GT72/GT72S and GT80/GT80S Owners GPU Upgrade Discussion

Discussion in 'MSI' started by hmscott, Aug 22, 2016.

1. MiSJAH

MiSJAH Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    This and your existing card/s, so add an extra $500 - $1,000. That means you feel very confident asking msi to offer gtx1080 upgrade for $1800-$2400. That a lot more than the cost from rjtech that you linked to previously.

2. Caddyman

Caddyman Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Why wouldn't we get our old cards back as long as we asked. We paid for our old cards. We would have paid for the new cards (only remanufactured cards could have return cores) and this is not a warranty repair. They would have no legal claim to them. They would be ours to have as backup, sell, or even make art out of. :)

3. mason2smart

mason2smart Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    what about our old laptops too? didn't we pay for those?

4. spurst

spurst Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Per MSI's email:
    a) Unit must be shipped back to MSI without any physical damage and with all original components which includes the following but not limited to:
    i. Power Adaptor
    ii. CPU
    iii. Graphics Card
    iv. Memory
    v. SSD/HDD

So does that mean you need to ship back the box, packaging materials, stuffed dragon, etc? I understand that is a bit extreme, but the email does say all original components. I don't even see how this is fair or legal, because the only thing required to buy a video upgrade is the card.

5. woolfman72

woolfman72 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    How else do you expect them to sell the laptop without it all.

invertedsilence likes this.
  6. MiSJAH

MiSJAH Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Of course, but in the trade in, that's what you are trading in. The notebook for notebook.

However, you are paying for the GPU, so the existing GPU should not be part of the trade agreement.

That's why this is a bum deal. They want your notebook and old GPU in return for a notebook without a GPU, then they want you to pay for a new GPU on top!

Whereas the original advertised MXM upgrade, was a purchase of a new GPU, and therefore the original GPU still belongs to you.

That's MSI's problem for screwing up the original MXM upgrade. They can take my existing GPU when the make allowances in the costings in the 'trade in, upgrade' offer.

7. CARL JONES

CARL JONES Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

To this I agree because I still have old RAM laying around from old laptops and desktops that I thought I would sell. The point is I WOULD ask for it back and if I didn't get it I would need a good reason why. Because it's mine and I bought it with the laptop. They would need to show me why or I wouldent do it plain and simple. Doesn't seem fair to keep my stuff. IMO

8. Caddyman

Caddyman Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Exactly, I couldn't agree more and that's the point I was making. People are talking like the laptop trade in was the deal in the first place.

hmscott and MiSJAH like this.
  9. Kevin

Kevin Egregious

Reputations:
    Yeah it's some serious ******.

They claim "we can replace your laptop for a new model at the same cost as if you were to have been able to solely upgrade the GPU", but they are taking the full value of our current laptops. Shouldn't we then get a discount? Furthermore, if they are being so kind as to sell it to us at MXM cost, why does the price differ, depending on the specs of your current laptop? 970M SLI pays $1,800, while 980M SLI pays $1,400. Hello? Isn't 1070 SLI sitting at a fixed cost?

Why does the condition matter? Why do the original components need to be included? Oh right, because they intend to resell our laptops for a nice bit of profit.

MSI's only intention is to find a loophole where they can claim to have fulfilled their legal obligation, but without taking any sort of financial hit in the process.

This shouldn't even be a "trade in" guys. We didn't ask for a trade, and we certainly didn't buy our machines with the knowledge that they would try to pull this. We were told we'd be buying new MXM cards, for our old laptops. That's classic bait and switch. MSI sold us a promise, and is now reneging, turning it into a way to make even more money.

We can not let them get away with this.

mason2smart and MiSJAH like this.
  10. CARL JONES

CARL JONES Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I concur with that! I would rather be able to upgrade my GT80S but that's not going to happen so it's all a bum deal, and yea I'm butt hurt!! I love my laptop that I have I'm attached to it.:(

hmscott and MiSJAH like this.