GT72/GT72S and GT80/GT80S Owners GPU Upgrade Discussion

Discussion in 'MSI' started by hmscott, Aug 22, 2016.

1. unpilot

unpilot Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    20161030_105451.jpg 20161030_105505.jpg

zziplex and hmscott like this.
  2. Q937

Q937 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The wire mod is 99% there to deal with a firmware-level artificial check to make sure the card is in an approved system, in which case MSI wouldn't even need to hard-mod their cards.

hmscott and MiSJAH like this.
  3. Talon

Talon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Yes the Clevo systems hat are upgraded are using MSI MXM cards that are modded with that green wire. The Eurocom F5 does not have nor require this mod as the laptop comes from the MSI factory with a stock 1070/60. However it also works with the green wire modded cards.

mason2smart and hmscott like this.
  4. MiSJAH

MiSJAH Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    What's the difference between the F5 with the 1060/1070 and the older one with 970m?

5. Kevin

Kevin Egregious

Reputations:
    Seeing as how 99% of the people who sent in forms are on this very forum, where are the replies? Why would I give MSI's sales team the excuse of "waiting for more forms to be submitted", when they literally haven't made a bit of effort, to spread the news of the program beyond this forum?

Also, the initial email with the offers came weeks later than they originally claimed it would. MSI deserves no benefit of the doubt.

Finally, next time you want to make a commentary on the members of this forum, please exclude the part where you allude to us as being impatient children. You lack the knowledge of these individuals, necessary to accurately make such a condescending remark.

6. shin01176

shin01176 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The reply is basically if you listened to MSI about their upgradable laptop and upgraded it at all and no longer have the exact stock components then you can get fugged. Then if you didn't upgrade at all you need to pretty much pay almost your current laptops worth to upgrade to what they believe is an equivalent upgrade. Oh and that is only if you live in the US and happen to be frequent very specific third party forums.

7. twistedmr

twistedmr Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    99% eh? I'm guessing you are making that number up also?

8. Kevin

Kevin Egregious

Reputations:
    Tell me where else MSI posted or advertised the trade in form. What tech site has carried the story? People can't sign up for that which they do not know.

The answer is that they only put it on NBR. How then, would there be a large number of people outside of NBR signing up?

CARL JONES, MiSJAH and woolfman72 like this.
  9. Q937

Q937 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The fact that this has only been published here on NBR and has a time limit simply reeks of disingenuity and a lack of good faith, especially when they have a database of registered users with associated e-mail addresses and products they own.

10. twistedmr

twistedmr Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    What bothers me is that they are using a forum post on this website to notify people. I agree that everyone who bought one should be offered the trade-in and a deadline is ridiculous. Notifications should be sent out like they do in car recalls. MSI should reach out to all of the 3rd party vendors and have it handled that way. I thought I read that if the trade-in is accepted I'd ship mine to the place I purchased it. That would be Xotic PC. If they are using 3rd party vendors to facilitate the trade-in then they can also have them assist in making their customers aware from the beginning.

hmscott likes this.