GT72/GT72S and GT80/GT80S Owners GPU Upgrade Discussion

Discussion in 'MSI' started by hmscott, Aug 22, 2016.

1. ryzeki

ryzeki Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Reps would only get unnecessarily attacked. They do participate here and are helping (I am working with them relaying all new users that ask for the program on their respective countries) and they do send info to HQ, but it is best for them to only post when they have concise and definitive information, otherwise it goes wrong.

I believe GT83 does run on 8x for each GPU.

My take is that most of the older stuff is going to be used as repair spare parts. newer stuff can be used to replace still current notebooks on the market. Other parts can be re-used as raw materials.

They can probably resell stuff that is not too old and in good shape, refurbish them.

Doesn't really matter. They don't need our old devices. You can completely opt out of any upgrade program, sell your laptop on your own, get a different one. For all we know, they end up just piling them in a storage room in the shape of their logo.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2016
    Dannemand, ALLurGroceries and hmscott like this.
  2. MiSJAH

MiSJAH Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Unnecessarily? Well as a representative of a company that has misled their customers, then lied when announcing a solution to the issue. As a representative you are the customer facing employee of the business. I worked in tech sales, if there was an issue with a product or service we bore that as representatives, allowing a customer to speak for us would be considered unprofessional.

Markafano, tiliarou and briedfox like this.
  3. ryzeki

ryzeki Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Unnecessarily for the rules and order of this forum. No matter the cause, rudeness and angry behaviour is not needed in order to argue or present a case or to discuss any subject.

Not all owners will be able to conduct themselves and instead of being able to help, would end up stirring users.

Community managers do know when it is best to help without causing a ruckus, and to be honest as a moderator, it would be very difficult to do my job if everyone suddenly flipped. I am impartial and my job is to help have a positive environment, helping ensure forum rules and behavior.

Some users just take current issues to a personal extent that would not allow their case.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

4. Q937

Q937 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    There are 16 lanes directly to the CPU and 20 to the PCH, which is connected to the CPU via DMI 3.0 @3.93GB/s. The 16 CPU lanes are taken by the GPUs, and the rest are dedicated to all other I/O.

5. tjg_marantz

tjg_marantz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Unless you're in Canada... You still go through the U.S. But you have one option now and no second option later. I'll post their reply later tonight and maybe someone will correct me.

hmscott likes this.
  6. KommandantKavu

KommandantKavu Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello again Gents, I have received my e-mail!
    Check it out below, they've added some additional details I haven't seen in other exchanges between users here.
    (Edit: The additional 'details' do not pertain to price or upgrade options, just some disclaimers and notes provided by MSI.)

(Sorry, I won't be responding to that previous thread, seemed a bit petty to keep going back and forth about nothing really.. Wasn't really providing us any value as a community of concerned users)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
    hmscott likes this.
  7. woolfman72

woolfman72 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That is just the generic email most of us have received already. Just updated a little versus the one i originally got back on 10/14

hmscott likes this.
  8. KommandantKavu

KommandantKavu Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ok.. Well, the 'updated a little' was what I was noting as there are a few disclaimers and additional comments made here that I did not see before. -- I said I would inform others of my exchange process, no need to be a killjoy. :)

One particular note that I was curious about:
    "However, the upgrade cost may increase if you wait too long and our current models are discontinued for newer models that may be of higher in price." -- "You may choose to skip the current GTX 10 series trade-in program and wait for the GTX 11 series trade-in program, but do so at your own discretion because we will not know of any details about the GTX 11 series trade-in program until the GTX 11 series GPUs are actually released."

Also, I'll be curious to dive into this:
    "
    The inspection process is mainly to check that all OEM parts are present and functional. Normal wear-and-tear cosmetic damages of the laptop will not negatively impact the evaluation. If there are missing parts, you will be subjected to the retail charge of the missing parts.

Please remember to includes all of the Laptop Original OEM parts. Such as SSD, Ram, Hard drive, cables, etc. Any missing parts will be subject to a full retail price charge. Any OEM defects will not be subject for charge due to warranty coverage."

hmscott likes this.
  9. spurst

spurst Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So they are going to devalue the trade-in's as the GT72 and GT80 line age, which also clearly indicates that we are not paying the cost of a GPU upgrade, since the age the machine would have zero bearing on buying only a GPU upgrade.

They really need to go through all of the material they have released and specify EXACTLY what they mean. The email clearly states, "1. Each upgrade cost is the same as if you were to only upgrade the GPU."

MiSJAH and briedfox like this.
  10. AirTortoise

AirTortoise Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    FedEx delivered my GT73 this morning rather than Monday. So far I'm really impressed, it benches within 10% of my desktop 6700k/GTX 1080. And I'm especially glad I got rid of that furnace that was Haswell. I realize the trade in program isn't what a lot of you are looking for and I hope you're all able to get MSI to work with you to your satisfaction.

Thanks a lot to all the members that started this thread and got the ball rolling with MSI to get this program started, I really appreciate it!!!

ryzeki likes this.