GS63VR 1080p panel switch to 4k igzo

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by jpsjosh, Sep 29, 2016.

Tags:
?

Will this attempt to switch from 1080p to 4K IGZO on the gs63vr succeed?

1. It will be successful!

8 vote(s)
    61.5%
  2. It wont work and about 300-350 bucks will be spent for no good reason!

5 vote(s)
    38.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Molvol

Molvol Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Can someone confirm or clarify please. ncgi89 mentions his 40-40pin cable is k1n-3040055-h39. But others mention k1n-3040052-h39 is also a 40 to 40pin cable. Notice the difference is just one number. Searching these two items on the internet brings up lots of pictures of different cables, some are clearly not suitable for a 63VR, almost all dumb sellers do not include high resolution photos of the one connector that matters :confused:

Are there two numbers for the 6th and 7th generation models? Is there a difference? Does anyone have a k1n-3040052-h39 cable confirmed with 40pin edp connector? Thanks!!!

2. NYCtech

NYCtech Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Oh I feel like crap now. I just sold my gs40 phantom looking to buy an igzo OLED AW13, I should have just upgraded the panel. DURRRR me :-(

3. Molvol

Molvol Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    My swap worked, but wasn't too smooth. I ordered both cables I mentioned above and the k1n-3040052-h39 cannot be used on a GS63. I deciphered the pinout and it's totally different, will fry your GS63 if used there as I guess it is mechanically compatible (not the mic/webcam connector, though). It's for a GT72 IIRC.

The k1n-3040055-h39 cable works fine so far, even though it is for an earlier model GS63. I used a B156ZAN02.3 panel. I would have liked B156ZAN02.1 with 100% RGB, but the brackets are different and I'd have to grind and cut on the laptop to make it fit ... no time for that. Besides, the original MSI 4k panel is listed on panelook as "signal interface position reverse" whatever that may mean... The B156ZAN02.3 has the same, while the B156ZAN02.1 does not. I compared the pinout and they are all identical, but I don't know what that "reverse" means, so maybe something won't work properly.
    It worked perfect right out of the box including the brightness adjustment. No issues whatsoever with Windows 7 or the Bios (which scales fullscreen just fine). Everything worked immediately and no settings required any changes.

The only issue is mechanical. The cable is a bit too long and there is no space and it's rather stiff, so wrestling that into the lid and through the hinge is a bit of a PITA. Right now I have the excess cable under the panel's circuit board, but there is still a small bump on the bezel. Also, getting the bezel off is really hard and tears off tape off the existing panel. I used quite a bit of heat from an IR source, but it didn't make it simple. Although it's no problem getting the bezel off without damage, the double sided tape suffered a bit and I have no idea what to use in place, so I just reused what was on there. It's very strong.

So I have a K1N3040074H39 (30pin cable) and a panel N156HGE-EAL with no pixel defect for sale if anyone is interested ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.