GT60 2OC gtx 1060 upgrade problems !!

Discussion in 'MSI' started by panamaniacs2011, Mar 17, 2018.

1. panamaniacs2011

panamaniacs2011 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hello :

I got a gtx 1060 from eurocom and after installing drivers reboot i get a black screen my card is :

vsync
    10DE 1C60 - 1462 11FF
    VBIOS 86.06.19.00.08

ive tried this on both legacy and uefi mode windows 8.1 , i currently have an unlocked bios on my laptop , AFAIK my screen is a 3k monitor ips . i went on this path because i read on tech inferno that someone successfully installed a gtx 1060 on a gt60 laptop . There are posts of fully working gtx 1060 cards on both gt60 ivy bridge and haswell models(windows 10) . Any help will be greatly appreciated .

EDIT: Problem solved , see post 3

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
  2. Talon

Talon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I would try and update hat bios and EC to the latest version on MSI website. I had a similar issue back in the day when upgrading my GT60 to a 970m. Updating system BIOS and EC fixed that issue entirely.

Make sure you follow the upgrade instructions on the bios. Looks like an out of order update can cause system brick.

panamaniacs2011 likes this.
  3. panamaniacs2011

Reputations:
    tanx for your response . I got it working yesterday with help of Svet , i left the ec firmware untouched and his instructions where as follows:

Install celan windows 10 (in my case i did legacy which according to him it does not make any difference)
    Update windows 10
    install modded inf file

and its working like a charm . its worth mentioning that he does not know if it will work on windows 8.1 and .what makes this work is the way the nvmii.inf file is modded . I was replacing a 1c60 entry with my gpu id (which didnt worked) so what he did is erase all 1c60 (there are 3 groupings of these)and left 1c20 in the file then i used the first 1c20 entry to replace with the gtx 1060 installed on the laptop .

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    Kevin@GenTechPC and Talon like this.
  4. Talon

Talon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Great job getting it working!!!

5. PenyKuleczka

PenyKuleczka Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello!
    Yesterday I installed gtx1060 (1C60) in my gt70 2OC without any major problems. .INF mod has worked, nvidia 391.35 drivers installed. But after the upgrade unfortunately, the mini display port does not work, which I used to connect the external monitor. With HDMI pluged the shortcut fn + f2 to switch between the external screen also. And what the most annoying hdmi does not transmit sound! Under playback devices I have info 'hdmi audio not plugged in' 'all the time. I installed even the oldest drivers possible for GTX 1060 from the nvidia 382 website ... but without any effect ...
    I know that this is the least of the problems I could have with such an upgade, but still irritating: P

panamaniacs2011 Do you also have this problem?

6. mg0706

mg0706 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi there, i have a GT70 2PC Dominator and i did upgrade the gpu to 1060. I do have the same problem with the mini displayport, and i if i left plugged the external monitor and start windows, it only recognize the external monitor, i can't switch between screens (external monitor and notebook monitor), i have to shut off the notebook, unplugged the external monitor (HDMI) and start windows, so i can see the notebook screen, and then i can plugged the external monitor and can switch between screen. I am looking for some help too for both problems. You are not alone :/

7. PenyKuleczka

PenyKuleczka Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Unfortunately, I suspect that this is a compatibility problem GTX 1060 card with motherboard and bios or EC firmware. In any case, we can not expect full compatibility after such an unconventional swap. It's still great that this card works at all in good old gt70 :)
    I don't think the official 1060 drivers would handle such an old system as mDP 1.2 unfortunately for us. Without official support, it will be rather difficult to have full plug and play functionality. But I hope I'm wrong...
    In windows 10, Im able to switch between the screens using shortcut key win + p or in the screen settings. Maybe it works in your case too.
    Do you have an updated bios and EC firmware?
    my bios:
    E1763IMS.51D
    EC Firmware Version
    1763EMS1.517
    for the gt70 2OC and 2PC the dominator are the same, what I see.

8. mg0706

mg0706 Newbie

Reputations:
    I used to use the windows key + p but it only works if i start the notebook without the external monitor plugged and once the notebook screen is on with windows and then plug the external monitor. Buyt if i left the external monitor plugged and start the notebook, i can only use the external monitor scrren, i cant switch with the wwindows key + p.

Bios: E1763IMS.51D
    EC: 1763EMNS1 Ver 7.17

9. panamaniacs2011

Reputations:
    sorry for the late response , unfortunately i dont have a mini display port monitor to test , the only problem i have ATM is games without VSYNC suffer from extreme stuttering issues , and low fps , but with vsync on they run fine, but at 60fps cap , i modded the inf file replacing my gpu id with 1c20 (my gpu is 1c60 as well ) entry because thats the only way (according to SVET) it will work . maybe if you replace another line in the inf file you could make it work?

10. panamaniacs2011

Reputations:
    just realized there is a mini display port adapter in my office i could use to test it when i get home , its a mini display port to vga