GT72/GT72S and GT80/GT80S Owners GPU Upgrade Discussion

Discussion in 'MSI' started by hmscott, Aug 22, 2016.

1. MiSJAH

MiSJAH Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    What laptop do you have at present?

If it's a GT72, I'd reply asking MSI why they are offering the GT72VR as an upgrade when it has fewer physical features than your existing notebook. Than explain that you would consider paying the upgrade price for the GT72VR w/GTX 1070 to upgrade to a laptop with the same physical feature set, ie, the GT73VR w/GTX 1070. After all MSI's upgrade program said that the upgrade woulkd cost no more than solely upgrading the GPU, and the new machine would match the existing components/features of your original machine (ie, mux and raid).

briedfox likes this.
  2. MiSJAH

MiSJAH Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Actually, they just need to do as the stated, provide this at the cost of the GPU upgrade. Not try and go back on what they said. (We know how that turned out last time).

briedfox likes this.
  3. woolfman72

woolfman72 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    this is most likely why they have not gotten back to me yet because when i got the first reply i specifically asked those questions. Exactly how do they think that the GT72VR is comparable to the GT72s. The answer is it is not and why should i have pay more to get the same features that my current laptop has. K cpu (higher clock rate also) more than one M.2 slot and the mux switch (which for me is not as important as the other two )

briedfox and MiSJAH like this.
  4. MiSJAH

MiSJAH Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I want to upgrade from my GT72 2QE, i7-4720HQ - 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz - GTX 980M - 128GB SuperRAID option + 1000GB HDD to a GT73VR with I7 - 8GB RAM - GTX 1070 - 128GB SSD raid option - 1TB HDD for the cost of the upgrade - $700 (£560).

But alas, MSI has outright lied.

briedfox likes this.
  5. KommandantKavu

KommandantKavu Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Mine is currently a MSI GT80 Titan SLI-009

Main Specs are as follows:
    Feb 2015 Model
    Dual nVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M (SLI)
    Intel Core i7-4980HQ Processor
    32GB (4x8GB) DDR3
    512GB (2x 256GB) M.2 SATA SSD
    1TB SATA
    Mechanical Keyboard

The RAM and SSD were upgraded by the reseller (the reseller was PowerNotebooks, not one of their listed 'Authorized' Resellers - curious to see what this will mean):

Original: 24 GB Memory (3x8GB) DDR3L/1600
    Upgrade: 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3L/1600 Dual Channel Memory
    Original: 256 GB SSD (2x 128GB) M.2 SATA SSD in SUPER RAID 0
    Upgrade: 512GB (2x 256GB) M.2 SATA SSD in SUPER RAID 0

hmscott and MiSJAH like this.
  6. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    2 important distinct updates to answer questions posed by NBR Owners :)

1) Kabylake update coming soon, so the trade-in charts will change, some models won't be available when that happens, new models will replace them.

It sounds like MSI USA Trade-in Team is trying to suggest pricing for the new models will go up... probably a good hint to take to heart.

2) The inspection is basically to make sure all the original parts are there, or an equivalent in size/spec. You don't need to worry if something failed along the way - you probably could / should have had it repaired under warranty already - but the trade-in lets you do it "all in one shot".

No extra charges unless you pulled an original component, sold it, replaced it with something else and want to keep it for some reason.

You need to weigh the cost of the original part against your new one and decide which to do - keep the old better part(s) and get charged for the missing original parts, or send in the old better parts with the laptop and get new ones as part of the new laptop.

Thanks for pointing out the detail changes :)

I don't recall someone with a re-marketed GT model going in for a trade-in.

When you submitted the trade-in form, did you put the MSI name/model or the Cyberpower one?

You might want to ask specifically about the support for trade-in of a Cyberpower version of the MSI GT80, before you spend $ on shipping.

MSI should just accept it as is - stock vs as was shipped to you - with customizations / upgrades.

One thing I did verify, MSI won't trade the MSI whitebox 16L13 as part of the trade-in program.

Please let us know how it works out :)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2016
  7. MiSJAH

MiSJAH Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Still no feedback about any of the issues I've raised that affect MSI users in the USA, or are you now only asking MSI questions that are pro MSI?

@hmscott if you have any integrity put forwards the points others and I have raised about the cost of the trade in not being 'solely the cost of upgrading the GPU' and GT72 owners being offered a downgrade to a GT72VR and then charged additionally to upgrade to the GT73VR, when the GT73VR is the most similar in bare features set to the GT72.

briedfox likes this.
  8. KommandantKavu

Reputations:
    Confused. This model was available through NewEgg, Amazon, and it used to have it's own page within the GT80 2QE area.. Why are you saying it's 're-marketed GT'? (see: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152706 & https://www.amazon.com/MSI-GT80-TITAN-SLI-009-18-4-Inch/dp/B00SB7HYU8 -- The MSI support page for the laptop shows as 'page not here' now.)

Not Cyberpower, powernotebooks? I don't think they're related.

Dunno what I whitebox 16L13 is either. -- I will see what they say about the upgrades/customizations.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
  9. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Oops, CyberpowerPC was from another thread :)

Powernotebooks is just a sad story, but I assume it's a straight from MSI GT80 then.

So no worries for you :)

I am interested in how MSI will treat the re-marked GT laptops through places like CyberPowerPC - Fangbook 4 for example.

10. KommandantKavu

Reputations:
    Any thoughts on if one should wait on Kabylake?

Sad story?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2016
    hmscott likes this.