GT72/GT72S and GT80/GT80S Owners GPU Upgrade Discussion

Discussion in 'MSI' started by hmscott, Aug 22, 2016.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
  2. MiSJAH

MiSJAH Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    1070 costs damn near the same as a 980m. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

MSI are *****

Yeah I typed the asterisks....

hmscott likes this.
  3. Johnksss

Johnksss .

Reputations:
    It is better.
    The 980N cost more and runs slower, but then. Rjtech never carried the 980N either. else they would have beat out everyone else's prices. When going through retail channels

Actually you mean Rjtechs 980M. Everyone else, it's still a 100 to 200 hundred cheaper.
    Edit
    They came down a bit to more like 75 to 150.

hmscott likes this.
  4. SAiLO

SAiLO Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I am in no rush.
    Will wait and see how this develops.
    This upgrade would still be more expensive then selling the laptop and buying brand new GT73VR with GTX1080 in my case.

MiSJAH likes this.
  5. RandomID

RandomID Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I like how they switched from a legal obligation to a goodwill "we-will-take-your-laptop-for-a-price-that-we-want" trade-in program.
    If you call this a "trade-in" or "trade-up" it doesn't mean that it automatically becomes a normal trade-in which takes wear/age of your equipment in consideration.
    And we never asked for a trade-in in the first place. At least not with its price more than a GPU upgrade kit.
    It's not their good will to offer a trade-in (cause they're obliged to offer something anyway), it's our good will to accept this in exchange of an original promise.
    They have to understand that.
    With those prices they offer they should also give an option for a refund for a product not as described then.
    And we'll see how many customers gonna choose a refund over this circus.

OnlySLI, SAiLO, MiSJAH and 1 other person like this.
  6. thegreatsquare

thegreatsquare Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Just as I'm not trading up if the laptop doesn't support W8.1, I'm not selling it back for a full refund either.

MSI owes me for failing to deliver GPUs, but this laptop stays with me.

hmscott likes this.
  7. gh0stx

gh0stx Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I actually even had my GT72S customized with 3M Carbon Fiber all over. Similar to Dbrand skin for Razer laptops...

I can't transfer that to the new laptop if I trade-up

I got this laptop last July 2016 and had it skinned at once. So this is pretty clean

Though I spend more, I think MSI will just say that because I added skin, they will bump the cost up since i altered the unit? I can remove it though but thats stupid. No way to win.

OnlySLI and hmscott like this.
  8. spurst

spurst Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    They need to get on top of this issue sooner than later. I don't understand why they are screwing around with this.

This small pool of gaming laptops is a blip in the grand scheme of things if they damage the brand in the process. If something acceptable doesn't start to materialize this next month for the US market, there is no reason to not take the story and the cover-up to the PC gaming community. This is quickly morphing from a design change into full blown fraud with a cover-up and all.

Revenue US$2.7 billion (2014)
    Number of employees

9. hacktrix2006

hacktrix2006 Hold My Vodka, I going to kill my GPU

Reputations:
    Well all have a voice and we all have wallets, lets use them. Still in contact with the UK MSI rep and will also be writing a letter to the general manager as well on monday. It would be great if the member of the R&D team at MSI put there input on these forums about this mess. Its alright the CS Reps being on the forum but it would be nicer to hear from the horses mouth so to speak of the decision making logic used to come out with this febal Trade up (Down in many cases) program. Its not doing MSI any favors at all, so far this week i have told 10 people not to bother with MSI laptops if they are after upgrading the GPU and we are looking for another supplier that will allow such things without the issues that are current.

CARL JONES, hmscott and OnlySLI like this.
  10. soldat23-4

soldat23-4 Newbie

Reputations:
    Guys, I talked to the MSI gaming laptop Chinese Rep via weibo(a chinese version of twitter). The over all tone is still similar to the msi rep thread(new design, new feature, some other BS etc.) However it is possible that we might have 1070/1060 upgrade. It is just that the release date is still a myth. I 'll post the picture of our conversation soon.

hmscott likes this.