GS65 Repaste Question

Discussion in 'MSI' started by BeastOG, Jul 1, 2018.

1. BeastOG

BeastOG Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hello,

This may be the wrong place to ask, but I recently upgraded to a gs65 and I'm a big fan. I found a great deal on the best buy model, and I've bough my own ssd and ram to upgrade it, and I decided to buy some thermal paste (kryonaut) as well. However this is my first time repasting and I'm seeing some conflicting information. When applying the paste, am I supposed to spread it, or just do a line and then press the heatsink down? Any help would be appreciated.

2. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    It doesn't matter. There are tons of videos debunking the whole "how to apply thermal compound correcly" just make sure its enough and not to little and you're good.

Terreos and B0B like this.
  3. asm1

asm1 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Also be sure to discharge static and not move around too much. BEFORE you take the Heatsink off. I killed my GE62 that way :( had it less than a year. Which reminds me. I must find out how much a new motherboard costs... frightened to ask.

Thouroughly recommend stripping to underwear. No joke.

KY_BULLET, BeastOG, Terreos and 2 others like this.
  4. senso

senso Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I just touch the PE "spring" in a wall socket every now and then..

You would need to have a ton of static to kill a mobo, more likelly that you made a short before disconnecting the battery..

KY_BULLET, raz8020 and BeastOG like this.
  5. Terreos

Terreos Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Like asm1 said make sure you discharge yourself before you open the laptop. I've fried a motherboard about two years ago when I was moving my desktop setup to a new case. And since then I've bought an ESD wrist band and ESD mat whenever I work on electronics. It's not 100% nessary, but these are things you can use down the road and they greatly reduce your chances of ruining your expensive electronics in the future.

And so long as your thermal compound isn't conductive and it wouldn't matter how you put the paste on. Just put a small pea size drop on the cpu/gpu and put the heat sink back on. Most manufactures from the factory put waaaay too much on and it goes over the sides and touches the electronics around the cpu/gpu and it doesn't short anything out. Again so long as it's not conductive.

asm1 and BeastOG like this.
  6. Diversion

Diversion Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I picked up a GS65 over the weekend and I actually might be one of the only people around to tell you NOT to repaste the GS65.. I repasted it around 4 times and every result was worse than stock. The stock heatsink is a stupid tri-post design and once you remove the heatsink, it never seems to lay flat enough on the CPU. I had half the cores hitting 90c immediately and the rest around 60-70c. The ones hitting 90c were obviously not making any contact with the heatsink after repaste.. I even used a TON of paste to try to fill in the gaps to no avail.

I have a lot of experience repasting machines and this one was by far the worse post-paste experience i've ever seen.

Maybe my unit was a bad one, not sure but you should really consider just leaving it stock and undervolting the crap out of the CPU instead.

hmscott, Kevin@GenTechPC and BeastOG like this.
  7. BeastOG

Reputations:
    Well it's a bit late for that lol, even though I plan on undervolting it too. it was actually mostly successful, except for core 2 still having pre repaste temps in general. I'm thinking it might be what you said, and I'm honestly not too sure how to proceed at this point. My thought right now is to give it a couple of days to see if it settles in any better, and if it doesn't, I'll give repasting it one more chance, and get an extra set of hands on it to maybe help keep it steady while I'm reattaching it. After that, I'll be undervolting it either way as long as I don't make things worse. Thankfully I got a pretty decent size tube so I could get prime shipping, so I won't have to worry about running out. If you have any other advice in the meantime, I'd appreciate it, since I've already done it. I'll let you know what happens either way!

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
  8. BeastOG

Reputations:
    Also totally didn't realize I needed to turn repasting into a more sensual experience, so I'll have to give that a shot. In all seriousness, the place I'm staying at is all tile and hardwood floor, so static buildup isn't too big a concern for me.

9. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    1. Apply the paste evenly, but not in excess amount.
    2. Slightly tightening each screw in clockwise direction but not all the way, then once the heatsink is leveling nicely on top of processor lid then repeat the tightening process again.

hmscott and BeastOG like this.
  10. BeastOG

Reputations:
    I'll give that a try and see if it helps, thanks!