GS65 Repaste Question

Discussion in 'MSI' started by BeastOG, Jul 1, 2018.

1. Diversion

Diversion Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Tried that bud.. still didn't help sadly.. I'm on my second unit (exchanged the other) and haven't opened it yet... Too afraid to mess up another one :/ Temps are pretty "okay" after a massive undervolt with the stock paste on this one.

Kevin@GenTechPC and hmscott like this.
  2. BeastOG

BeastOG Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Out of curiosity what were your stock temps on the exchange unit? Itd be good to have a comparison to reference.

hmscott likes this.
  3. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Up to you, since you've done enough you will be better on the next round, but if you aren't feeling comfortable doing it then just stick to what you currently have. :)

4. senso

senso Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Sounds like you folded a thermal pad on the VRM's that caused your heatsink to sit crooked.

Next time, buy some Artic 1mm and 0.5mm pads and replace everything, or remove the stock pads and then carefully put them back, and make sure none is folded.

5. Diversion

Diversion Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    About the same temps on the exchange unit.. The bad news is that it appears the new unit still have a 6c delta between the hottest cores and the coolest ones.. This tells me the heatsink is warped (or likely they are all).

6. Diversion

Diversion Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm stable at -162mv on core/cache on the new unit and while it still pegs 90c, it isn't throttling nearly as bad after a long term Prime95 AVX test. Under most normal gaming loads though it never gets past 80c.. normally around 70c.. So I think i'll leave it alone for now.

heliada, hmscott and Kevin@GenTechPC like this.
  7. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 nͫٴiͤٴcͫٴeͤ੮Һ૯ ცɿ૭ ૭คעٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴ

Reputations:
    You need help with that?

Might be a lemon unit too, worth trying to return and then getting a new exchange unit.

8. Diversion

Diversion Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Indeed I did exchange it and the new one is definitely pasted better from the factory.. Old one was running at 82c on GPU under load, new one is sitting pretty at 76c.

BeastOG likes this.
  9. BeastOG

BeastOG Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So quick update. I tried repasting it again with more success this time. I've also undervolted it to -150 and redownloaded the dragon center so i could set a fan curve, since the fans weren't really kicking in properly from the windows settings. I'm hitting low to mid 80's on the CPU with the exception of core 2, and 70's on the GPU. At this point I think it's the heatsink not being properly balanced, but I'm not entirely sure how to proceed to get the contact perfect. I could add more paste so it get's a better contact but I'm not too sure about it. It's still running a lot better, and core 2 is the only one that really throttles, so it's a major improvement regardless.

Kevin@GenTechPC and hmscott like this.
  10. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The problem is it isn't better pasted from the factory at all.
    MSI laptops use "Lairdtech" paste. It's a thermal stamp. All the pastes are 100% identical. It's a stamp.
    The problem is the convex heatsink quality lottery or how evenly or unevely the screws are tightened.

Here's what it looks like before it is ever installed. (this is a GT75VR CPU heatsink, original).

gt75heatsink.jog.jpg

raz8020 likes this.