Gs75 vs rog zephyrus gx701

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Richard Bortz, Apr 6, 2019.

?

Gs75 vs gx701

1. Gs75

6 vote(s)
    54.5%
  2. Gx701

5 vote(s)
    45.5%
  1. Richard Bortz

Richard Bortz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Planning on buying one of those, both with 2080. Any recommendations?

2. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    I would personally go for the MSI, as it has a real number pad and normal keyboard location. Have you also considered the Alienware m17?

3. Richard Bortz

Reputations:
    Well no but sure if thats a better deal. I have a 15% off on Dell so maybe thats a better choice?

4. stamar

stamar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    https://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np8973-clevo.html?startcustomization=1

This is a similar clevo model I ended up with the 2070 version very happy with it overall

It is extremely similar to the gs75 similar build stats etc but in the end it's cheaper thats whats going for it.

The zephyrus has rhe nicest build iy has the opening raising thing

So far as I know it has 1 storage slot and the other 2 have 3 which is major

If money is not thr object.... Gs75 has the nost going for it. Look at what the sager goes for same dollars

5. Richard Bortz

Reputations:
    How is the thermals / fan noise on the clevo?

6. ijozic

ijozic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Depends on what you're after as you didn't give any details. I'd expect the GX701 to be the most performing one and the keyboard up front is not a problem when it's on a desk. It's also the best-looking of the three by far, IMHO. It doesn't have a TB3 though, but for external graphics, the performance hit is unacceptable on TB3 anyway (like 20-25% apparently), IMHO.

MSI GS75 is the lightest, but it's also the weakest case quality wise. Its performance is also behind the Asus somewhat and it has no G-Sync.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/MSI-G...0H-RTX-2080-Max-Q-Laptop-Review.415202.0.html

Alienware m17 wasn't reviewed on the notebookcheck yet, but though slightly lighter than Asus, it's the biggest of the three due to the bezels, which are also made of tacky glossy plastic (gets scratched easily and looks cheap). But, if external graphics are of importance to you, it's by far the best choice due to the proprietary Alienware port which works much better than TB3, plus their external case is not expensive compared to most other solutions.

If the keyboard being positioned front (the side touchpad is apparently natural to use, though it's relatively narrow) is not a problem for you, I'd go with Asus (but I'm subjective here). If it is and you need portability then perhaps MSI is an option, though I'm not sure how robust that thing is. If external graphics option (future upgrade) are an option and the slightly bigger size is not an issue, then go for the m17. I like it's design from the outside, but they cocked it up with that glossy bezel.

If you want to save some money and can deal with some compromises (it's slightly thicker and heavier than the other three), there's the Lenovo Y740. It's GPU performance is slightly behind the GS75 even, but it's the quietest of the bunch if that's important.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenov...0H-RTX-2080-Max-Q-Laptop-Review.410791.0.html

Regarding Clevo P970EN, I couldn't find any good reviews yet so can't comment on it. Razer hasn't updated their 17" model yet, not sure if they ever will.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
  7. stamar

stamar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The thermals on the clevo are the best never over 70c CPU on Oct

The thermals on these 3 models are all really good. Not the alienware

The build quality on the stealth and clevo are kind of the same its aluminum in peices where as the asus and razer are a milled frame like a MacBook. Thats worth something also the asus has the 90w 2080 but its just software

None of these machines havr g sync

Clevo and asus dont have tbolt 3. But take a Look someday at the activity of people using an egpu. Crickets. Its an idea no one practices
    You'll never get a tbolt 3 gpu to beat the 2080 in your machine it's essentially nothing. Itbwould need to be a 4080 and by then it might not even use pcie 16 and a new laptop with a 12 series CPU would blow it away for less

8. stamar

stamar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I just want to throw in 2 serious no sale design flaws with thr zephyrus

It has only 1 ssd slot. So most others have 2 or 3. It makes no sense to have as many ssds as a 13 inch tablet in a 17 inch
    You need 2 at least 1 is boot and software 1 is storage imo
    2 tb ssd are on the market so it could be livable but its bad

8 gb is soldered that means max ram is 24gb not in dual channel

No sale. Add to it its the most expensive one tonconsider I couldnt buy it. Its the heaviest too

Certainly a nice bling factor I could not live with 1 storage in a gaming laptop.

It has a long string of worst in class but a best innclass chassis
    My p970 weighs half a pound less is smaller
    Might be thicker.

Has 3 storage options and similar if not better temps. Not as good build quality but it's functionally 700 less. Better and less

The razer has just 1 ssd also can't see it . alienware has 2 that's livable
    The gs75 has 3 pcie and its the lightest it has tb3 too but as we said im not sute that could even matter.
    It has per key rgb lighting mine has 3 area. Gs75 is definitely better but is it 600 better?

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
  9. stamar

stamar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    the p970 doesnt have reviews but the p960 does you can look at not an in depth notebookcheck one yet.

But it's most a gs75 clone in looks and in function its similar fans and heatsink size everything

If the alienware m17 has plastic the p 970 is all metal. Not all premium like the bottom seems like pot metal it's the same with the gs75 it is all metal but still kind of cheap

10. MattLangley

MattLangley Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    To be clear the Asus gx701 does have g sync (and has the option to turn it off and go to optimus for better battery life you so choose).

The gx701 performs significantly better in thermals than anything of it's size/weight or smaller. Which is why it has a higher watt and clocked 2080 MQ. Likewise it's 2080 MQ maintians higher speeds and it's CPU often throttles far less than many other options too. It has a clear and distinct performance edge.

Yes only one m.2 slot. Honestly hasn't been a problem for me. My last laptop had two m.2 slots, I bought it with 512GB and added another 512GB (both nvme). I just bought this with a 1TB nvme and I'm fine (cyrstal disk shows 3400/2200 so pretty fast too). Might be a major factor for someone who wants to add in additional m.2 slots.

Yes 8gb is soldered in and only one swap able slot. Yes there is a model out there with 8gb + 16gb. You are incorrect, it is in fact dual channel however. It's called flex (or more generally asynchronous dual channel). Basically up to 16gb works as dual channel. Note nearly all the benchmarked/reviewed models out there have this 24gb flex version and it outperforms all of the laptops with the same hardware confirming it does perform as such (likewise CPU-Z and other programs report in as dual channel).

No games require even 16 GB of ram. In fact most will never break 8GB (especially at 1080p, but even more). There are in fact other needs that can use more than 16GB of ram... though I got mine with just 16 GB of dual channel RAM, it's not an issue and won't ever be. Likewise my desktop with 2700x + 1080 ti @ 3440x1440 rarely ever breaks 8GB gaming only (have to be doing a lot on my other monitor to push it beyond)... so for gaming it's not an issue. My work laptop has 32GB of RAM to support running lots of VMs, so yes for some people it is important.

It is the most expensive and heaviest. It has by far the best build quality though. For example the MSI GS75 has major flex, as in the body itself will flex (look at the Linus Tech Tips reviews, this was the same with last gen GS65 which I have in fact used in person). They are nearly the same size however... The GS75 is something like 4% smaller in overall volume (it's smaller in two dimensions but the asus is thinner so it's a wash for the most part). The Asus has gsync.

What you pay for with the asus is best in class performance, and in a non-insignificant way considering the same hardware

Note the Asus gx701 has best in class performance for anything running the same hardware or less for gaming (and does quite well in thermal throttling for CPU, where it can beat some i9 laptops with its i7). It is more expensive, a bit heavier (though still light for a 17"), and has poor upgrade ability. The keyboard and trackpad is either something you love or hate too, I personally love it. It also keeps your fingers away from the hottest part of a gaming laptop.