Gs75 vs rog zephyrus gx701

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Richard Bortz, Apr 6, 2019.

?

Gs75 vs gx701

1. Gs75

6 vote(s)
    54.5%
  2. Gx701

5 vote(s)
    45.5%
  1. stamar

stamar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Ya the 24 gb ram thing also keeps the dual channel at 2666 mhz
    Where as my machine has 32 gb 3000 mhz already and 3200 mgz ram is already for sale.
    So the ram is stuck from two ways.

You can easily use 32 gb and 64 gb( in theory the asus could use 32 and 8) are really easy to use with a virtual machine ram disk.

Just seems a sad bummer to spend 3200 on a machine and it's already stuck essentially like a surfacebook.

If you have one enjoy what is going for it.

The software of the 2080 90w so far as I know is just a vbios to change.

Im not sure the thermals on thr asus zephyrus are any better like same vbios js on thr razer and its hotter. Just a manufacturer choice I mean its no difference thsn software and you can so far as I know use the same vbios on any of these machines.
    Already been done on the ghost and tongfang . someone tried it on thr clevo and it didn't work though.

But definitely don't buy a laptop based on which vbios they use thats like buying a car for an ashtray.

The performance is the same with all machines witj the same hardware. Even in the case if the triton or Razer which have CPU throttling or alienware you can undervolt and repaste and its there I dont think any of thr machines are that far off. The clevo has thr lowest CPU temps ivr seen of any 8750 machine bar none but just from the owners here not official tests it is functionally running at 50c at 100 percent usage.

I like the asus hinge thats great that adds cooling but it also has just fewer heat pipes and fans than the msi or clevo I'm not sure it really does run cooler. The only 960 review is on youtube andbthe numbers they posted blow it away no thermal throttling at all. But it's not scientific yet id just say the zephyrus runs cool and the clevo does andbthe msi does too. There's a few things about the msi that lead the cooling technology its fans are set mid motherboard not on top it runs cool too. If my clevo runs any cooler than an msi I'll just say it doesnt help at that point bc the CPU does not overclock

The performance of the zephyrus and the msi is the same when you flash the razer vbios in the msi . im not 100 percent sure all the machines are the same but I bet they are

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
    seanwee likes this.
  2. MattLangley

MattLangley Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Sure, you could. Though if you're gaming on the 1080p screen you will very likely run into GPU or CPU bottlenecks far earlier than RAM speed bottlenecks beyond 2666mhz. Also the sheer clockspeed is only one metric you'd have to compare timings and actual benchmarked peformance, often better timings but lower clocks are better, especially on intel CPUs.

I agree that it is a downside, personally the only downside that was one for me, but it doesn't mean much of anything for gaming use, this thing stills stomps anything else with the same hardware or less in laptop form around this size (and even some larger ones in some cases).

Agreed, as I specifically mentioned my work laptop has 32GB specifically for VMs (I can sometimes run 10+ VMs to simulate a server cluster). Though for gaming it's completely unnecessary.

Every laptop is stuck (well the Alienware 51m might be the least stuck, though some major downsides to it too) with something. With all other laptops in this size and design you are stuck with significant inferior thermal design. Unless you rebuild the hardware and cooling system the gx701 will just outperform it on CPU and GPU throttling and performance (specifically the GPU but usually the CPU too). Sure on something like the GS75 you can upgrade the RAM more but you can't upgrade it's thermal performance and if you're looking at gaming performance then the benchmarks speak for themselves.

Not to say the other laptops are bad, maybe you need a mix of priorities, maybe the best gaming for the size with the best build quality and least flex just isn't the top priority for you (or gsync if you are looking at the MSI options since they lack it). Maybe it's something a bit weaker in performance and build quality but lighter and more RAM. Honestly it's great to have so many great options, but the gx701 has some clear advantages that you can't really upgrade around in something else (yes you could re-paste a GS75 with something like liquid metal of course, though you could do the same and still come out ahead with the gx701.

Absolutely, I'm sure people are enjoying all the other options as well, to be clear I'm not saying those are bad but you misrepresented at least two things. The gx701 does have gsync and it does work in dual channel (flex with up to 16GB). It also does have a performance advantage, at least against anything I've seen benchmarked by various reviewers (including an advantage over the GS75). This is why Linus didn't recommend the top spec GS75, he said basically spend a bit more and get the gx701 (though he did suggest the lower spec variants of the GS75 might be a good value). You just aren't getting the full value over the 2080 MaxQ and i7 (both about 10% worse compared to the gx701 despite the same hardware).

https://www.notebookcheck.net/index.php?id=127065&specs[]=306681&specs[]=308006
    I think you missed my point. The point is the manufacturer chose to use the declocked variant due to their thermals. Note via the notebookcheck comparison the CPU throttles more than the gx701 (resulting in about 10% lower pure CPU performance) and likewise gx701 actually can boost quite a bit to much higher clock speeds than even the rated boost, despite running the CPU and GPU at higher power and at higher clocks (resulting in higher benchmark results) it actually gets thermal results slightly better than the GS75. meaning if the GS75 ran its CPU and GPU at the same speeds and power the thermal results would be even worse. As notebook check put it

So the thermal design in the GS75 just can barely handle the lower clock of the GPU and throttles the CPU more, hence why they didn't opt for the higher clock version

Agreed... to force my previous point into a car analogy, if you change the vbios and get a higher clock it will be like throwing a supercharger on a car to get more HP but not having the steering response, the suspension, the brakes, etc to handle that performance. This all comes down to the gx701's funky keyboard forward design with it's massive air intake right over the CPU + GPU plus the raised back bottom vent. It's funky but clearly works and it's not something you can upgrade in a different laptop. It's simply better thermal design. It sacrifices to accomplish that of course, but it results in objectively better gaming performance (and things like multi-core cinibench performance compared to the GS75 at least) than the GS75 and the comparables.

All a personal decision on which tradeoffs matter the most, just trying to be clear on somethings you seem to be dismissing, the thermal design is in fact superior.

I'm sorry, based off every set of benchmarks shared by reliable reviewers it is in fact different. Again as I quoted from notebookcheck (which has a wide set of benchmarks against multiple laptops) the gx701 has a 10% edge on the laptops with the same hardware. yes you can repaste, but you can also repaste the gx701 and still maintain the edge.

I don't believe you, back it up with a source and share thermals. Considering the temps the msi and razer see with their existing options I'd be concerned on jacking it up more, again considering the msi gets slightly worse temps at a lower clock'd GPU and the CPU (running throttled). Often the difference isn't this big, but that keyboard forward design, massive air intake, and rising back is a pretty dramatic design difference and for a reason.

3. stamar

stamar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Jrey flashed the 2080 max q 90 from Razer 15 on his gs65
    The performNce was 4 and 8 percent gpu he has his own blog

Till flashed the 2070 90w razer on his tongfang and the 2070 max p 115 watt.

The 115 what max p normally needs a larger power supply ajd might not be bios supported but his firestrikeyou score was the same as a max p. It was barely lower it was 20500 firsestrike gpu

Btw a 15 inch version is tong fang 15 seems to run very cool also
    Ya my clevo p970 does not throttle even a little I'm not aware that tje msi ghost does in any test either. But it's similar so I assume it has the same 3 fan 8bpipe heavy duty cooler type

If the zephyrus runs cooler than my (2070) because of the air hinge... It won't help any gaming benchmark. I don't think it does.

And no getting it cooler once it doesnt throttle wont help the 8750 any more thats the end. So I mean I won't repaste my CPU it makes no differencr cant overclock it.

My machine will have thr same performance as a zephyrus 70 2070 90 watt no question at all except as we said itbhas faster ram. I think imo it runs cooler you can look at the picture of the zephyris heat sink it's lower grade 2 fan. But proof is in a test more air and less heat sink and like you said the design has the 2 hot points rear to where they get nore air.

Zephyrus has g sync I didn't have that right all the rest don't. Even the next class of thick and light none have g sync except the clevo.

You can research g sync whether it matters its not bad per say. Ifbit was stuck g sync only that would be bad but itbhas some reboot bios thats good its not bad at least. Doesnt matter much but its good you can switch it on when you are gaming only.

4. stamar

stamar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I mean you are saying the laptop with the 90w vbios has a higher 3dmark score than 80watt.

Well no duh lol. So put the 90watt vbios on the gs75 and is it the same? Ask jrey he says yes. The 2070 version 100 percent. If the 2080 finally does get to hot we dont have anyone yet with the exact 17 inch machines yet but I bet it doesnt makes sense,it should be even less

I believe someone flashed the Razer 90w vbios on a triton and it worked great.

But I don't have that persons name. It shoukd work with all of them we listed but the hardware is new so were not sure

5. stamar

stamar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I'm not even going to compare our relative gaming computer knowledge but I'm about to exceed your 2080 zephyrus 90w with my 2070 80watt max q and there is no thermal throttling at all. A hinge just wouldnt help this machine its already at no thermal throttling at a'll there is no problem with most of these machines at all

6. MattLangley

Reputations:
    Did they re-paste, with what, etc? I imagine they did if they flashed... if so you have to do an oranges to oranges comparison here.

Again as shown in multiple reviews the GS75 hits slightly worse thermals at the lower clock. So stock the gx701 shows superior thermal performance from multiple sources. Again that big intake isn't their for decoration.

No offense but I'll believe multiple reviews on the matter that release various results including thermal data and apply consistent testing procedures.

Look we can all make claims on things we haven't done, it's pointless.

Multiple comeptitors have gsync like the Triton 500 and the Y740 (another poster shared that one already too). They are thin and light gaming laptops as well.

I don't need to research it, I have a desktop running 2700x + 1080 ti with a 34" UW monitor 3440x1440 120hz with gsync. Gsync is amazing, any newer game with any decent settings won't max out the 144 fps on these laptops and gsync is a game changer IMHO. This was one reason I didn't personally go for the GE75 (despite it being a bit bigger and have CPU throttling though it's full laptop 2080 runs well). The GS75 I ruled out due to lack of gsync, build quality, and poor thermal performance.

Gsync is not a top priority for everyone, it's a huge difference in gaming experience in my opinion and a huge portion of gamers outt here. It's like >60hz, it's hard to go back to tearing or stuttering once you get used to something better.

There are many great reviews out there (like notebookcheck), but a good video summary of this

GS75

gx701

7. MattLangley

Reputations:
    I have no clue what you are saying. Reviewers out their show thermal throttling. Multiple. Yes you can re-paste and you even do a liquid metal re-paste and get even better performance (some see 20 degrees in some cases), but you can apply that to either option... apples to apples comparisons show superior thermals in the gx701 compared to the gs75 (and many others).

As far as knowledge, you don't know me I don't know you. I don't believe in pissing contests. You made multiple incorrect statements, I offered corrections (such as the gx701 does indeed offer gsync and does run in dual channel flex). It's fine, but you should be careful before spreading misinformation when people are evaluating such expensive purchases.

8. stamar

stamar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    It doesnt take a lot, of your CPU does not thermal throttle that's all it can do no need to improve from 70 to 60. Nothing bad but it has no performance use

No I'm not aware that the triton was g sync either it may be stuck in g sync I'm not sure in which case it could be bad for most people

It makes no real gaming difference it comes up more in lower frame rates. If g sync is your thing though those 3 have it then most don't.

It's not important to gaming google it. Its not bad what can I say

9. MattLangley

Reputations:
    I'm not what you are saying. You're saying gsync isn't important to gaming? gsync is specifically designed for gaming. You must have meant something else?

Yes it comes up in lower framerates, anything below 144 (well within the threshold), but if you are consistently getting below your max fps then you are getting screen tearing and gsync remedies that (or you can enable vsync and get stuttering). Again after having used it for quite a while on my desktop its a major feature for gaming. Some may be fine with it but it's a game changer for a lot of gamers.

stamar likes this.
  10. stamar

stamar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Ya honestly I dont see any msi ghost review that shows thermal throttling but I did see a triton review that had CPU thermal throttling
    Jrey ibdont believe he repasted his it shouldn't need it. I mean I have the 2070 so I'm so far away from overheating I didn't look into it. I thinknthe msi ghost g75 runs perfect nowhere near throttling.

I dont think the zephyrus runs any cooler. And if it does it doesnt matter once its not throttling it doesnt matter. Maybe the zephyrus could handle the 2080 max p bios better. No data shows that yet but it would be cool.
    The problem isnt heat for the gpu it's the power tdp

In all actuality as far as owners the coolest running thin and light is either this one or the tong fang 15 which is the cheapest one. With unlocked bios it wins all performance tests. Many others including clevo but less msi have bios settings to get in the way of tuning .It has I believe the best cooling of any laptop it has air coming in from the top through the keyboard . blows the hinge on the zephyrus away as far as volume