Gs75 vs rog zephyrus gx701

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Richard Bortz, Apr 6, 2019.

?

Gs75 vs gx701

1. Gs75

6 vote(s)
    54.5%
  2. Gx701

5 vote(s)
    45.5%
  1. stamar

stamar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I don't even known what to say I ran through the 3dmark test with zero thermal throttling cpu at 55c. The lowest temp 8750 in any machine . if I had the 2080 maybe that would be different.

Ya its impossible for an 8750 and a 2080 ij an asus to outperform the same in an msi you have to have thermal throttling and there really us none.

All the machines perform the same. The 90watt max q vbios makes no temperature changa

2. stamar

stamar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    My machine will have thr same performance as a zephyrus 70 2070 90 watt no question at all except as we said itbhas faster ram.
    Look we can all make claims on things we haven't done, it's pointless.

Thats hilarious

I can make the claim that all laptops with the same hardware will perform the exact same without doing anything.

If what prevents my 970 ef from the same score as a razer is thr vbios ot software
    I can change it and then its the same machine . What is different? The case and cooling? If those make no difference then there's absolutely no difference. No difference in my machine and a zephyrus so 100 percent you can take that to the bank the performance is the same.

No science fiction could change it...

There is no magical asus 2080 or Razer 8750 they all perform the exact same
    And if my clevo has a 90w vbios there is no possible way it could perform any different than an asus zephyrus 90w. It is not possible you don't need to see it.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
  3. MattLangley

MattLangley Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Feel free to link and site any in-depth reviews, charts, data confirming your claims. No one should take claims purely at face value. Additionally the notebookcheck review did in fact show the MSI GS75 (the one in the OP and title) throttles it CPU lower than the gx701 (resulting in the gx701 getting 10% better CPU performance) and running the 80w variant of the GPU at lower clocks actually runs a drop hotter (so if you jack it up it will indeed generate more heat without any additional modification).

Likewise the Linus videos I shared showed their results that mirror this, the GS75 is limited by thermal performance in its stock form hence it only got set at the 80w variant and running at lower clocks. Apples to apple, stock to stock again in the professional reviews out there the gx701 out performs the competition that's been reviewed with the same hardware. Don't take my word for it check out the in-depth reviews.

4. stamar

stamar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    If you havd any data that shows that changing the vbios of any 80w max q to 90w wouldnt make them the same hook us up.

All the people who tried it said it worked
    There May not be a laptop review with one ever.

Here's the same review

Basically they said both cooled very well

There was no point in a test they ran that the p960 was even 80c however they didnt do a low fan test
    The other reviewer did get the zephyrus to throttle but then when max fans came on it went to under 80c.
    The temperatures were functionally the same but 15 v 17 inch.

I look at the data i see and the 960 en runs cooler but not much

You see pictures of each heat sink And The p960 en is way more heavy duty it has 3 fans and it covers a 90 degree area of the laptop

Meaning the p960 en heatsink jilust for the CPU is about the size of the zephyrus for both CPU and gpu
    And then it turns right and adds another fan shared and the gpu down the side.

The mis is almost the same way.

But with a smaller hest sink the zephyrus gets almodt the same temperatures because it gets more air obviously . I doubt it's running cooler in fact I feel certain this data says it runs hot its part of why the keybaord is so forward the heat is so concentrated the whole laptop cooks
    The p960 en is way cooler on its surface but again it has a 3rd fan and it's moving its heat over nore area

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
    MattLangley likes this.
  5. MattLangley

Reputations:
    You say impossible, yet multiple reviews that benchmarked them show differently. Again I either believe you or multiple in-depth reviews. They say the CPU throttles and the GPU can maintain higher speeds. How can you say going 80w to 90w and higher clock speeds makes no temperature change. You can't defy physics, more power (which results in higher speed) means more heat.

No matter what you say again there are multiple thorough reviews of the GS75 and gx701 and show exactly what I'm saying. The gx701 does better in CPU and GPU tests by about 10% with the same hardware... why because of higher speeds maintained in both. The notebookcheck review I linked gives you actual CPU charts where you can add/remove whatever laptop they reviewed to and it makes complete sense how the gx701 gets 10% higher in cinibench multi, the CPU maintains a higher clock after the initial boost in the gx701. if you look at that chart you will see many many laptops with the exact same CPU perform actually a bit differently, some can maintain higher speeds, others throttle much more down after initially boosting.

I'm going to leave it at that, this is pointless. You say gsync is not important for gamers (which is the entire purpose of gsync, syncing your monitor refresh rate to your gpu framerate and avoid tearing or stuttering), you keep making the same claim while many reviwers (every one I've ever seen) show that the same hardware in some laptops can in fact perform quite different, usually based off how thermally efficient they are. You keep bringing up a different laptop that I have no knowledge of, haven't commented on, and don't have reliable sites to reference anyways (and isn't one of the two mentioned in t he OP). Likewise you made multiple claims that factually wrong, like the gx701 not having gsync and not running dual channel memory.

Look all of these are excellent laptops. You really can't go wrong, but don't ignore countless analysis that look at the thermal design of laptops. The zephyrus laptops have a unique thermal design (while most laptops don't, slight variations that can in fact make differences too but less dramatic). A massive air intake across the top of the laptop (hence no bottom air intakes) and basically a cooling platform built in raising itself. Multiple sources show a real difference. There's nothing more to say but please please be careful when you make claims that are just factually wrong (like the gsync and dual channel ones). It's really bad if someone makes a purchasing decision based on sheer false facts (compared to just subjective preferences etc).

6. MattLangley

Reputations:
    Thanks for sharing. That laptop isn't in the title and I have no knowledge of it and haven't made any claims regarding it. It might excel compared to other 2080 MQ laptops as well. Not directed at you but gizmoslip has been posting very shading RTX laptop benchmarks for months now though, very different than the other results from any other reviewer (such as showing allegedly the gx501 getting better results than the gx701, when every single other review out there shows quite the opposite). With that said maybe this review itself is good, interesting I don't know enough about every other feature of this laptop if it fits in the OP's choices or not, they can answer regarding that. Also as you already pointed out a different test if repasted (It'd be interesting to see a gx701 repasted honestly, though I'm not going to be doing that to mine, too expensive to risk voiding my warranty). Only apples to apples comparisons really matter though (as I'm sure you know).

As far as throttling, the GS75 maintains a lower CPU speed than the gx701... and despite running slower on both the CPU and GPU (meaning producing less raw heat from the power) it hits temps around the same (and in notebookcheck a bit higher) than the gx701 running faster (hence generating more heat).

This is not surprising, a big issue with the previous gen gs65 was it's thermal perfromance too. As Linus puts it, he finds it questionable whether you should get the GS75 with a performance like that say something running a 2070 or a 1080 without throttling and thermal constraints. My biggest issues behind that with the GS75 and why I didn't personally get it were also build quality (again a continuing complaint with the MSI laptops, especially the gs series, that's the cost of being 0.8 pounds lighter less structural stability) and no gsync. If I'm going that expensive then I want it to stand the test of time and not flex a lot (which also effects typing experience) and gsync is something that's improves gaming experience with anything that can't maintain 144 fps. The value of all these things is subjective to the individaul. The GS75 has it's own advantages though, lighter, a bit cheaper, more memory, better upgrade slots. Just don't ignore a clear advantage as shown in those reviews out there on the thermal designs between these two specific laptops.

7. stamar

stamar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    This is a good place for people who have really low computer hardware knowledge like you to ask questuons to people who are a little more tech savvy.
    Most of what you said is truly bad advice to someone thinkijg about buying each. I would ask you not do really advise anyone personally.

24 gb in slower speed that cant be dual channel of the fastest ram speed is a serious setback for any laptop none if the ither laptops on the market have that drawback. Technically 24 gb in half step 2666 speed isbalready slowet than 32 gb in 3200 ran speed but in a few years it will be real it will be a speed difference more than the 90w vbios

The deepest miscalculation anyone could make is that the 10 percent vbios clock tested against one with a 80w vbios means its faster it's the same. If they bothered to test it that way you need a higher intellect to see thats just soft ware. Don't spend 600 on software this is just how nvidalia markets the same stuff.

This is a great place to connect with people who know the answers to that question you dont know the answer to. Because if you dont ask you have an assumption and it's wrong.

None of the laptops with the same hardware will ever have different performance even saying that is bizarre detachment from reality.

No gamers with 144 mhz screens dont notice g sync even a little. There is no tearing. It's not important for any game i played . im not sure

I can accept your review but no the majority do not think it matters it's hard to create a situation where it matters.
    I cant tell someone what to value about it
    I strongly feel thebstatistics of the screen itself mattrr way more than g sync
    And usually a gsync screen is way lower quality or not the best even for gaming in laptops obviously it lowers the screens available at best.

Things like response contrast etc matter more to me i wouldn't honestly even replace a laptops screen that had g sync with a gsync screen but it would still be good for the external I mean its not bad its not worth even worrying about in a 3000 laptop very small check

There are just so many brand new laptop owners here who just got a new machine and review that they don't care about gsync anymore the newer screens dont show tearing. My machine is pretty new I couldn't create it but all I play is witcher 3

The trend absolutely positively is not that g sync is gaining popularity it is losing popularity in free fall death and every new cycle it will have fewer people who care. This years laptops less gave g sync but next years maybe almost none will.

8. stamar

stamar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I also think without any doubt the vast majoroty of laptop users will without a doubt use multiple ssds

I already have 4 tb pcie in mine someday I will be at 8 tb ( 4 tb sata) my main one is the 3000\3000 kind the newest kind
    I never thought about it but at what point would you never delete anything...

Important for a majority. 1 ssd isn't gonna be as cool. I cant tell anyone its important just naturally people do The ones that dont get this asus obviously and theres no point in regretting it.

9. stamar

stamar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I went ahead and looked and aparently
    Even when a laptop is not g sync certified it runs gysnc externals

The laptop display doesn't need to support g-sync in order to for laptop to connect to g-sync external display correctly. All you need for g-sync to work properly is for the laptop to have a mini DisplayPort that is directly connected to the nvidia gpu instead of the iGPU. There are two possible scenarios:

Frames rendered by the dGPU ----> iGPU display pipeline -----> mDP connector G-sync is not supported in this case.

Frames rendered by the dGPU -----> dGPU display pipeline ----> mDP connector G-sync will work fine.

Quite simple to do this the display port switch to dgpu.

Even less of a reason to get a g sync internal laptop display. But i can show you that most g sync displays are a really bad auoscreeb with 30 ms response time if youre woomrried about tearing you couldnt even notice it on a 39ms response time screen in thebfirst place. It's marketing to people who dont know what theyre doing
    To say that g sync matters is one of the other clues that youre not a serious gamer and dont know what youre talking about

Further adding curiosity is you dont ever need g sync to run external g sync monitor it's only a cerification for the internal monitor so your 1440 screen would be the same on all machines . You asked the wrong questions

10. MattLangley

Reputations:
    No offense but this is well known. Regarding the gsync "externals." Gsync is a feature of the display not of anything in a computer. As long as you are running any nvidia GPU in the last few years (not sure when it first got supported but was 3-4 years or so ago) it can support gsync (freesync being the AMD equivalent feature). Again this is a display feature, just like the framerate of the monitor... 144hz for example is a feature of the monitor and not the system connected to it.

That's why reviewers of laptops evaluate gsync in regards to the display. You probably noticed they say something like 144hz 1080p 3ms response time gsync display.

And no gsync displays don't usually have bad response times. I'm sorry but you keep talking about things you clearly don't understand, slow down and research it up a bit. Many gsync displays (on laptops or not) have phenomenal response times. The gx701 for example is advertised at 3ms response times... this is something commonly tested, for example the link I shared before compared the gx701 and the gs75

https://www.notebookcheck.net/index.php?id=127065&specs[]=306681&specs[]=308006

Response Times Response Time Grey 50% / Grey 80%
    gx701 - 7.2 ms
    gs75 - 7.6 ms

Response Times Response Time Black / White
    gx701 - 9.6 ms
    gs75 - 9.6 ms

The gx701 with it's gsync display actually does slightly better, though they both are basically the same and within the margin of variance in testing.

For comparison here's their review of the Razer Blade 15 with 2070 Max Q (reviewed Feb 2019), this does not support gsync
    Response Times Response Time Grey 50% / Grey 80% - 16.8 ms
    Response Times Response Time Black / White - 11.6 ms

So no you are wrong and in the laptop specifically mentioned, the gx701, the response times are great and better than many without gsync.

Likewise most modern gsync monitors for desktop computers have great response times (since it's a high end gaming feature so marketed towards those). For example my desktop monitor the AW3418DW has a great response time average of 6.9ms.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_alienware_aw3418dw.htm

In fact desktop gsync monitors require a special gsync module from nvidia (which drives their cost up), but are known to have expecially low response times

This is regarding to my desktop monitor from the previously linked review
    I don't know if the laptops require some sort of gsync module, but as shown the gx701 has excellent response times better than some non-gsync laptops, so clearly it's not a problem.

Gsync and Freesync are extremely important features in PC gaming right now and have been for years. For you to claim that I don't know about gaming because I know it is indeed important is bizarre to the extreme. Sync'd refresh rates are amazing and broadly considered one of the best things to happen to PC gaming in the last few years (just under high refresh rates). Research it, this is nothing new.

I highly recommend you read a pc gamer centric article explaining these things, like this (or countless other ones on the web or in videos)
    https://www.pcgamer.com/should-i-buy-a-g-sync-or-freesync-gaming-monitor/

Once you game with no tearing you notice it instantly when you go back.

Yes you can plug any of these nvidia laptops into a gsync display and use gsync on that display, not you cannot make your laptop display run with gsync if it's not supported in your laptop. It's an important feature to consider.