GT72/GT72S and GT80/GT80S Owners GPU Upgrade Discussion

Discussion in 'MSI' started by hmscott, Aug 22, 2016.

1. MiSJAH

MiSJAH Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  2. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    http://www.powernotebooks.com/

"Since 1999, it has been our policy to give our customers the very best service possible. We have always strived to treat our customers like family. As small business owners both Donald and Charlotte have been working 12-16 hours a day, 6 days a week, for over 16 years, and have decided it is time to tone it down. Therefore, it was with the deepest regret, that as of January 12th, PowerNotebooks ceased operations. We want to thank all of our customers who have given us their trust and support over the years.

Since PowerNotebooks will no longer be able to provide tech support and warranty service for our customers, we are very pleased to announce thatHIDevolution.com has agreed to take over providing the best in tech support and warranty service to our PowerNotebooks customers who have purchased PowerPro computers, and Customized ASUS, MSI, Alienware, and Lenovo computers. HIDevolution.com has been in business since 2007 and they have an excellent customer service record that will resemble that of PowerNotebooks.com (see ResellerRatings -> HIDevolution.com). For details on how to get tech support and warranty service for PowerPro computers, and Customized Asus, MSI, Alienware, and Lenovo computers please go to:
    HIDevolution.com - Welcome PowerNotebooks.com Customers

We are also pleased to announce that Donald, and Zoltan who was our Senior Technician and Production Manager at PowerNotebooks.com, have both joined HIDevolution.com as Sales Advisor, and Senior Support Technician respectively. You can reach Donald by phone at 888-666-3418 Ext. 44 or email Donald at Donald@HIDevolution.com or Zoltan at Zoltan@HIDevolution.com, from 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM Pacific Time, Monday through Friday.

We are posting contact information below, for technical support and warranty service, for all Sager laptops, and Non-Customized stock ASUS, MSI, Alienware, and Lenovo laptops.

Sincerely,
    PowerNotebooks.com Customer Service Team

Brand/Product Telephone Technical Support and Warranty Service
    Lenovo 800-957-5838 - (24/7) Lenovo Online Support for all Products
    Sager 800-741-2219 (7:30 AM to 5:30 PM PST Monday through Friday) or email techsupport@sagernotebook.com, or Online Tech Support orRMA Request
    ASUS 888-678-3688 Option 2, then Option 1 - (24/7) ASUS Online support
    MSI 888-447-6564 (5:00 AM to 7:00 PM PST Monday through Friday) MSI Support
    Alienware 800-ALIENWARE (8AM to 12PM CST) Alienware Support"

Probably not, but we really don't know until it ships, we see the new features in action, and can benchmark the performance.

Intel’s Kaby Lake CPU: The Good, the Bad, and the Meh
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/intels-kaby-lake-cpu-good-bad-meh/

Unless you are interested in 4k Netflix :)

Netflix 4K streaming comes to the PC—but it needs Kaby Lake CPU
    You will also need latest version of Windows 10, Edge browser to get 4K video.
    http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016...ing-pc-kaby-lake-cpu-windows-10-edge-browser/

Some Series 200 chipset commentary:

Intel's next 200 series chipsets to bring faster storage and more PCIe lanes
    http://www.pcauthority.com.au/News/442300,intels-next-200-series-chipsets-to-bring-faster-storage-and-more-pcie-lanes.aspx?utm_source=feed&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=PC+&+Tech+Authority+Components+feed

Translated from:
    https://benchlife.info/intel-z270-h270-q270-q250-b250-z170-h170-chipset-11202016/

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2016
  3. KommandantKavu

KommandantKavu Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Oh man, didn't even read their page (doh!), haven't checked them out in a while, they were a semi-local shop too.. Hm, should be interesting considering they don't really exist anymore, but I have all my receipts and e-mail exchanges.. Hopefully it's a non-issue.

hmscott likes this.
  4. spurst

spurst Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Here is what I have so far.

[​IMG]

http://www.ifshtf.com/files/MSI-GT72-GT80-TRADE-PROGRAM.xlsx

Here is the spreadsheet. Feel free to send me the other values for the other trade-in models and I'll get them uploaded to the sheet. There are about 5 missing MSI models, but some were duplicates and I couldn't even tell the differences using the MSI compare tool. If I missed an important model, please send me the 3 digit number code for the model.

This helped me a bit. It looks like I can move from my GT80S-SLI-001 into a GT73VR-017 for $100. This would actually downgrade me (from 980m SLI to 1070 & 256SSD (2x128SSD) to a single 128SSD), and I'd have to pay $100 for the downgrade... This would also be giving up the premium chasis with steelseries mechanical keyboard of the GT80S.

I still can't help but feel like they are about $200 off on the trade-in prices for my specific model given the above example. Hopefully other models have more favorable pricing.

Hopefully this helps?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
    hmscott likes this.
  5. hmscott

Reputations:
    Here is what MSI sent me, as a screenshot instead of the text list I posted earlier:
    MSI USA Trade-in Team GT Pascal Laptop MSRP.JPG

Double check against this, if there is one you don't have you can add it to yours, if you found one that MSI didn't list that would be interesting too.

Send your findings to MSI USA Trade-in Team, let them know at the top it's from NBR - include the URL to your post here, and let us know what they say to your questions. :vbthumbsup:

Ask them to send you a list of the laptop models allowed for trade-in with their MSRP and / or Trade-in Value valid through Dec 31, 2016. Then you have what you need to fill out the Excel functions to give a quick lookup for trade-ins :hi:

Thanks!

6. spurst

Reputations:
    I actually started building it off your list and the list they sent me since i asked for prices for about 7 different models, so it should have everything from your list. There was one number I didn't find from your list - it was a digit off. The GT72VR Dominator-255 is actually -254. Either that, or MSI simply neglected to include it on the MSI website and instead included the -254 which is the exact same MSRP.

I haven't had any replies from them in about 2 weeks. I sent a counter-offer (actually 2) to Ming early on, and I'm sure that got me dropped from the friendly reply list. Prior to that, they were emailing me back daily.

briedfox and hmscott like this.
  7. hmscott

Reputations:
    On the topic of the "downgrade", as it turns out the GT73 w/single 1070 performs almost at the full OC speed of my GT80 SLI-263:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...cussions-lounge.794968/page-143#post-10408041

And, a single 1080 just above my top OC score for graphics score:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...cussions-lounge.794968/page-143#post-10408107

And, you only need to carry 1 power supply, vs 2 x 230w for the 1070 SLI, or the 2 x 330w for the 1080 SLI GT83VR.

I think the sweet spot right now is the GT73VR + single 1070, but the GT73VR 1080 single is still worth the extra if you must drive some games higher in performance.

The GT83VR is awesome, but the 2 x 330w PSU's + coupler box is just a bit too much to carry around every day, I'd happily do it, but it would be noticed ;)

That model naming discrepency would be a good question to resolve with them.

I appreciate you picking up some of the load, and it's not a bad idea to have more people getting regular access / answers to MSI USA Trade-in Team.

I'm not saying that's gonna happen, as they are overloaded and have left me hanging for periods of time as well, but it's worth a try.

I don't think you got dropped, I think the representative can't directly approve a price offer, they have to run it back to their management.

Maybe hold off asking about that in this interaction, but be sure and pick it up again - nicely - in your last reply email :)

And, that's also a helpful note to others, when you have MSI on a rapid email exchange, try to keep it going with positive questions they can answer, and leave the $offer$ email until near the last if they need to have their own email interaction with their management.

I would follow up with another email after a few days, and a few days after that until I got an answer to the offer

Have you sent anything in the last 2 weeks?

If not this other interaction where you are from NBR and building an Excel spreadsheet to help owners do the trade-in calculations is a good ice breaker to get back in communications.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2016
  8. spurst

Reputations:
    I've sent a couple of followups and an additional offer. No replies from MSI. It was all going well until I sent a counter-offer. Never received a, "let me see what I can do" or anything. Just POOF. Gone.

The GT73VR Titan is still a downgrade for me, because I really like the 18.4" display and the full mechanical keyboard. They were pretty much the main selling point for this GT80S laptop (as well as the overall performance). If I move into a GT73VR, I'll be going back to being tethered to a mechanical keyboard.

I've even gone so far as to ask about a SINGLE 1070 or 1080 for the GT83VR and they indicated that was also not an option.

9. hmscott

Reputations:
    Yeah, single GPU GT80's were out for a while, but when the owners asked about a 2nd GPU for a SLI upgrade, MSI told them they weren't doing any upgrades within the same generation GPU. No 980m => 980 either.

@ryzeki likes his 17.3" 120hz G-sync GT73VR screen (TN) over the GT80 18.4", better color and better contrast, his posts about it are in the GT73VR thread and even here too, search around:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...rade-discussion.795236/page-336#post-10401643

The mechanical keyboard in the GT80 is nice, unique, but I use external keyboards at home and on the road, so it's not such a loss to me.

There was talk of a low profile mechanical keyboard making it into the GT73, but not this generation, maybe the next :)

IDK what to say about the lack of response from MSI USA on an offer like that. Be patient and keep reminding them to get back to you with a counter offer or at least a response to let you know where they are in the process.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
  10. spurst

Reputations:
    I sent the email off to Ming and USGTTRADEIN - also linked back to my post and the spreadsheet. Hopefully they reply.

If the GT73VR had low profile mechanical keys it would be less of an issue. I'm not totally opposed to a GT73VR, but getting into the current GT73VR would be like going back to a typical gaming laptop instead of something more unique like the GT80 series.

I still feel like my offers from MSI are about $200 off on the GT73VR Trades and about $400-500 off on the GT83VR Trades given the current pricing, sales, etc. The worst part is that most of the laptops are currently on sale with anywhere from $200-$600 off MSRP.

If I could get into the GT73VR-202 for $800 (or GT73VR-003 for $500), I'd be ok with it. Plus I'd still have to buy a Blue Ray drive. I couldn't even justify spending any $ on moving to a 1070 given that I already have a 980m SLI.