Gsync?

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Lunatik, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Lunatik

Lunatik Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Wheres the gsync on the new Msi RTX laptops, was considering the GT75 2080 but no gsync?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    Vistar Shook likes this.
  2. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    They do have G-Sync, but not all of the models got it.

Vistar Shook likes this.
  3. Vistar Shook

Vistar Shook Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It would make no sense for the GT75 to not have g sync. Most likely they just didn't mention it on the product page, like in the past.

4. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I think all new laptop panels that support VESA Adaptive Sync will work given the recent announcement from Nvidia that they are going to offer G-sync compatible support for VESA Adaptive Sync.

With updated Nvidia drivers for Pascal / Turing (Volta?) it may not be a problem so much as a semantics issue - G-sync will be available on all VESA Adaptive Sync supporting displays. Time will tell. :)

Vistar Shook likes this.
  5. Lunatik

Reputations:
    So the GT75 has G-Sync, how about the GE75?

Vistar Shook likes this.
  6. Vistar Shook

Reputations:
    I would be surprised if the GE75 has gsync since the model before (GE73) had the optimus solution for better battery life instead of g sync.

7. Lunatik

Reputations:
    Good to know, honestly I’m not sure if I even need G-Sync? Just realized the ROG Hero ii I had before didn’t have G-Sync and I did ‘t really notice haha. Might just go with the GT75 but I really wish it had an option for the i7-8750h / 2080, the i9 doesn’t seem like a big improvement just more heat. Also that would drop it to one power brick which would be nice.

Vistar Shook likes this.
  8. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Intel has also promised to support VESA Adaptive Sync, so you're covered there too. :)

Another reason Nvidia broke down and supported the VESA Adaptive Sync Standard, they were the odd man out.

Given AMD makes the Sony / Xbox CPU / GPU / APU's and support Freesync / VESA Adaptive Sync, Nvidia was starting to look bad.

:eek:Starting?:confused: ;)

Unknown how the Optimus Intel / dgpu thing will work out, will pass through VESA Adaptive Sync work right?...

Vistar Shook likes this.
  9. Lunatik

Reputations:
    Honestly I don’t think missing gsync is a big deal anymore at high frames, like I said above I had the rog hero ii and didn’t even realize I didnt have gsync lol. The GE75 2080 is looking really good to me...has the i7 (dont want the i9, increased thermals + performance isn’t much better) and the full 2080, 144hz with slim bezels and one power brick. It hits all my requirements. Still lots of time to think it over but will be ordering something with a 2080 on the 29th haha. Wonder how the cooling is on the GE75, will definately get liquid metal+fujipoly pads from HID.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  10. Vistar Shook

Reputations:
    Sure, but I think he was referring to G sync support or not on the laptop screen, not on the external displays. Either way, the news that Nvidia drivers will support monitors with VESA adaptive-sync is great news.

hmscott likes this.