GT72/GT72S and GT80/GT80S Owners GPU Upgrade Discussion

Discussion in 'MSI' started by hmscott, Aug 22, 2016.

1. MiSJAH

MiSJAH Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    MSI misleading people about upgradability is not a warranty issue. This issue affects some that purchased new and the warranty has expired.

CARL JONES, tiliarou and briedfox like this.
  2. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    You are confusing the information I was trying to pass along.

AFAIK:

1) MSI Warranty isn't transferable to another person, the original owner is the only one that has the warranty.

2) The MSI trade-in is only usable by the original owner, no other person can trade-in the laptop, only the original owner.

If you are the original owner, and your warranty has already expired, I don't think that affects your trade-in as the original owner.

Again, ask MSI directly to make sure I have this information correct.

MSI can of course change their minds and open up the warranty and trade-in to secondary owners, but don't count on it until MSI tells you directly.

It's worth asking about :)

usgttradein@msi.com

briedfox and MiSJAH like this.
  3. sigmaphi

sigmaphi Newbie

Reputations:
    It even worse in Germany

They want me to pay 1399€

[​IMG]

RandomID, hmscott and tiliarou like this.
  4. MiSJAH

MiSJAH Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I agree, MSI needs to address this as a second owner could have taken part in upgrading their MXM GPU if MSI had stuck to their advertising.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

briedfox likes this.
  5. danVy

danVy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    that's insane!!!! I pay 2899€ for my laptop gt72. now 1399 or 1999? they r sucking all the money they can. this is not a favor to us. this is more comercial strategies.

MiSJAH, RandomID, briedfox and 2 others like this.
  6. tiliarou

tiliarou Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Where is it written that a warranty is not transferable ? The warranty is product dependent as far as I know, not owner dependent.
    Where is it written that the trade-in is only usable by the original owner ? How do you define an "original owner" ?
    As long as you provide a valid invoice for a product that was legally bought, why would the manufacturer not obey the law and respect the owner (original or not) rights ?

7. tiliarou

tiliarou Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    MiSJAH, briedfox and hmscott like this.
  8. sigmaphi

sigmaphi Newbie

Reputations:
    Yes it good but I cannot afford to pay that whole price at this very moment has am going on holiday in January ... Work break

Also they did not even offer me any other option

MiSJAH, briedfox and hmscott like this.
  9. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    When you bought the laptop, you registered that serial number and associated it with a receipt - that's part of the registration. That starts the warranty period.

MSI already knows who the registered owner is and which laptop they own, and they have a copy of your receipt - bill of sale - it's part of the completed registration process.

It's been said that the warranty is only for the original owner, and I can only find one instance where it's explicitly mentioned;

"Accidental Damage Coverage only applies to the original owner and is not transferable."

https://us.msi.com/page/warranty/

But, neither does it say anything about the base warranty being transferable. It only talks about the original owner.

I think you all need to ask MSI directly. And, please ask MSI to include the answers in their "Answers FAQ" :)

usgttradein@msi.com for the owners only trade-in question.

You can open a support ticket with MSI to ask if your laptop warranty is transferable to someone you sell or give the laptop to.

Please come back and let us know what MSI tells you :)

Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
    tiliarou and briedfox like this.
  10. Saintjah

Saintjah Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ya definitely but seems NO one has them except afew retailers. And greedy morons who think they can make a huge flip on ebay. Ive seen afew buy it now acutions listed at 6999.99

MiSJAH and hmscott like this.