GT72/GT72S and GT80/GT80S Owners GPU Upgrade Discussion

Discussion in 'MSI' started by hmscott, Aug 22, 2016.

1. CARL JONES

CARL JONES Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

Hi, I do not want to violate any rules in this forum. If you have questions, those who are involved know where to go and I suggest you go there for answers. We are looking at potencial Legal solutions at this time there is a possible change in representation to be transparent and all options are being looked in to. Any others who want to be involved in doing something about this email me at lawcarlgt80s@gmail.com

mason2smart and MiSJAH like this.
  2. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    There was an outside vendor who posted here advertising legal services. That is solicitation. You all sharing information about legal resources is different, you can continue to do that.

Charles

twistedmr and hmscott like this.
  3. OniGokuMonji

OniGokuMonji Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Do we have group or petition going on?

MiSJAH likes this.
  4. invertedsilence

invertedsilence Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hoorayy!! this is great news... now all we have to do is wait until we can get our hands on an MSI MXM 1070. This might happen once the ****storm starts breaking out for people who are buying pascal laptops now, expecting upgrades to volta in the future.

Jokes aside though, MiSJAH has already been getting info about potential mxm 1070 upgrades being released/worked on, and I'd personally be more than completely cool with that.

I have a gt72 model that falls flat between having a g-sync panel, and having g-sync support.
    Basically, I was let down by MSI when I heard that my laptop was not receiving g-sync support, even though my GPU and screen could technically do it.
    I was sure of this, because a driver leaked where g-sync worked perfectly on my computer. Sadly only this old driver worked, and none of the newer ones would give me g-sync.
    When I contacted MSI about this, they told me I would have to buy ANOTHER almost identical 980m card for 1K$ with a different codename, to receive official g-sync support. I was piss off by this, because all the people on the ASUS side would get g-sync upgrades for 90$!
    Nevertheless, looking at how almost all 1070 laptops officially support g-sync, these upgrades don't only mean faster gaming, but also smoother gaming for me :D

TL;DR - I'd get g-sync on my gt72 if I had a 1070 because I have the same LG IPS panel

Anyway, MiSJAH, any updates on the 1070s?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
  5. MiSJAH

MiSJAH Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Since MSI UK advised they were looking at implementing the MXM GTX1070 upgrade, the prices for the MSI USA trade in, upgrade came out. Because the USA pricing was so much better value I declined the MXM GTX1070 mentioned by UK rep's and requested a GTX1080 appropriate to the cost of a MXM 1080 upgrade.

Last I heard from MSI UK was they needed to consult head office and they would get back to me.

Now is the time to wait and see if MSI HQ, understand that the offers so far have been an insult to their customers and get on board with a like for like chassis replacement with an upgrade to the card of our choice at a reasonable cost.

6. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Called it. Not because I had trialled anything like this or had proof though, just a general distrust of corporate culture and imprecise oversold statements from Marketing Dept about engineering issues

Not sure which "other manufacturers are offering MXM upgrades" re Pascal: Eurocom sell a modded MSI 1070 to put in a 980M P870DM Clevo, you can buy Pascal cards for adding SLI or going 1070-1080 into a P870DM2/3 (if for some strange reason you didn't spec it on ordering) that's about it. But, good to know it can go in other MSI's as well (so long as there's extra space around the slot to fit, unlike the 16F4 GT60 e.g.)

Please share the bios tweaks somewhere? maybe this isn't the appropriate thread

tiliarou likes this.
  7. twistedmr

twistedmr Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Video or pictures? Until then the "online" experts can claim whatever they want.

8. Kevin

Kevin Egregious

Reputations:
    What we need is proof that the 1070 or 1080 can be dropped into an MSI laptop. That they work in a Clevo is irrelevant to our cause.

hmscott likes this.
  9. Talon

Talon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I have one of those modded msi gtx mxm 1070s and if any GT72 (g-sync compat as its a g-sync card) owner wants to meet up or ship me their laptop I will test it with pictures and video proof.

I highly doubt my card would blow up so I'd be willing to help out. I am almost certain its a simple heatsink/vbios issue. They are purposely blocking it to sell new laptops or maybe there was some sort of issue with Nvidia blocking them from allowing mxm upgrades.

10. Q937

Q937 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    For GT80(S) owners, there's also a crippled EC firmware to get around, which probably comes with associated regulatory agency certification issues.

11. mason2smart

mason2smart Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Huh?