GT72/GT72S and GT80/GT80S Owners GPU Upgrade Discussion

Discussion in 'MSI' started by hmscott, Aug 22, 2016.

1. mason2smart

mason2smart Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    They will probably send out a persobalized generic email after hours today just like they did last time
    @MSI Myco

invertedsilence likes this.
  2. mason2smart

Reputations:
    Tried to call seems like the sales department left for the day lol... Tried multiple times and they wouldn't pick up...
    @MSI Myco @MSI Natalie @MSIGeno

Support said that sales is handling it (MSI sales for a profit that is ;) ) and that it would be a week or 2 before we get emailed about the upgrades as they are still trying to figure out what path to take...

hmscott and tiliarou like this.
  3. Kevin

Kevin Egregious

Reputations:
    How many stall tactics have been employed, at this point?

Every time MSI gives a date by which they'll communicate their plans, it comes and goes, with a new excuse.

I guess they're still digging the holes, in which they'll bury the section of the marketing department who came up with using the promise of upgrading MXM GPUs.

4. twistedmr

twistedmr Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    "We should have answers to everyone’s questions soon, and we expect to be contacting each of you, one by one, starting next week. Please continue to be patient and allow us some time to get to everyone."

That's part of the e-mail I got. PATIENT is highlighted for clarity. I'm sure it's going to take some time to get to everyone and it is not a stall tactic lol. But then again this is the generation of I NEED it now.

mason2smart and hmscott like this.
  5. woolfman72

woolfman72 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I find it quite odd that not a single person in this thread has came forward to say they have had a response. We are talking about e-mail and not phone calls. how many responses can one person send in a day. The emails state the upgrade team. Meaning there should be more than just one person working on this. So regardless if you think this is the now generation or not (which I am surely old to be considered part of this generation) They gave the timeline and have once again by all evidence available , have dropped the ball.

tiliarou, Prototime and mason2smart like this.
  6. mason2smart

Reputations:
    They are stalling while they seek out legal advice on how to get around this issue for the least number of $$$$

DreDre likes this.
  7. Delme_21

Delme_21 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    You're probably right about that since that's basically all of the business world. There's been lot written up about how car manufacturers factor in loss of life and lawsuits vs doing a recall due hit money and hits to their reputation like GM's recent faulty ignition switch scandal and I expect that MSI is going to similar studies to figure out loss of profit vs reputation and loss of future sales. So yeah, they're probably re-evaluating their trade in program since I would hope that many of us questioned why we were getting downgraded laptops and maybe they're re-comparing the cost to get our promised MXM upgrades. Of course remember we were promised two generation of upgrades so we have to make sure that MSI realizes that we will be holding them to that promise too.

mason2smart likes this.
  8. cdmcfud

cdmcfud Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Maybe they are waiting until Oct. 31, to see how many computers will need the upgrade. Then they will figure out the cost and the plan.

JBarrtndrsr likes this.
  9. invertedsilence

invertedsilence Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    so ehh... I heard it's possible to upgrade laptops from other brands to pascal now. Why not MSI?
    Eurocom, right?

yeah..

how long will it be until somebody comes up with a hardware mod for the gt72?
    eurocom is also selling 980m upgrades for the gt72, has anybody asked them to sell MSI 1070s yet?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
  10. spurst

spurst Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Unless they contacted every single registered system owner this applies to and informed resellers to do the same, they can't really put a deadline on it. They made next to no effort to contact system owners - they had us submit a pdf and this was mostly communicated via 3rd party websites.