intended) with the SLI machines this generation is that they *require* 2 physically independent Power Supplies merged together with a physical Coupler box - with the associated mass of wires between all those parts, the wall power, and the laptop :)

10. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I've just been playing SC2 in 4K :) which has no official SLI profile but worked fine with it forced on via AFR (either type 1 or 2) set from Nvidia control panel. So it is possible

hmscott and KommandantKavu like this.
  11. hmscott

Reputations:
    Yes, but not all games will support SLI, even with a hack, but everyone tries to get the non-SLI games working in SLI when you have an SLI computer. It can become a time consuming never ending hunt to get games to support SLI, some never do.

That's the other thing about SLI, you need to have an awareness and dedication to interactions for tuning and hacking to get it to work, often enough that you should know going in it's gonna be your thing as part of being an SLI owner.

With a single GPU, you just need to worry about game settings, Nvidia 3D settings, and OC'ing your GPU / CPU to get optimal performance. Adding SLI makes add's whole 'nuther range of possibilities to be aware of.

I enjoy it, but some don't, and complain about their time with SLI as being burdensome, focusing on all the negatives - some people get OCD about not being able to get a game to support SLI - *that one single game that is the center of their lives* ;)

All good stuff to be aware of before getting / building an SLI computer.

bennyg likes this.