GT72/GT72S and GT80/GT80S Owners GPU Upgrade Discussion

Discussion in 'MSI' started by hmscott, Aug 22, 2016.

1. spurst

spurst Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Can you please detail your explanation?
    The offer MSI initially sent via email is:
    GT80 970m's > to > GT83 1070 = 1800
    GT80 980m's > to > GT83 1070 = 1400
    I did a followup directly and they updated me with
    GT83 1070's > to > GT83 1080 = 1500 additional for a total of $2900.

Who were you dealing with from MSI? If I can upgrade to the 1080's for $2400, I will take that option and be satisfied. I am highly unhappy with $2900, as the extra $500 is an insult.

Jermzz, where are you getting that your GT80 with 980m's is worth only $1500? The SLI 980m model is consistently selling for 2000+ on eBay. Generally the crazy low price versions are either 0 feedback scammers from out of country, or 965m models. An SLI-002 sold on the 28th for $2428.99.

MiSJAH likes this.
  2. Jermzz

Jermzz Notebook Geek

Reputations:

I'm not really sure I can explain it any other way. I'm attaching pictures of my offers to help you. The first was the original offer, as you can see it clearly says 970m SLI to 1070sli is 1800 plus an additional 1500 to go to 1080s. I sent them an email correcting their mistake asking for a new pricing schema reflecting my specific laptop (SLI-002) and was replied an hour later with the second offer.

I wonder if the 1000 is a typo. Lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As for eBay I looked last month and saw a couple sell for 1700. I just assumed that's all they were worth after this fiasco. I will check again. Thanks for the heads up.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
    hmscott likes this.
  3. spurst

Reputations:
    Here is the exact quote i have from them.

"You may upgrade your choice to the GT83VR TITAN SLI-024 by adding additional $1500 to the base cost of $1400, total would be $2900."

Either you have a different offer, or they screwed up your math.

hmscott and MiSJAH like this.
  4. Jermzz

Jermzz Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I can't understand why I would have a different offer. I'm assuming when I take the offer and cross ship the laptop they will refund me the incorrect amount.

hmscott and MiSJAH like this.
  5. spurst

Reputations:
    I dont know but i would get this in writing and verify it before you are charged. I would also like to work with your sales rep if you have the right offer, because i would be willing to take the same offer they sent you. I am not willing to take it at $2900 though.

hmscott likes this.
  6. shin01176

shin01176 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    You have a different offer as you have an SLI-002 and he has an SLI-001. 002 has newer CPU, DDR4 instead of DDR3L and more of it. Pretty much 002 is "less" of a jump to the GT83 and sadly i've got a 001 also so i'll probally have the higher price.

hmscott and Jermzz like this.
  7. Jermzz

Jermzz Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I'm dealing with Ming Rong.

I wonder if the offer differs considering our model differences. GT80-sli001 vs gt80s-sli002. Have they ever mentioned an upgrade price difference between the 80 and the 80s? I know that when I messaged them that one of my big concerns was that people with older hardware that are still running SLI 980s were getting the same deal as someone like me who has already paid for skylake, m.2, ddr4, etc. Technically you're getting a total overhaul where as I'm just getting new cards and a better screen. This is the only way I can rationalize the price difference.

8. spurst

Reputations:
    Given that we both have an identical offer from GT80 with 980 SLI > to > GT83VR 1070 SLI = $1400 there should be no difference. It also does not specify anywhere on the grid about GPU / Memory pricing. I took this as them basing the trades off of MSRP, since they have given us nothing else to go with.

That being said, if your cost to go to 980m SLI to 1070 SLI is the same, I would only imagine your cost to go to 1080 would also be the same.

The irony here is that I am also dealing with Ming who hasn't replied to my emails in about 10 days.

9. Jermzz

Jermzz Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    You're right, that doesn't make sense. I responded asking how I can make payment. I will see the offer through.

10. shin01176

shin01176 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yes that would make sense if they didn't already Caveat with an email by Micheal Zhu with the following:

"1. The new GTX 10 series laptop that you will receive will contain the equivalent components and specifications of your originally purchased laptop (equivalent CPU/RAM/SSD/HDD etc.)"

This means that while they could baseline all GT80 980m to the SLI 1070, it doesn't mean they need to provide the same upgrade cost path if you wanted to go further. Do I want to pay more money? No but unfortunately they already gave their reasoning if they choose to push the price difference.