GT72/GT72S and GT80/GT80S Owners GPU Upgrade Discussion

Discussion in 'MSI' started by hmscott, Aug 22, 2016.

1. shin01176

shin01176 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well it's turning in to a big Cost vs Risk game on MSI's side. They know they have messed up and are in damage control mode where they are only sending the "trade in program" to forums and not making a direct public announcement. They are hoping that vast majority of owners will never find out about the program and/or not care thus limiting their losses in customers and equipment cost. This is then coupled with the actual trade in cost + whole laptop where some places are getting the customer screwed more on a cost basis and in others on an equipment basis.

Glad I'm not the only one who noticed this. If it comes down to Legal Action which, at this point looks like it is, then this will be a big driving point against MSI in the bit that they made no real effort to inform customers of their products and instead showed intent to hide and conceal what offers they had out via third-party forums and word of mouth.

tiliarou likes this.
  2. Zeroblue

Zeroblue Notebook Geek

Reputations:

Sounds right.

Our best bet at this point is to continue forth with the legal action. Based on the treatment we've seen so far, we have no guarantee in hell that their final solution will be anything reasonable that we can accept. The legal pressure from our side needs to continue to show that this issue isn't just going to slide under the rug.

mason2smart and MiSJAH like this.
  3. Delme_21

Delme_21 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So is there any concrete legal action being put together? I think there was a guy earlier asking for emails but haven't seen anything here come of it.

MiSJAH and mason2smart like this.
  4. JBarrtndrsr

JBarrtndrsr Newbie

Reputations:
    I would question how these companies are upgrading their laptops to MXM. I imagine that the kits to upgrade to the pascal are redesigned for the desktop variant versus the M variants. An engineer spoke out on this forum quite a few pages ago and referenced the fact that all of this is, in fact, possible. MSI would simply need to redesign the heat sinks and piping to maximize heat transfer. Why? Only MSI can answer this. Perhaps they are seeing what the future will bring and took the leap forward while other companies will face this similar issue in the future? Who Knows. I hate how they make themselves look very deceptive, but the truth is, as a company, they would not leave their customers of the best computers out to dry. I just do not believe this to be the case. As a business they will however reduce whatever overhead they produce to the utmost, even if perceptually we feel we are being screwed. It is the emotional crowd that is creating this atmosphere and MSI is feeding that fire surely.

5. twistedmr

twistedmr Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    An internet engineer posted something. Show me a video, uncut that proves what he said. Until then I'm an Astronaut / billionaire that works at 7-11

invertedsilence, tiliarou and Talon like this.
  6. Delme_21

Delme_21 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Except this is not our perception we are getting a bad deal but we can prove we are getting a bad deal based on the facts that MSI has proposed to us end users. It actually leaves us with going from a top-tier laptop with a mid-tier laptop. The CPU, HDD/SSD, chipset, and other features are all downgraded for most of us who bought GT72 series laptops. That's not opinion or inflammatory statements, it's just plain and simple facts that we have on hand.

7. Talon

Talon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The laptop referenced in this video is produced by MSI and simply rebranded and sold by Eurocom. It's an MSI whitebook/barebones and has not been upgraded in any way from the factory. These "Tornado F5" laptops come stock from the MSI factory with MXM gtx 1060 and 1070 GPUs.

invertedsilence likes this.
  8. thegreatsquare

thegreatsquare Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    1: If MSI is going off of only who contacted them for their terrible trade to figure things out, they're using bad numbers. They haven't contacted anyone and I'm sure I'm not the only one who hasn't bothered with their BS.

2:That statement of an October, 31st deadline accompanied a statement about MSI giving everyone details in the beginning of September.

...was the time-window MSI set to release the details of their plan to the public set in stone?

No.

...was MSI giving everyone the details of their plan at all before the deadline set in stone?

No.

...but somehow the October, 31st deadline is supposed to be set in stone.

...could you imagine this thread if the forum allowed obscenities?

tiliarou and MiSJAH like this.
  9. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Eurocom sells a 1070 laptop GPU made by MSI as an upgrade for their Clevo P870DM1 laptop:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Pascal upgrade in EUROCOM Sky X9 Desktop Laptop

EUROCOM Sky X9 or Clevo P870DM Upgrade:
    http://www.eurocom.com/ec/upgrade(2,348,0)ec

This is the example people have posted and what @JBarrtndrsr was referring to.

If Eurocom can make an MSI 1070 MXM GPU work in a Clevo / Eurocom laptop, why can't MSI do the same for their own MSI laptops?

The answer is that MSI can, and MSI promised us they would, for 2 generations of MXM GPU upgrades for our GT72 / GT80 laptops.

MSI needs to follow through on that promise.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
    CARL JONES, neohopper, MiSJAH and 3 others like this.
  10. RandomID

RandomID Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I think they use the same heatsink as for 970m/980m.

invertedsilence and hmscott like this.