GT72/GT72S and GT80/GT80S Owners GPU Upgrade Discussion

Discussion in 'MSI' started by hmscott, Aug 22, 2016.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Here is an answer from another MSI person with clarification on what the "evaluation" on incoming laptops for trade-in really means.
    ----------------------------------------
    Hi Scott,

Not sure where you’re getting your info from, but we ARE giving everyone the same value for their laptops.

It seems that you are under the impression that we are charging people different upgrade costs if one person’s laptop isn’t in as great a condition as someone else’s.

That is not the case.

We are only evaluating the laptops to check normal functionality and that there are no missing components.

Since we are giving people a brand new laptop and not just the MXM GPU, we want to make sure that the laptop we’re getting back from the trade-in is at least in working condition with working parts.

Otherwise someone can just trade in a laptop with missing components such as SSD, HDD, GPU or one that has critical component damages like a fried up motherboard.

If there are simply some wear and tear cosmetic damages on your laptop, then we will accept it the same as someone whose laptop looks brand new.

With that said, we are currently in the stages of contact each person, one by one, about their case. We have quite a lot of submissions so please be patient and bear with us while we get to everyone.
    -----------------------------------------------

2. hmscott

Reputations:
    More answers...
    --------------------------------------------
    Hi Scott,

The Trade-In-Program will be ongoing until further notices. I am pretty sure there will be a deadline or ending to this program somewhere after 2nd generation GPU upgrade. At this moment, I am not sure when will the deadline is.

Yes, different regions have different or similar programs.

I have previously requested to post an Official notices, but it’s ultimately up to HQ to decide to do so. Currently customer that can still use the Expired form to submit their applications, I doubt there will be an updated one as the form will still be the same.

As the Chart, the first eblast is ultimately the best to give to everyone. Because everyone cases is different or unique, it’s hard to make one chart for all different situation. This is why we’re answering case by case due the differences of the laptop. I wish there was simpler and faster way, but there is no shortcut to this. :)
    -------------------------------------

3. hmscott

Reputations:
    Some more info...
    --------------------------------
    Hi Scott,

I’m pretty sure there was a deadline on the form. I doubt they will change the form.

My partner was planning to eblast the entire Q&A, but he was also drowning in his pile of work too.

I have request an official announcement update of the Trade-In-Program, but I guess it was under some pile of paperwork. I’ll try to remind the Management.

Our effort for results will be acknowledged.

Thank you, Scott.
    ---------------------------------
    Thanks Scott! We will also be sending out an email blast soon with answers to a lot of the questions we’ve been getting from everyone.
    ---------------------------------

...that's all for now...

Last edited: Nov 9, 2016
    mason2smart, briedfox and DILLIGAFF like this.
  4. Delme_21

Delme_21 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    That's great news at least. I just wish legal would have included that wording in the emails instead of leaving it so vague initially it's the estimated cost of the laptop after inspection.

5. ryzeki

ryzeki Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Thanks for the info hmscott. The answers are good to hear, seems MSI is doing their part better than what some people imagined.

So it seems as long as the trade in info was submitted, you can wait for a future upgrade then, not necessarily right now.

6. hmscott

Reputations:
    The one good thing is that any owner can still submit the MSI Trade-in Form (link in 1st post).

Even though the form says to submit by Oct 31, 2016, owners can still submit the request how and participate now.

Hopefully MSI will issue a new trade-in form without a time limit - so it's clear that it's an open ended program.

Ignore the Oct 31, 2016 limit stated on the MSI Trade-in form, it's past and not an actual limit as stated by MSI:

"Thank you for respond and understanding. You have reminded me that I have left out one important part of our program. The deadline was set to test the reaction and respond to the program. Anyone that submitted beyond the deadline that was stated on the Form will be honored for the Trade-In-Program. But this is only for US based address customer."

Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
    mason2smart and briedfox like this.
  7. CARL JONES

CARL JONES Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

This is a good start, I'm wondering hmscott have they addressed the second upgrade issue? I need that info. and all of you: It was my understanding that there is a time limit for the upgrade is that true? The upgrade cost IMO is still ridiculous. Join my class action group if you feel the same contact me lawcarlgt80s@gmail.com

8. CARL JONES

CARL JONES Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

Never mind I read it all in the earlier post we are still holding out for a price update. Funny a lot of that stuff is what I had discussed with someone. And I remember the original announcement being a lot different seems they changed their stand.

9. tiliarou

tiliarou Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm happy for you guys in the US ! But for us in Europe, no single reply from MSI ! No information on deadline or anything, no information on the 2nd gen, and the level of reply is super low technically and commercially speaking (that was when they replied in France last month).

mason2smart, hmscott and zziplex like this.
  10. hmscott

Reputations:
    All we can suggest is to keep trying, keep sending questions, keep on interacting with MSI until they do respond :)

It was weeks between first sending questions and getting responses, then communications opened up and we interacted several times in a day.

MSI people are limited by their management as to their interactions with us, remember they are doing their jobs, and want to keep us happy by answering our questions, but they need to wait for permission to do so. :)

Stay positive and give MSI the time they need, and keep giving them the requests for answers that they can take to their management and ask if they can respond to you.

Different regions need to go through different paths, and have started on those paths at different times.

Have patience, keep reading here and other forums for questions and answers from your and other regions, to provide you with material and ideas to use when interacting with MSI in your region.

Please do come back and post here when you do get responses from MSI :)

Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
    twistedmr likes this.