GT72/GT72S and GT80/GT80S Owners GPU Upgrade Discussion

Discussion in 'MSI' started by hmscott, Aug 22, 2016.

1. infex

infex Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I wouldn't be surprised that a 1070 is being made since it uses the 230w brick and fits nicely in a GT72 chasis.

hmscott likes this.
  2. MiSJAH

MiSJAH Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If MSI were making an MXM 1070, why would they continue to roll out the upgrade scheme in the USA.

3. infex

infex Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    -_-

4. CARL JONES

CARL JONES Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I said with the videos they can prove it. There are lots of videos that advertise 2 gen LTT for one that's what I showed them. A MSI rep listening to a reviewer say MSI promises 2 upgrades and not saying different means they agree with what the reviewer is saying. LAWYER...Intent......

hmscott and mason2smart like this.
  5. twistedmr

twistedmr Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Link the videos please.

6. mason2smart

mason2smart Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    it may not be online anymore

7. MiSJAH

MiSJAH Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    12.30 only mentions upgrade from 9 series to pascal.

hmscott, mason2smart and twistedmr like this.
  8. DILLIGAFF

DILLIGAFF Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @spurst I am on my side, of me wanting to get the best deal i think i can get. i am on a side that will need to make a decision to either strike a deal with msi in the next 30/60/90 days. Or i will need to tell them i will skip the deal, join the class action and buy the clevo. IF i am going to push them for better deal, than what is offered, i need actual facts- web links, urls, msi letterheads, msi employees on video etc, to backup my demands based on what msi themselves promised (not what a 3rd party promised). so far i see promises to upgrade my laptop for cost of the new gpu. thats it. if they cant offer me an mxm, then they need to provide new laptop with comparable parts (same tier) PLUS new gpu, for the cost of that gpu... which is essentially what they are offering (except no option for 1080 for alot of tiers)

yes English is my "primary" language and i do live in an area which is part of the upgrade- i was the guy that posted the actual usa offer details into this thread a couple days ago.

@MiSJAH all the stuff you are linking just repeats what we know. - 980m will be up gradable to next generation. there is nothing explicit here about keeping your old 980m/980. the video is an msi shill not an msi employee.....another instance where "entertainer" or "journalist" or "reviewer" is acting. i respect your position, you can make the argument to msi about keeping your old gpu base don whatever reason you provide, you have the right not to strike a deal and go with the lawsuit or take another course of action.

bottom line for me at this point: i feel very confident asking msi to offer gtx1080 upgrade for 1300-1400$ and feel i can point to lots of evidence for this, from msi themselves (thanks everyone who linked msi employee videos, and links to msi site showing these clear facts). imho this is inline with the links you reference where they advertise to upgrade your 980m/980 laptop to next generation graphics for the price of the graphics card(s)

IF @anandtech replies and can provide something in writing from msi showing "MSI publically promised 2 generations of upgrades and returning your old gpu to you after upgrade" i will feel confident in changing my position and demanding an even better deal.
    so far out of what was found anandtech is the ONLY source on the entire net which @mason2smart showed us, that explicitly stated both those points in writing. So IMHO the 2 groups of people claiming they were promised "2 generations" and "my old gpu back" all stem from a promise by Anandtech, not a promise from MSI. Their response will sure be interesting if/when we get it, and would be relevant for many people in this thread.

mason2smart and twistedmr like this.
  9. mason2smart

Reputations:
    :)
    Been trying to keep offline copies of all evidence...

10. mason2smart

Reputations:
    ask for it for all of us lol. not just yourself or post what you told them. and each of us will modify your post to ask.