GT72/GT72S and GT80/GT80S Owners GPU Upgrade Discussion

Discussion in 'MSI' started by hmscott, Aug 22, 2016.

1. MiSJAH

MiSJAH Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    So this is what MSI UK Notebook published on 30th November at 16:35:

So the bolded text is a straight out lie.

Edit: No one proof reads at MSI, even the terms and conditions.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
    briedfox likes this.
  2. Markafano

Markafano Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I am asking that if you have evidence as to what they are doing then please share, enlighten me, because at the moment all I can see is a company operating in a less than open and highly inefficient manner.

All you have been doing is stating that I have absolutely no grounds whatsosever for any thought as to why the whole thing is taking so long and then when they do finally come up with an offer it is unacceptable.

Yes I think that one of the reasons is maybe because they are wanting to absolve responsibility in some manner, as already stated though this is conspiracy theory as by definition I have no proof IT IS JUST A THEORY, based purely on circumstancial evidence.

What other reasoning can any sane person come to?

IIRC MSI UK stated that they would inform everyone by the end of September early October, it had to be by then as the original date for being part of the upgrade closed at the end of October. I understand that they informed some people and the response that they got was very negative so they went back to MSI HQ we were then told that we would receive a new offer closer in pricing to the US offer, and this would be by the end of October, this of course took longer than anticipated but what happened? we got a near identical offer to the original, why?

Now I was not privy to the original MSI UK offer so I am only going by comments made here on this forum.

So you think that waiting from early September to almost the middle of December for any form of response or acknowledgement is acceptable? I don't think that it is.

Also you think that everything has been done above board, no secerecy, as efficiently as possible? MSI contacting everyone who has registered with them with a nice shiny web page from day one apologising with them saying that they mucked up and of course there is that nice long thread on the MSI forum website where we can post all our comments.

And the only cost involved to me in the upgrade program is the cost of the GPU, less the cost of me selling my old GPU on.

I knew that there was going to be a cost associated with this, I accepted that, what I do not accept is having to pay for someone elses mistake because they mucked up and being taken for a ride through a failed ability to deliver their promises that they advertised and made a selling point out of.

The bottom line is that I would not have bought this laptop if there was no way of it being upgraded, this was the only reason for purchasing it.

Instead I would have upgraded my desktop saved a few quid, sold my sons laptop that is also an MSI that should have been able to partake in the fabled MXM upgrade and bought him a new laptop with the money saved and obtained from the sale of his laptop.

That email I received this morning.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2016
    briedfox and MiSJAH like this.
  3. MiSJAH

MiSJAH Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm still waiting for mine. While I wait I am composing an email to the following;

• Dimensional Fund Advisors LP
    • Robeco Institutional Asset Management BV
    • The Vanguard Group, Inc.
    • Norges Bank Investment Management
    • Yuanta Securities Investment Trust Co., Ltd.
    • Quoniam Asset Management GmbH
    • Mellon Capital Management Corp.
    • Jih Sun Securities Investment Trust Co., Ltd.
    • Capital Investment Trust Corp.
    • SSgA Funds Management, Inc
    These are MSI institutional shareholders, I am planning on making them aware of the situation.

This thread has ~200,000 views, my thread on OcUK has ~10,000 views. I wonder if they care how many lost sales this scam will cause? It's pretty obvious MSI as business don't care about it's customers, I wonder if they care about their investors.

briedfox likes this.
  4. c0rsa1r

c0rsa1r Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for your inquiry.
    The Trade-in program in offering now in UK and the deadline of the inquiry will be on 31st Dec.
    Basically we will have a discount amount based on the value of your on-hand machine then you will be able to use that discount on the new GTX 10 series GT model you choose.
    The value of your laptop will be determined by the SRP at launch and the age of your notebook. You will be able to use this to trade up to selected MSI Notebooks featuring Nvidia GTX 1060 / GTX 1070 / GTX 1080.

According to the data you provided to us, your discount amount will be £910 based on 2 evaluations as follows:
    1. The original launch price of your on-hand machine GT72 6QD-048UK is £1,299
    2. Your invoice date is 26/05/2016, we can accept the machine as long as it’s within 2years warranty.

You will be able to use discount for new GTX 10xx series GT series models. Here is the model list you can choose, but please be noted that the stocks are moving every day, some models might be out of stocks time by time.

SLI GTX 1080, 8GB GDDR5X IPS/ i7-6820HK/ 32GB/ SR-512+1TB GT83VR 6RF(Titan SLI)-072UK 9S7-181512-072 £ 3,799.00
    SLI GTX 1070, 8GB GDDR5 IPS/ i7-6820HK/ 32GB/ SR-256+1TB GT83VR 6RE(Titan SLI)-013UK 9S7-181512-013 £ 3,099.00
    SLI GTX 1070, 8GB GDDR5 4K/ i7-6820HK/ 32GB/ SR-512+1TB GT73VR 6RE(Titan SLI 4K)-064UK 9S7-17A111-064 £ 3,099.00
    GTX 1080, 8GB GDDR5X 120HZ/i7-6820HK/ 32GB/ SR-512+1TB GT73VR 6RF(Titan Pro)-035UK 9S7-17A111-035 £ 2,699.00
    GTX 1080, 8GB GDDR5X 120HZ/ i7/ 16GB/ 256+2TB GT73VR 6RF(Titan Pro)-241UK 9S7-17A111-241 £ 2,599.00
    GTX 1080, 8GB GDDR5X 120HZ/i7-6820HK/ 16GB/ 256+1TB GT73VR 6RF(Titan Pro)-220UK 9S7-17A111-220 £ 2,499.00
    GTX 1080, 8GB GDDR5X 120HZ/ i7/ 16GB/ 128+2TB GT73VR 6RF(Titan Pro)-240UK 9S7-17A111-240 £ 2,499.00
    GTX 1070, 8GB GDDR5 IPS/ i7/16GB/256+1TB GT72VR 6RE(Dominator Pro)-040UK 9S7-178511-040 £ 2,099.00
    GTX 1070, 8GB GDDR5 IPS/ i7/ 16GB/ 128+2TB GT72VR 6RE(Dominator Pro)-249UK 9S7-178511-249 £ 1,999.00
    GTX 1070, 8GB GDDR5 IPS/ i7/ 8GB/ 256+1TB GT72VR 6RE(Dominator Pro)-233UK 9S7-178511-233 £ 1,999.00
    GTX 1070, 8GB GDDR5 4K/ i7/ 16GB/ 1+1 GT62VR 6RE(Dominator Pro 4K)-076UK 9S7-16L221-076 £ 1,999.00
    GTX 1070, 8GB GDDR5 IPS/ i7/16GB/1+1 GT72VR 6RE(Dominator Pro)-234UK 9S7-178511-234 £ 1,899.00
    GTX 1060, 6GB GDDR5 IPS/ i7/16GB/256+1TB GT72VR 6RD(Dominator)-037UK 9S7-178511-037 £ 1,799.00

Please read our Terms and Conditions here:
    1) This offer is valid ONLY for UK models. Please make sure the model number of your laptop ends with ”UK” Example ” GS60 6QE(Ghost Pro)-093UK”
    2) The MSI notebook warranty is NOT transferrable. Only the original owner of the laptop will be able to participate in the trade-in program. The laptop will have to be within its 2 years warranty.
    3) Acceptable forms of payment are bank transfer.
    4) We accept no responsibility for loss of data and advise you back up any important files before participating.
    5) Once your trade-in is received by us, please allow up to 14 working days for inspection to ensure all OEM parts are present from receiving the unit and that the unit is in satisfactory condition (no physical damage to parts or laptop).
    6) Please remember to include all of the laptop OEM parts, including but not limited to SSD, RAM, HDD, cables, power supply etc. Any missing parts will be subject to a full retail price charge. Any OEM defects will not be subject to a charge due to warranty coverage.
    7) Once inspection has been completed, we will inform you of the final upgrade price so that you may decide to participate in or withdraw from the trade-in program.
    8) MSI are responsible for collecting the trade-in unit & shipping to our support centre. Please make sure the unit adequately packaged for transit. MSI will not accept responsibility for units that arrive damaged due to insufficient packaging. MSI will be responsible to pay for the shipping the new unit to you.
    9) Once you accept the offer of the upgrade program, you will have 2 weeks to arrange the collection. After this period, the offer will no longer be valid.
    10) No alternative or cash will be offered. All MSI offers are final.
    11) No further trade in program will be offered at a later date.

We will send you the official agreement to sign then start the following steps once you choose the model and agreed statements above.

Thanks you for your patience.
    Have a nice day
    MSI UK Notebook

Previously I asked the retailer about a compensation or trade-in and this was the response:

Good Afternoon,

Thank you for your email.

I am sorry we do not offer a trade in program so this is something we can not offer.

5. Markafano

Reputations:
    Not sure if the picture I added came out OK, those are the same pricings I was given. When I get a chance I'll look at my sons emails to see if he has received an offer from MSI as well, I think he has the same laptop as you c0rsa1r, however we bought it a while ago, I think two years ago October so will be interesting to see what they say about it.

c0rsa1r, talk to Citizens Advice Bureau, check out your legal rights, your contract is with the reatailer/seller, not the manufacturer.
    If they refuse they have to have some form of dispute process which you can go through, this is a legal requirement for all online companiesto be able to provide this.

MiSJAH likes this.
  6. KommandantKavu

KommandantKavu Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    This is one big argument from incredulity.. And I'm not making a claim, so why do I have to give you 'evidence' of anything?.. This is logic 101.. I don't 'believe' what you're saying and I'm responding to the things your putting forward.. I don't have to 'prove' my disbelief.. So we're at an impasse.

And you're right, I have been stating that you have no grounds for making any kind of evidenced claim. Per Hanlon's Razor, I think I've explained this already and am talking in circles. -- I'm addressing your points, not attacking you personally, and I disagree with the conspiracy sentiment.. I've done 'more' than just address your one point, but I digress..

You can claim they're inefficient, that it's slow, and that their offer isn't what you want.. None of that bolsters the theory.. I won't talk to the specifics further, you can keep hammering the details of how long it's taken, what offers there are, how you don't like how it's being handled.. I'm not invalidating those complaints, but you can't use those to claim they're secretly acting in some nefarious way..

Do I think waiting for a long period of time to get a response is 'acceptable'? Me personally? No I don't.. I don't think I made such a claim either.. Not sure why it's being brought up..

Not sure what you meant to say here.. Could you explain? What's the 'secrecy' you're referring to? -- (I think this is a non-native language mistake in grammar? Or you're just typing quickly?)

I'm not following this either.. -- I don't recall them sending anything out to anyone directly, which is something I would expect them to do ASAP and anticipate that they will try to do.. but maybe not.

I pretty much agree with everything here thru..

7. MiSJAH

MiSJAH Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @c0rsa1r you have: MSI GT72 6QD(Dominator G)-048UK 17.3" Intel Core i7-6700HQ, 16 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD, 128 GB SSD, DVDSM, Nvidia GTX970M with GSYNC, Windows 10?

So a GT72VR is a downgrade, less features. Not acceptable.

The MSI GT73VR 6RF(Titan Pro)-219UK is the closest with the GTX 1070 and has an SRP of £2,999.

So MSI expect you to pay £1,589 to upgrade your GPU to nearest available machine.

I wonder which previous MXM upgrades that compares in cost to?

I would recommend emailing MSI back, stating the feature loss of downgrading to the GT72VR is not acceptable, as you use the ssd raid facility to ensure the safety of your data and the mux switch when you are on the road away from a socket.

Ask them then to provide prices as they announced that are 'comparable to previous MXM upgrades' to a GT73VR with GTX 1070, I7, 16GB RAM, 1TB HDD and 128GB SDD (like you existing machine has).

Good luck.

briedfox likes this.
  8. Markafano

Reputations:
    I don't have the time for this, I never said I made an evidenced claim I said all along that it was a theory, you said I was sprouting nonsense all I asked was what was your reasoning and if possible provide evidence or come up with your own thoughts as to why it is taking so long, if you think the timeframes are acceptable then fair enough we will just have to disagree on that. As to me sprouting nonsense, yes maybe I am adding 1 and 1 and getting 3 but why all the unnecessary delay?

Or let me guess there is no delay everything is going really smoothly?

Secrecy as in not being open, withholding information, did MSI volunteer information or try and sweep the whole thing under the carpet?

OK so I ask you then what is the aim of carrying out the following? not publishing the upgrade information on their website, limiting the trade-in to within specific timeframes not notifying people who have registered with them.

briedfox likes this.
  9. MiSJAH

MiSJAH Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    All of this is true. Neil at MSI refused to provide information requested. MSI took down videos demonstrating how to upgrade your GPU. There are lies in the emails they have sent out that we are all witness to.

There is no argument that MSI Insists on Perfection of User Experience.

briedfox and Markafano like this.
  10. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    As requested, MSI USA sent an MSRP table for the new Pascal GT models that can be upgraded to through the trade-in program.

"Hi Scott,

I can give you chart with the MSRP and Offered model for the trade it. But I cannot give a complete table of the user’s laptop and their upgrade cost. There will over 30 different price charts for it.

Model Name MSRP

GT83VR TITAN SLI-024 $4,999 GTX 1080 SLI

GT83VR TITAN SLI-023 $3,999 GTX 1070 SLI

GT83VR TITAN SLI-055 $3,499

GT73VR Titan Pro-201 $3,599 GTX 1080

GT73VR Titan Pro 4K-200 $3,899

GT73VR TITAN PRO-003 $2,799

GT73VR TITAN SLI-058 $3,499 GTX 1070 SLI

GT73VR Titan SLI-212 $2,999

GT73VR TITAN 4K-226 $2,399 GTX 1070

GT73VR TITAN-017 $2,199

GT72VR Tobii-031 $2,599

GT72VR Dominator Pro-257 $1,999

GT72VR Dominator-032 $1,999 GTX 1060

GT72VR Dominator-033 $1,799

GT72VR Dominator-063 $1,599

GT72VR Dominator-255 $1,649

This is for US Only."

New MSI USA Trade-in Team info updated on webpage:
    http://event.msicomputer.com/usagttradein/

Updated form linked on that webpage:
    http://event.msicomputer.com/download/MSI GT Trade In Upgrade Program 1231.pdf

"Hi Scott,

HQ has updated the Form with the new Deadline. I have attached it for your reference, it will be add on to the webpage with the trade-in Announcement.

Thanks!"