GT72/GT72S and GT80/GT80S Owners GPU Upgrade Discussion

Discussion in 'MSI' started by hmscott, Aug 22, 2016.

1. CARL JONES

CARL JONES Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    email me at lawcarlgt80s@gmail.com. we have 25 people so far and need more for the class action will be on contingency (we pay nothing) otherwise we are on our own. Come on we need more lets do this!! You have literally nothing to lose, if it doesn't work just pay for the upgrade. if it does we can at the very least negotiate for a free trade because there is no mention of the second upgrade. come on we have to trylawcarlgt80s@gmail.com

mason2smart likes this.
  2. MiSJAH

MiSJAH Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    This makes no sense still. Why would anyone pay more than the cost of the MXM board they want to upgrade to? (1080 costs $1,325, 970m to 1080 owners pay $1,400?).

As the upgrade would have been, as per rjtech.

1070 MXM upgrade cost - $825
    1080 MXM upgrade cost - $1,325

The card you have at present makes no difference to what you would have paid to purchase the new MXM card, so it shouldn't make a difference in MSI's scheme.

Also if MSI wants us to exchange our notebooks with the existing GPU/S still in them the upgrade prices should be adjusted accordingly.

And MXM GTX 980m are selling secondhand in the UK for ~$700 and the MXM GTX 970m for ~$500.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
  3. liox

liox Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Small question, in France, we should receive MSI's offer tomorrow.
    However, I no longer have the originals SSDs, I sold them because I replaced them by others.
    Can MSI really disqualify me from the exchange offer for this ?

4. sasuke256

sasuke256 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    yeap

5. PaddyPaws

PaddyPaws Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have also replied to the email from MSI. I have a GT72 with 980m. The current offer is better than what I expected after reading about the Europe offers but still not what I was hoping for. I wanted to upgrade to the gtx 1080. I asked if there was any option for it, will reply to this chain when I hear back. Seems you can only get the 1080 on the titan models so not hopeful they will have any good option to upgrade to that from my model.

mason2smart and hmscott like this.
  6. spurst

spurst Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    There is no way in hell I would

7. mason2smart

mason2smart Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    @ryzeki pls delete

Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
    hmscott likes this.
  8. mason2smart

Reputations:
    what about kabylake?

hmscott likes this.
  9. mason2smart

Reputations:
    1080 = 2x980m so does not equal upgrade unless doing vr and in any case when vr starts using sli it won't be an upgrade, just an equivalency.

hmscott likes this.
  10. spurst

spurst Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I am still scratching my head a little bit because MSI claims to be charging us the upgrade cost for the card(s). Within the email it states, "*Each upgrade cost is the same as if you were to only upgrade the GPU."

However, that can't really be the case. As someone else mentioned, it would technically cost no more to buy a 1070 SLI for a GTX 970m SLI laptop than it would for the 980m SLI laptops, yet they have a $400 difference. Remember, this cost was to "only upgrade the GPU". This only makes sense if they are staggering the costs for upgrades based upon existing GPU & device value. However, that directly conflicts with the quote from MSI.

At the end of the day, they should be absorbing the loss as a design/marketing flaw for allowing a marketing campaign selling these as future proof options and easy to upgrade. As a 980m owner, there is NOTHING I can upgrade mine to. 980 desktop edition owners have NOTHING to upgrade to. 965 and 970 owners can only upgrade within the same generation. MSI failed all of us.

MSI should have started with a sincere apology from the head of the design team that built these, and as a gesture of good faith and wanting to keep us as customers, they could have offered us more competitive priced options or an existing value credit based upon your purchase price, which they have on record for any device that was registered. They should have offered us a full refund for any device still inside of warranty coverage since the devices were not "as advertised" or 120% credit (or whatever typical markup is, since these should be provided to us AT COST with no loss to the reseller/partner) on our purchase price in the form of a voucher for the purchase of MSI devices from authorized resellers or channel partners.

Instead, I feel like we, as customers, are shouldering the burden. Everything MSI has been giving us is severely delayed, extremely unclear, and blatantly ignores many of the questions and concerns we have.

This whole situation has been poorly handled and ineffectively communicated. Given MSI's size and immersion in the industry, they should have gotten in front of this and worked with channel partners and resellers to quickly resolve the issue. Instead they send out an email and pdf (that was problematic) to users at a 3rd party website that will likely miss most of the impacted GT owners. That is so sketchy that I don't even want to start on that one...

The ineptitude with how this was handled astounds me. The worst part is that it took a month to get that inept offer that missed a large population of owners. Come on MSI... you still have the chance to fix this, but you *NEED* to start working with us.