GT72/GT72S and GT80/GT80S Owners GPU Upgrade Discussion

Discussion in 'MSI' started by hmscott, Aug 22, 2016.

1. MiSJAH

MiSJAH Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hey zziplex, I understand your frustration but why should MSI give you anything for free? (OK, I'd accept a free dragon)!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hmscott likes this.
  2. DaMadness

DaMadness Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So it appears MSI are happy to go back on their word and I highly doubt any product feature, such as an upgrade, would be honored by these people.

My messages to them were bloody confusing:

HI,

I have just read that you will not be providing upgradeable video cards as previously promised in the advertisement of the MSI GT80.
    In America you will be providing a trade in program as advertised in "http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...ents-and-all-things-msi.795144/#post-10326272"

When will this be available in Australia and how would I go about taking up this upgrade offer?

Regards,
    Matt

Dear Customer,

Upgradeable MXM Design

Thanks to its replaceable MXM graphics module, the GT72 comes with more possibilities for future upgrades than other notebooks. The original configuration of the GT72, with GTX870M/GTX880M is upgradable to the new, more powerful GTX970M or even GTX980M, depending on your territory.

*MXM upgrade program is only available in selected countries and selected customers with special service, not for end-users to make upgrade by their own.

Best regards,
    Wayne (MSI Australia)

Hi Wayne,

Does this mean that you guys arn't supporting a trade in program in australia while you are in the states?

I.e. you won't let me pay for an upgrade to a new system? and does this mean your GTVR laptop will also not be ungradeable in australia?

Dear Matt,

Different regions will have different programs, promotions,prices...etc.

I cannot say anything until there is a confirmation.

Best regards,
    Wayne (MSI Australia)

Hey Wayne,

I'm not sure I understand. A confirmation of what?

Your inital response sounded like a soup nazi-esc 'NO TRADE IN FOR YOU' but now it sounds like 'Maybe a trade in is available but it depends on a confirmation.'

I'm sure you're stuck between a rock and a hard place of annoyed customer who spent $6k on a laptop and a company trying to do it's best but as it's a world wide thing, thats easier said that done.

Is there anything that I can do from my end or is this a case of waiting? if it's the latter, then what should I be waiting for and for how long? I don't want to be forgotten.

Dear Matt,

I have actually give you the details already. No such program is available in Australia.

Upgradeable MXM Design

Thanks to its replaceable MXM graphics module, the GT72 comes with more possibilities for future upgrades than other notebooks. The original configuration of the GT72, with GTX870M/GTX880M is upgradable to the new, more powerful GTX970M or even GTX980M, depending on your territory.

*MXM upgrade program is only available in selected countries and selected customers with special service, not for end-users to make upgrade by their own.

Best regards,
    Wayne (MSI Australia)

WHAT THE ****!?

3. MiSJAH

MiSJAH Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Find someone in oz with a GT72S or a GT80S and ask them if it says on the box 'MXM upgradable' if it does, get a picture and send it to MSI OZ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hmscott likes this.
  4. zziplex

zziplex Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    No, i simply do not accept the trade in policy. I do not want for free. No gpu upgrade for 2 gen... No MSI anymore! Remember in trade in they just benefit more in the business...

MiSJAH likes this.
  5. woolfman72

woolfman72 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I know my box does not have anything on it. i have a gt72s

MiSJAH and hmscott like this.
  6. OniGokuMonji

OniGokuMonji Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Only thing I can find as proof that they said 2 generations of GPU upgrade are articles and YouTube videos from 2014. Will this suffice? No one has pictures?

7. Doctor Funsies

Doctor Funsies Newbie

Reputations:
    they said 2 generations of GPU upgrade...starts at 2:30

zziplex, hmscott and MiSJAH like this.
  8. MiSJAH

MiSJAH Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Someone ask Linus for a copy of the press release from MSI. Surely other reviewers would have it also?

OniGokuMonji, hmscott and mason2smart like this.
  9. Kiwiland7r

Kiwiland7r Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    If you search my messages on this forum from about 2-3 weeks ago, I emailed MSI Australia about the same matter and posted their replies. I also got replies from this 'Wayne'. He was clueless as fk.

Also. He's lying. I was emailed by MSI in Sydney about a trade in offer. Posted it on the previous 2 pages.

hmscott and MiSJAH like this.
  10. DaMadness

DaMadness Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Bloody WAYNE!

What e=mail address are you e-mailing to as I believe together we can get a better result than just singilarly..

Also mine is a GT80, not a GT72, however it's the exact same issue.

hmscott likes this.
  11. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    All ten of George Carlin's dirty words apply to that guy's cluelessness... but I'd forgive him not knowing about Australia's "trade in offer" because there is no evidence of one in formal existence (a 10% discount offer worth $400, for a laptop that'd sell in a day for $2000, is NOT a genuine, planned scheme, it's a fob off).

MSI Australia's mission statement is to do their best to blur the line between conspiracy and ineptitude.

Go straight to consumer affairs/fair trading/civil claims guys, I linked all your respective state offices previously... No one gets anything out of MSI Aus without a formal process... They will frustrate you and contradict themselves twice a day til you give up... listen to me, I AM a (np) lawyer