GT72/GT72S and GT80/GT80S Owners GPU Upgrade Discussion

Discussion in 'MSI' started by hmscott, Aug 22, 2016.

1. CARL JONES

CARL JONES Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    yea right. you guys take the trade in if you want. Some of us in the US are fighting back using our fine court system and the fair trades act.

tiliarou likes this.
  2. MiSJAH

MiSJAH Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Read what I wrote. I support your legal fight. Just what the image shows has already been demonstrated and there's no info on the GPU.

Reading and understanding a post before you type a response stops you looking like a dweeb bro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DILLIGAFF and twistedmr like this.
  3. thegreatsquare

thegreatsquare Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That pic made me look at the box mine came in. It wasn't there, but the box had stickers that included the specs. So the box as a whole should be good enough, ...plus the S models came after the 900 series came out, so that dates it to certain hardware.

That MSI should be providing upgrades isn't changed by this alternate solution, especially when the terms of that solution are unacceptable.

4. Brandon Chuang

Brandon Chuang Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all,

I have a GT72 2QE with GTX980m and also looking forward to the upgrade. But unfortunately I'm in China. So guess I'm not in the "Selected Countries". Anyway, I still wrote to MSI about it. Got the similar response like "We don't have any upgrade option or trade in program for your laptop"

What I'm going to say is. My friend bought his first MSI laptop, a GT73vr 6RF with GTX1080, and of course he wants upgradability for his laptop. But found that MSI also changed their advertisement for GT73vr. So I think this should be raised to another level. it's not just for ppl who owns GT72/72S GT80/80S but also for ppl who bought a MSI laptop with MXM graphic card BEFORE they changed the advertisement.

On the other hand, there are also some GTX1070 MXM cards available on Taobao when the seller is not sure if my GT72 is compatible with. Then he recommend me to go for GTX1060 instead. Said he's sure about the compatibility.

5. Kiwiland7r

Kiwiland7r Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Update regarding MSI Australia's approach. I was sent a second email saying the EXACT same thing as the first. No reply to the feedback I provided to the first email.

This is their second email (which is the same as the first):

Dear Loyal Gamers,

Thank you for your continuous support of MSI products.

We, MSI, can offer the latest GT72VR 6RE(Dominator Pro Tobii)-099AU with GTX 1070 graphic cards at $3,599, which is gives a 10% discount compared to its original selling price of $3,999

If you agree the price, please give us a feedback to Ivy Hsu before 31st Oct, 2016. In the mean time, you have to return your NB Gt72s 6qf (gtx980) with battery, AC adaptor, and related key parts if you decide to have the trade in.

we would like to know your feedback, and will do our best to offer the best service for you.

MSI

mason2smart, MiSJAH and hmscott like this.
  6. sasuke256

sasuke256 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Even a 1070 should work ! TGP is perfectely "handelable" on paper...

Brandon Chuang, hmscott and tiliarou like this.
  7. Kevin

Kevin Egregious

Reputations:
    za M
    Jesus. Hand in your perfectly working laptop, and we'll give you a 10% discount on a new one? I'm insulted on your behalf.

Oh and you have 8 days to decide. Whiskey. Tango. Foxtrot.

8. tiliarou

tiliarou Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The level of MSI staff is really low... In France, they replied to our email refusing trade in by saying that the "MXM module + the GPU would cost us more than doing the trade-in" (translated from French), i.e. the guy/girl has absolutely NO IDEA what he/she is talking about. The MXM module as a whole (GPU+fitting+heatpipe+heatsink) is around 900€, so I don't see where/when 900€ is superior to 1400-1600€ they are proposing from GT72 to GT73VR... Moreover they tell us that if we are not happy we can "write an email to HQ in Chinese". Period.
    Looks like the Aussie MSI staff are not better ! MSI will be hugely impacted by this scandal and gamers will think twice before trusting this brand again !

sasuke256, zziplex and hmscott like this.
  9. Kiwiland7r

Kiwiland7r Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Finally, the first bit of communication received from MSI about my original reply.

My original reply:

I absolutely don't agree. You want to me to give you my 5000 laptop so I can save a measly 500 bucks on a brand new laptop?! That's just outrageous! I can't believe you actually want me to spend another 3500 dollars.

Infact your offer is so terrible, I could even sell my laptop on eBay for more 2000, buy your new laptop at FULL price and still have more money left!!

The point is you guys made promises that you now can't keep. I don't understand why I need to spend a ridiculous 3500 to buy a new laptop from you. If you guys had any respect for the customer, you would offer such new laptops below 1K for an exchange of my near new 980gtx laptop.

This is a post by a MSI US customer:

http://i.imgur.com/VLOhaUq.jpg

This is the email he received from MSI, clearly showing that he has to only spend 1000 dollars to upgrade to a gt73vr with 1080. Why should I have to spend 3500 on an inferior laptop with only a 1070?

And their reply:

HI,

I got your email. And I will try our best to fight back to HQ.

Thank you so much for your replying.

Ivy

mason2smart, tiliarou and hmscott like this.
  10. thegreatsquare

thegreatsquare Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The 1060 is sort of a sidegrade.

FYI, GT62VR w/1070 is $1400 in store at Microcenter, for those who might see that as a more cost effective solution for themselves.

mason2smart, RandomID and hmscott like this.