GT72/GT72S and GT80/GT80S Owners GPU Upgrade Discussion

Discussion in 'MSI' started by hmscott, Aug 22, 2016.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Yeah, there really is no exciting upgrade from a 980m SLI without going full 1080 SLI, at least in my estimation.

Another way to think about it is you are preserving value forward to have a newer laptop for the Volta trade-in.

MSI USA hasn't answered me yet on what our Maxwell trade-in values will be if we wait until the 2nd generation.

If MSI will allow us to wait and still have the same trade-in value as now then there is no penalty for waiting until the 2nd generation to trade-in. We really need an answer from MSI on this.

Otherwise if the value goes down between now and Volta, getting a Pascal trade-in now would make sense even if I want to wait till Volta, just to preserve value.

IDK what to say about the cost of trade-in vs. Xmas sales, but it's worth bringing up. IDK what they can do about it, but it's a valid point.

Hopefully they will answer your emails, soon :)

2. spurst

spurst Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The future value of our devices also has me concerned. One of the emails already stated that waiting will increase our costs, but MSI hasn't given any clarification to describe what that really means for cost. My 980m SLI is enough for right now, and there aren't many AAA titles out that are forcing me over to Pascal.

I was also considering the trade-in to preserve value for the next gen. For me to even justify a trade-in, it has to be some form of 1080. Dual 1080's might be justifiable at the right price, but I can't even justify the dual power bricks for the 1070 SLI.

MiSJAH and hmscott like this.
  3. Neo79

Neo79 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well I got an offer which looks good, I mostly just loose 16Gm of memory and 256Gb of SSD.
    Not That I`m botherd, can always upgrade and getting a 32GB mem system was silly anyway.
    I never sued that much memory. What I will miss is the dragon design of my laptop as its the 29th special dragon edition. I love the look and feel of it, sucks I`m going back to the normal MSI design, but I need more power for VR.

Anyway, how do I send my laptop in ?
    I have tried replying to the email but it just bounces back.
    Do I wait for a letter in the post or do I contact MSI.

hmscott likes this.
  4. MiSJAH

MiSJAH Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    When you say the offer looks good, is that in comparison to the cost of buying a new laptop or in comparison to the cost of upgrading an MXM GPU?

briedfox likes this.
  5. spurst

spurst Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If you are based in the USA, please post your current model, the model they are moving you in to and the cost of the upgrade.

I need to compile more data for the spreadsheet.

Thanks.

hmscott and MiSJAH like this.
  6. shin01176

shin01176 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Pretty much unless your HMscott and get special treatment you wait for weeks to a month+ for a reply that isn't a generic response to everyone.

briedfox and MiSJAH like this.
  7. KommandantKavu

KommandantKavu Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    This is exactly right. This was the concern I had originally regarding 'waiting for the next generation', obviously costs fluctuate based on other components beyond the GPU and your depreciating value of current (now 'static' due to their miscalculation) hardware.. so making the claim 'comparable to a GPU upgrade' is a bit .. off.

I'd be spending over $2,000 to get the 1080's in SLI which looking at the way they tier their upgrade section would guarantee my next 'upgrade' path being in the 'highest group'.

I fear waiting months to upgrade would result in a $200-500 price decrease in the worth of my machine with the new CPU's let alone another ~$700-1000-ish for the next gen GPU's..

This also ignores any costs associated with missing OEM components or possible 'repair' or other costs.

I do want to re-ask the question of if this next gen (pascal) IS upgrade-able through the same program.

hmscott likes this.
  8. hmscott

Reputations:
    If you got an offer I would have expected you already received in one of those emails a list of steps or instructions on how to follow through.

We haven't had anyone report the email address as bouncing, maybe double check to see if it's a valid email address format?

Try sending to the original form email address too: usgttradein@msi.com

Here is a recent posted response from MSI that shows the steps to trade-in, look to your emails from MSI to find that same info:
    MSI_Contact.png

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
  9. unpilot

unpilot Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    My machine was valued at $2899.00( I had a GT72s with a GTX980
    I paid $1000.00 to go the GT73VR-4K-200

MiSJAH and hmscott like this.
  10. hmscott

Reputations:
    That's interesting, the one you got is MSRP $3899:

MSI 17.3" 4K/UHD GT73VR Titan Pro 4K-200 Intel Core i7 6820HK (2.70 GHz) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 64 GB Memory 1 TB SSD(PCIE Gen3x4) 1 TB HDD Windows 10 Home 64-Bit G-Sync Gaming Laptop VR Ready
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834154279

There is another 1080 model with an MSRP of $2799, basically a free trade-in for you:

MSI 17.3" 4K/UHD GT73VR Titan Pro 4K-225 Intel Core i7 6th Gen 6820HK (2.70 GHz) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 16 GB Memory 1 TB HDD Windows 10 Home 64-Bit Gaming Laptop
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16834154337

Was there a reason you went with the top $ config?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016