GS75: i7-9750 vs i9-9880h > Battery Life?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Frosti, May 11, 2019.

1. Frosti

Frosti Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm looking to buy MSI GS75
    It comes with either 6-core i7-9750 and 8-core i9-9880h,

Since the laptops battery life is about 2.5 hours according to reviews (for i7-8750)
    i'm trying to figure out if the new 8-core i9-9880H will have an impact on battery life,
    Given they are both 45w Processors?

This is the laptop i've chosen anyway, now trying to decide between the versions.

2. Zero989

Zero989 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    assuming a turbo limit of 60W per processor, the 9980H will be slightly less efficient (maybe 5-10 mins of battery) unless you cap its single core turbo to the same as the 9750H's. C-states means that the CPUs will be using 3W or less at idle.

3. Frosti

Frosti Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for that, seems logical.
    Hmm...i wonder, in a such thin laptop how much the 8-core is going to throttle more significantly then the 6 core...

4. Mark Haughey

Mark Haughey Newbie

Reputations:
    First off I'd like to say you're starting way ahead of where I started with the same result. As to your question between the 6-core i7 9750-h and the 8-core i9 9880h, intel has done a wonderful job with both CPU's in regards to performance versus heat. I saw in a similarly spec'd laptop that I turned down (Razer Blade Pro RTX 2080 2019 Model) due to the fact that it could run full throttle, non-stop, without any interruption or excessive heat build-up. I chose the MSI GS75 Stealth 479 through Amazon (ExcaliburPC) and a 4 year warranty which yielded a savings of roughly $600 over purchasing the same laptop with a 3 year warranty from a local store. I can also confirm this laptop has a redesigned and higher quality chassis than previous models which provoked me to make the switch from Razer to MSI this year. I feel if you're spending $3000USD for a 9750 you'll be feeling left without. Pay the extra $400 and get the Ferrari. Everyone I've seen driving a Ferrari seems happy, especially if it's the first V-8 (8-core in this case). My last comment will be in regards to battery life. MSI has chosen Intel Optimus technology over Nvidia's G-Sync for their panel inside the laptop. This means the battery life will drastically be improved on the MSI over other manufacturers of similarly spec'd laptops which chose G-Sync. Only way G-Sync will be rationalized is while running a 4K resolution on ultra settings considering the hardware inside the laptop. By eliminating this extra work for the GPU inside the MSI to do, it can rely on an external display's G-Sync technology to let the GPU run faster and more efficiently in the laptop which will result in higher FPS on an external monitor than the laptop's internal panel. Also, don't regret MSI not charging over TB3. This causes massive heat build-up and throttling in ultrabooks, and is really only viable for people who can't afford purchasing a high performance laptop or both an ultrabook and EGPU together. MSI GS75 Stealth 479 is the King. You'll probably also like knowing SteelSeries links up with the MSI keyboard and offers some interesting choices of RGB. The Arctis Pro Wireless headset is phenomenal, along with their Rival 650 wireless mouse. The rest of the peripherals are somewhere "middle-ground' among the rest of the market and are priced accordingly while performing and match the rest of the set. The 479 version of the GS75 Stealth will not throttle at all if using a cooling pad (I use the X3 from CM and it's amazing - zero sound) or elevated stand, and has a battery life between 5-6 hours if used modestly. Heavy rendering or gaming will result in 3.5 hours of battery life. Hope this helps!

5. Driftingnfsc3

Driftingnfsc3 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    there shouldn't be any difference if at all... the TDP of the 9880h is 45W. As long as you do not do the BIOS unlock and spoof the voltage readings to let the system draw more power, the laptop will restrict the sustained max power consumption to 45W. In other words, even at the high end, under sustained workloads, you will probably end up using the same amount of power. Another thing i would like to point out. I find it extremely likely, that the i9 9880h and i7 9750h are the same physical chip, except the 9750h has 2 cores disabled. This means the i9 9880h is a better binned chip, that can probably function with lower voltages. Add to that that the extra 2 cores allow for the cpu to be strained less, means lower clock speeds necessary for light tasks, which results in lower power consumption for doing the same task as the 9750h. I say this because clock speed and power consumption do not have a linear relation.

a test i ran with some 8750h laptops. This test was with my GS75. I am using the same undervolt, limiting 6 core turbo, running cinebench r15, i saw 3.5GHz peak at 45W, 3.6GHz peak at 48W, 3.7GHz peak at 54W, 3.8GHz, peak at 61W, and 3.9GHz at 72W. its amazing what difference 3.5GHz to 3.9GHz makes. 27W or an increase of 60% power for just 11.4% higher clocks.

i ran a similar (albeit less thorough) test with a lenovo thinkpad x1 extreme, which ironically achieved the same -142mV undervolt. This laptop had the 8850h.
    3.7GHz peaked at 45W, 4.0GHz peaked at 64W and...because i am crazy and i could apparently overclock it... 4.4GHz at 92W :X.

just keep in mind your results will vary depending on how well you've won the chip lottery. i recently got a razer blade 15 with 8750h, and it would hit only 3.25GHz with a -145mV undervolt at 45W.

6. seanwee

seanwee Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    There's a model of the GS75 with the i9 9880H?