GS65 Stealth Thin 8RF - upgrade RAM and SSD

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Paloseco, Apr 7, 2018.

1. rigo1158

rigo1158 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I want to add another m.2 drive but not sure which to buy. I know they come in different physical sizes. any help on this?

2. cranker2k

cranker2k Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I bought the newly released Samsung EVO 970 and installed it in my GS65 perfectly. It's 80mm in length, which I think it's pretty standard now in desktops and notebooks.

You can go into one of the SSD products in this link and expand the spec section of the product page to see their dimensions (~80mm): https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/memory-storage/solid-state-drives

3. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    How's the performance on the SSD? Have you benchmarked it using CrystalDiskMark?

4. cranker2k

Reputations:
    Here's the benchmark for Samsung EVO 970 1TB NVMe PCIe SSD for boot drive (cloned using Samsung Magician) and loaded with some apps and 200GB worth of games to arrive at approx 40% full.

upload_2018-5-13_11-17-44.png

I noticed some performance gain from the stock non-NVMe 512GB SSD (Best Buy 037 model), but not really that much for game loading.

Kevin@GenTechPC likes this.
  5. Kevin@GenTechPC

Reputations:
    That's pretty awesome.... love it. :)

6. WoodburyMan

WoodburyMan Newbie

Reputations:
    I just got my GS65-Stealth 053 with 512gb NVMe today. I took the laptop apart. There's about a dozen screws on the buttom, then you get motherboard access. The Memory and M2 slots are on the front side. Two screws, and releasing a few ribbons gets it loose and you can flip the board. The 2nd M2 slot is there. I added a 2TB WD Blue SATA M2 SSD. It would not recolonize it in slot 2. As others said, Slot 2 is for NVMe drives only. I move the stock NVMe drive and its heatsink gel to Slot #2 and put my SATA M2 SSD in Slot 1, and everything worked just fine. Dissaembley and Assembly takes about 10 minutes.

cranker2k likes this.
  7. WoodburyMan

WoodburyMan Newbie

Reputations:
    Does anyone know where to purchase a spare AC Power Adapter for the US? I usually leave one where I dock my laptop on my desk, and carry one in a backpack for travel.

8. Donald@HIDevolution

Donald@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    Doesn't the vendor from which you bought your MSI GS65 8RF Stealth THIN-053 have spare AC Adapters?

9. Kevin@GenTechPC

Reputations:
    Yup, you can get it directly from either of your point of purchase, or MSI.

10. cranker2k

Reputations:
    Buy one with bigger power to use at home and take the lighter one that came with the GS65 with you on travel. The reason is the 180W is not enough to charge your laptop's battery AND be gaming at full load at the same time if your battery is less than 70-80% full. Also, it runs super hot, sometime hotter than feeling bottom of GS65 at full load!

So the common scenario is you used your laptop at a cafe and battery is down to 20%. You now returning home and want to play some games on an external monitor. So you plugged in GS65 to the wall and monitor and ready to play. Guess what? Frame rate is not up to where it suppose to be! It's not as low as on battery but no where close to it's capability. Until the battery gets above 70-80% (I think more like 80% from memory) will the frame rate restored to full power. This is not just GS65, I heard Aero 15x and other gaming laptops come with AC adapter that's is a compromise to size.

So I just got a 230W AC Adapter and will test that scenario. At the very least it has ran slightly cooler than 180W so far. Because MSI uses a pretty standard 5.5/2.5 mm barrel adapter, it shares with Asus, Lenovo, and other manufacturers. I bought a third party one from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B4YV655